383 power upgrade help

-
Also, keep this in mind. A STONE STOCK 383HP engine was rated at 425LBFT of torque. Just a little FYI.

Yep! HP is a little low. Just add headers, change the intake (yes I know he has a rpm already) add a 750 carb and cam accordingly.
It’s wake up time for that mill.

Thanks for posting the intended use of the car.

A BB A-body daily driven to school. NO drag strip and driven on the freeway.

Use the 516 heads. Get a Hughes hydraulic cam, not too big either. You don't need to get wild with the parts. It will be plenty of power and reliable, which is what you need in this car.

I haven’t had set of the CNC’d stealths here since the porting has been moved away from MCH…….so I can’t comment on them.
I’ve had several people talk to me about prepping a set of those, but to this point…….the money hasn’t made sense for that to happen yet.

Along with the prep and parts upgrades that were being discussed, it started getting close to the cost of TF240’s.

I agree with the idea of optimizing what’s there already(516’s), and going with a cam that’s in the low 220’s, and a set of headers.

The pistons being flat tops doesn’t help much.
They could still be way down the hole.
I’d want to know exactly what I had in that dept before I ordered heads or a cam.
For example, a Silvolite 1271 in an uncut block is down the hole about .085”.
Those pistons used with 80cc heads and .020” gasket puts you at about 8.5:1.

Last edited:
it has a edelbrock intake I don’t remember which one though I want to get nice headers but I don’t know what will fit on my car it has power steering and so I don’t know exactly which ones will fit
okay just checked and verified I have a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
That intake is a goodun. Plan on using it.

I haven’t had set of the CNC’d stealths here since the porting has been moved away from MCH…….so I can’t comment on them.
I’ve had several people talk to me about prepping a set of those, but to this point…….the money hasn’t made sense for that to happen yet.

Along with the prep and parts upgrades that were being discussed, it started getting close to the cost of TF240’s.

I agree with the idea of optimizing what’s there already(516’s), and going with a cam that’s in the low 220’s, and a set of headers.

The pistons being flat tops doesn’t help much.
They could still be way down the hole.
I’d want to know exactly what I had in that dept before I ordered heads or a cam.
For example, a Silvolite 1271 in an uncut block is down the hole about .085”.
Those pistons used with 80cc heads and .020” gasket puts you at about 8.5:1.
Okay thank you for your experience and information that will definitely help

I originally wanted to build my 383 just like Steve Dulcich's 383 wreck runner sounds nasty and has good power does anyone now what that set up was i believe it was fairly stock no?

Does anyone know if the Trick Flow heads will work on a 383?

I originally wanted to build my 383 just like Steve Dulcich's 383 wreck runner sounds nasty and has good power does anyone now what that set up was i believe it was fairly stock no?
What episode do I have to watch to see what the did?

Does anyone know if the Trick Flow heads will work on a 383?
Trick Flow advertises them to fit the 383, 400, and 440 so I believe they do when i first looked at getting aluminum heads I didn't know that they can't just be slapped right on wish they could I also do not know how much it would cost to have them checked i don't need to have them ported do I? another reason I want aluminum heads is because TTI's full length 3 inch headers say they fit all the aluminum heads we've mentioned and 906 452 915 but did not mention 516 heads

Trick Flow advertises them to fit the 383, 400, and 440 so I believe they do when i first looked at getting aluminum heads I didn't know that they can't just be slapped right on wish they could I also do not know how much it would cost to have them checked i don't need to have them ported do I? another reason I want aluminum heads is because TTI's full length 3 inch headers say they fit all the aluminum heads we've mentioned and 906 452 915 but did not mention 516 heads
Thanks for the video link because I don’t keep in my head what other people do. Famous or not. I have my own crap I can’t keep up with!
:lol:

I thought I seen TF make a mention of a minimum bore size.
The lack of a mention of a certain cylinder head casting number doesn’t mean it won’t work. Always check but AFAIK, all the big block exhaust ports have the same bolt pattern & port size.

If I’m wrong, someone tell me so!

Thanks for the video link because I don’t keep in my head what other people do. Famous or not. I have my own crap I can’t keep up with!
:lol:

I thought I seen TF make a mention of a minimum bore size.
Think it's 4.32"
The lack of a mention of a certain cylinder head casting number doesn’t mean it won’t work. Always check but AFAIK, all the big block exhaust ports have the same bolt pattern & port size.

If I’m wrong, someone tell me so!

Trick flow states this for the 240 on their website. "Longer than stock pushrods may be required. Minimum bore size is 4.320 in."

Trick flow states this for the 240 on their website. "Longer than stock pushrods may be required. Minimum bore size is 4.320 in."
Humm, that’s weird because 2.19 + 1.76 = 3.95.

4.320 - 3.950 = .370
4.250 - 3.950 = .300

Not enough room for a 383 bore? Makes me wonder where the valve are sitting.

Humm, that’s weird because 2.19 + 1.76 = 3.95.

4.320 - 3.950 = .370
4.250 - 3.950 = .300

Not enough room for a 383 bore? Makes me wonder where the valve are sitting.
My guess it's got more to do with valve shrouding than physically fitting cause if a stock 440 is bare minimum a 4.34-4.375+ ain't all that much bigger.

I got a set of TF 240's for my 440 build. The builder was very impressed by the quality right out of the box. The valve job compared to other heads he's seen was excellent. I went with Harland-Sharp 1.6 rockers and a solid roller cam for my build. He said the valve spring pressure was too stout for my street driving so we changed that but left the titanium retainers on them. I'm using the Edelbrock Performer w/quick fuel 780 VS carb. Gearing is 3.23 w/TF 727 and rear Nitto 255/50/17. Great street package.

I'd say 440 source heads from what I've had my hands on ( several pairs) are equal in quality to the rpm head and better quality than Edelbrock e-street heads.
The internal parts like seats and valves are not high quality but not bad with stealth.
E-street has cheaper parts.
Which is why both heads are affordable.
I personally have had to do much more clean up work on e-street.

I did not see the answer as to what pistons and how far in the hole they are?

If your compression is low and you want a bump, I would suggest the Eddie E street 75 chamber (5090). if you are ok for compression then the cheaper Stealth would be the best budget option.

Regardless of where they are made, my understanding is the castings are almost identical.

Regardless of where they are made, my understanding is the castings are almost identical.

Whooooooooaaaaaaa

You need to look at some pictures because the Stealth head looks very much so like a stock head and the Edelbrock is very obvious it is not.

I thought the runners and chambers were similar to the eddie casting? I stand corrected.

Just use eddy rpm heads with a 75cc chamber. Unless you have the + .020 above deck magnum Pistons you will need the smallest chamber heads to get any reasonable compression. I've also used .020 steel shim gaskets with some copper coat and never had a leak. If you have the clearance.

Also, keep this in mind. A STONE STOCK 383HP engine was rated at 425LBFT of torque. Just a little FYI.
Is stone better than bone when it comes to stock 383 hp's asking for a friend lol

-
Back