383 combo advice

-

DDS74

Reaction score
After much time and money I have the bottom end of my 383 back together and was looking to give it a little bit more power, and was looking for your advice if you think the whole package will work well, and maybe what it'll produce.

The bottom end is a .030 over '69 383 that has the stock rods and crank with KB hyper pistons, and ARP bolts throughout and studs on the mains, and a standard volume oil pump with a stock 402 pan.

Now for a cam it has a comp cams XE285HL hydraulic flat tappet cam in it.

For the top end I was thinking/planning on going with a pair of Indy EZs standard port heads with crane cams gold roller rockers in 1.6 ratio, the dual springs that comp recommends and the thinnest head gaskets I can get to keep the compression up. The intake I currently have is a performer rpm with 750 holley and it's all lit with a MSD dizzy and box.

This is going to be a mainly strip car with maybe 500 miles of street a year.
Any input is welcome, thanks!

What is the car/package it's going into? Where/how do you plan to race it?

It's a 74 Dart Sport with a built 727 and a 4.30 rear gear and it weighs about 3200 with me in it. And I race it at rock falls raceway in Wisconsin its a 1/4 mile.

I haven't checked it with an caliper, but I'd say within .010. My hope was to run e85 but if the math I did is close, it would be around 10.2 to 1 compression. Which wouldn't dictate running ethanol.

The Trick Flow heads would be your best bet. They come out of the box fully CNC ported. Compare the flow numbers and the price tag with the Indy EZ setup and I think you'll be surprised.

You really want to make sure where the pistons are in relation to the deck. B wedges are usually way, way off and you may not have the compression you think you do.

valve notches in the pistons? piston to valve clearance is a concern. I have a 383 in my dart that went 11.82 in the quarter with 8.8:1 compression and OOTB eddy heads. I drive the car all over. the little 383 can run hard. you are going to NEED a good converter. talk to frank lupo at dynamic. I have a 4500 stall 9 1/2 converter that is dynomite!

valve notches in the pistons? piston to valve clearance is a concern. I have a 383 in my dart that went 11.82 in the quarter with 8.8:1 compression and OOTB eddy heads. I drive the car all over. the little 383 can run hard. you are going to NEED a good converter. talk to frank lupo at dynamic. I have a 4500 stall 9 1/2 converter that is dynomite!

You need to repost the burnout pic of your "low compression " 383!

Are the Trick Flows that much better? I always thought that the Indys were the top of the line, plus the Indys have a 3cc smaller combustion chamber. Which ones have better potential for room to grow so to speak? Heck will they even work on a 383? In one of the other threads it showed the chamber being over 4.30". So would they even work?

Here are some INTAKE air flows for OOTB Indy EZ standard port, OOTB Edelbrock RPM and OOTB TrickFlow heads, all from the same flow bench. I think I would use an Edelbrock RPM before I used a standard port EZ on the 383.

Lift...............Indy..............RPM...........TrickFlow

Valve sizes...2.19/1.81......2.14/1.81.....2.19/1.76

So, if the Indy EZ is going to work on a 383 bore, the TrickFlow certainly will. Pretty sure younggun2.0 is running TrickFlow heads on his 383. Even with 1.6 rockers on the XE285HL I believe you'll be okay valve to cylinder wall, and the valve notches on the KB pistons should give you valve to piston clearance. But as always you need to measure those things during the build.

As to the most future potential? The TrickFlow hasn't been tested there yet, but with an intake valve size increase the Indy EZ can go 360cfm+.

And that's what I'm looking for, because the long term goal is to swap the heads onto a 440 that has yet to be built. So I want the potential for more.

And that's what I'm looking for, because the long term goal is to swap the heads onto a 440 that has yet to be built. So I want the potential for more.

It is my personal belief that the TrickFlow will do everything that the EZ head will do, I just haven't proven it yet.

So what you need is a head to be ported out. And/or chopped up.

Those were your flow bench results?
Those numbers should take care of most builds. Plenty of power can be found in those numbers.

It's a 74 Dart Sport with a built 727 and a 4.30 rear gear and it weighs about 3200 with me in it. And I race it at rock falls raceway in Wisconsin its a 1/4 mile.
I used to live 45 minutes from the slippery rock! Plan on getting out there to see what the new surface is like this summing in my 383 Demon!

I'm really hoping they lose that nick name this year!! (slippery rock) but speaking of heads IMM engines "IQ52" I think sorry if I'm wrong, did my rpms about 5or6 years ago and on my mellow 512 (400 based) engine they are great!!! 69 steel dart 10.12 @ 132 car picked up about 1/2 sec and still going strong. Leaf springs and a 9 inch slick..

I see a solid tappet cam in the future. although I could be wrong . lol

I think eventually it'll be a getting a roller, but we're getting off topic here. I would like to know which one you guys would recommend, the Trick Flows or the Indys? I plan to buy them from Hughes Engines, would I still need to take them to a machine shop then? Sorry for all the questions this is my first performance build, and I want to get it right. Thanks!

I think IQ and Andy answered your question. Trickflows will be the best bang for the buck.

Here are some INTAKE air flows for OOTB Indy EZ standard port, OOTB Edelbrock RPM and OOTB TrickFlow heads, all from the same flow bench. I think I would use an Edelbrock RPM before I used a standard port EZ on the 383.

Lift...............Indy..............RPM...........TrickFlow

Valve sizes...2.19/1.81......2.14/1.81.....2.19/1.76

So, if the Indy EZ is going to work on a 383 bore, the TrickFlow certainly will. Pretty sure younggun2.0 is running TrickFlow heads on his 383. Even with 1.6 rockers on the XE285HL I believe you'll be okay valve to cylinder wall, and the valve notches on the KB pistons should give you valve to piston clearance. But as always you need to measure those things during the build.

As to the most future potential? The TrickFlow hasn't been tested there yet, but with an intake valve size increase the Indy EZ can go 360cfm+.
Wow, the TrickFlow heads are looking better and better. What really catches my eye is the mid lift flow. With those numbers one could build an engine that makes a solid 650 hp with a valvetrain that goes for a very long time without needing to replace parts in the valvetrain. No need for more than .600 lift.

-
Back