360 will not run

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
Just installed a 360 in a valiant motor has good oil pressure and gets fire and gas . Motor acts like it wants to run but will not any suggestions y it won't run thanks

with next to zero information as to what we are dealing with here such as

symptom description
timing
carburetion
ignition
cam
etc etc

I would guess there may be a gerbil in the carb

Put the engine at TDC, then take off the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.

It should be pointing at #1 cylinder and #1 location on the distributor cap.

If not, make where ever the rotor is pointing #1 position on the distributor. Then follow the firing order in the direction of rotation for the distributor.

Make sure that the distributor rotor points to the #1 position on the cap and then try cranking it over.

Put the engine at TDC, then take off the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.

It should be pointing at #1 cylinder and #1 location on the distributor cap.

If not, make where ever the rotor is pointing #1 position on the distributor. Then follow the firing order in the direction of rotation for the distributor.

Make sure that the distributor rotor points to the #1 position on the cap and then try cranking it over.

make sure you are at TDC firing....the piston will come to tdc twice....

I assume this is a engine you know something about internally and not one you're just blindly installing and hoping to run?

A little more info...
Is this an old junk yard 30 year old motor or fresh rebuild?
If a junk yard motor, I bet the timing chain is junk.
If rebuilt most likely you have the distributor in 180 out.

If rebuilt most likely you have the distributor in 180 out.

Or the distributor drive gear is not in the "factory" position. that's why i told him to check it and how to fix it by moving the wires on the distributor cap.

Hey Ryan

I've done this in the past

The ballast resistor my be bad. Jump across it for a few seconds

Don't leave the jumper on for very long. Just long enough to
see if it will continue running.

Thanks Tony but ballast wasn't broke and dist. was pointing to number one. Could it be a possible ground issue

Not a ground issue if you are getting good spark.

If you are getting good spark, and gas, then it is usually getting the distributor close enough to start it.

Turn the engine to top dead center, then line up the timing mark with 10° advanced mark on the timing chain cover. Then pop off the distributor cap and rotate the distributor so the rotor is pointing to the #1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap. Then put it together and crank it up. (assuming the correct spark firing order on the cap).

Have a timing light ready to adjust the timing as soon as you can get it started long enough to get it done.

Are you sure that it's not a gas issue? Maybe pour a little bit of gas down the carb with the throttle held open before you crank it over, hold the pedal all the way to the floor and crank it till it starts and see if it will run any longer.

Basically, if you are getting fuel, spark, and air -->> it should run. Just a matter of adjusting the timing to get it fired up for the first time and then setting the timing. (as long as all your other components are good).

you can have all the fuel/air/spark you want and still not get fire. You need compression. thumb over #1 and rotate with breaker bar, on compression look at timing and see if mark is coming up. You may be off in cam timing, distributor timing, wired the cap in the wrong direction (BTDT) lots of stuff. also make sure your drawing a vacuum, look at a gauge when cranking for some action.

you can have all the fuel/air/spark you want and still not get fire. You need compression. thumb over #1 and rotate with breaker bar, on compression look at timing and see if mark is coming up. You may be off in cam timing, distributor timing, wired the cap in the wrong direction (BTDT) lots of stuff. also make sure your drawing a vacuum, look at a gauge when cranking for some action.

Good point.

-
Back