383 vs 360 in an A 68 Cuda

-
Love the logic on this site if someone wants to build something smaller than a 360 no replacement for displacement 360 is the way to go, if bigger than 360 no reason for big block 360 can be built to similar level, and if you need big size dump a bunch of money into a 360 to make it the same size a 400 is stock and a 383 can get close to with an overbore and 440 eclipse. Cause we all know how smaller bore breath better than larger ones :).

Big blocks stronger and more power potential.

Don't get me wrong (and I'm one of the guys who promote big blocks). I was promoting 360s when nobody else was (early 1980s). 340s were already hard to find and guys were afraid to build a "cast crank" motor. I had already been around a healthy 360 and knew the potential. I still promote the 360 for guys that want a small block, but I've driven a stock 440s and a stock 340. There is a huge difference in road manners, especially when it come to climbing a hill. The 440 doesn't even notice the hill...My son's 383/4sp Barracuda was relatively stock with a bit more cam. It had great road manners. Then when you get to a show there's nothing like popping the hood to draw a crowd...

One of the main reason to go big block is gearing, torque displacement and gearing are interrelated to one another. Since most would like to getaway with as high a rear gear as they can, a 440 can go 2 or 3 rear gear higher and perform similar to same hp 360, a 383 should be able to getaway with one. Thats why 318/273 isn't the best way most of the time cause they need 2-4 rear gears deeper which very few will do.

Last edited:
I ran just about every variation of small block from 273 to 360 back in the 1980's, but stroker cranks were not readily available back then. When I built my last car I decided to go big block for something different. I have to say the big block torque does make it a lot of fun to drive on the street.

IMG_4492.JPG

I daily drove a 383 Magnum in the early 90s for about 5 years.in Tampa. DAILY. worked out of Her. A 68 Coronet with an A-833. .474 Purple shaft, Wieand Single plane, headers, MP electronic kit, 750 Holley.... yes ,not an A, but dammit Man, that was a Badass Mill. Started w/ 3:23, went 3:55, then 4:56 ( w/ open Headers, till I Fried some bias plys) and back to 3:55s. LOVED THAT GAL AND MISS STILL!

Love the logic on this site if someone wants to build something smaller than a 360 no replacement for displacement 360 is the way to go, if bigger than 360 no reason for big block 360 can be built to similar level, and if you need big size dump a bunch of money into a 360 to make it the same size a 400 is stock and a 383 can get close to with an overbore and 440 eclipse. Cause we all know how smaller bore breath better than larger ones :).

Cou

exactly... 318s are garbage.....why would you want a big block....my 360 my 408 blah blah blah **** you and your 360 almost as bad as the LS crowd!!!
Sorry kinda having a grumpy day here lol

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the responses . The winner for me after much research is a 383 with a 450 stroker kit and 150 shot of NOS .
The" easy" to find 360 LA blocks are not so easy to find and builder 5.9 Magnums are indeed every where but not cheap. $750 to $1000 for a builder in Chicago land. Been looking for 4 weeks . Put the $$$ towards the 383 . I have 2 69 383 blocks , I have read that compared to a 5.9 magnum the casting is much thicker in critical area,s .
Plus 440 Source Heads at $1100, vs Good aftermarket 5.9 heads, cool factor, forget about it . thumbs up 383

Saw another LA 360 on Facebook yesterday for 200.00. Ad said everything included but the one head needed a seat.

Thank you for all of the responses . The winner for me after much research is a 383 with a 450 stroker kit and 150 shot of NOS .
The" easy" to find 360 LA blocks are not so easy to find and builder 5.9 Magnums are indeed every where but not cheap. $750 to $1000 for a builder in Chicago land. Been looking for 4 weeks . Put the $$$ towards the 383 . I have 2 69 383 blocks , I have read that compared to a 5.9 magnum the casting is much thicker in critical area,s .
Plus 440 Source Heads at $1100, vs Good aftermarket 5.9 heads, cool factor, forget about it . thumbs up 383
That's gonna be a mid size monster! Brutal! I love a 383.

I figured I'd throw my inexperienced opinion so I wouldn't feel left out.
My project was originally equipped with a 273. It had a running 318 that I didn't purchase with the car.
I have family members on both sides of the family who have multiple 440s and parts.
Easy access to reasonably priced parts was too much to pass up for a smaller engine that would have less power per dollar spent.
TTI full length headers will be the biggest BBM to A body part that I'll have to buy.

Hows the fit with tti’s on a B- low deck on an A body? How much denting? Hard to justify the price if u have to “modify” them….

Hows the fit with tti’s on a B- low deck on an A body? How much denting? Hard to justify the price if u have to “modify” them….
I think if it was me (and it might be) I would buy the cheapest set of b-body big block headers I could get, uncoated, and do whatever bending, beating, or modifying that needed to be done to get them to fit..... then send em out to be coated.
I have a pair of custom made 440 a-body headers.... but they require butchering the inner fenders, and they are too big for anything less than a 700hp 540.

My "new" 68 has a 451 stroker based off a 400 block It has power steering and headers with Schumacher mounts. It's a handful to drive compared to my 340 68.

OMJN5853.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

My "new" 68 has a 451 stroker based off a 400 block It has power steering and headers with Schumacher mounts. It's a handful to drive compared to my 340 68.

View attachment 1716007931

View attachment 1716007932

In what way is it a handful? Far too many of these big block conversions had nothing done to the suspension. I've put 600 miles on my son's 440/4sp Dart convertible in a weekend. It's basically got stock big block suspension (torsion bars and sway bar). It's not a handful at all. My other son's '67 fastback (383/4sp) has 1.14" torsion bars and 1.25" front sway bar along with a rear sway bar and home built heavy duty spring stack. It was EASY to drive and not harsh at all.

In what way is it a handful? Far too many of these big block conversions had nothing done to the suspension. I've put 600 miles on my son's 440/4sp Dart convertible in a weekend. It's basically got stock big block suspension (torsion bars and sway bar). It's not a handful at all. My other son's '67 fastback (383/4sp) has 1.14" torsion bars and 1.25" front sway bar along with a rear sway bar and home built heavy duty spring stack. It was EASY to drive and not harsh at all.

I read it as "throttle control is more important". Like if he drove it with the 451 like he did the 340, all it did is paint lines on the pavement and get sideways. I could be wrong though.

Exactly I didn't mean to imply the car is unsafe it's so powerful. I meant if your hard on the gas leaving a red light your going to smoke the tires. This thing has gobs of torque the 340 never had. It tracks straight , steers where you point it BUT you better RESPECT IT!!!

Exactly I didn't mean to imply the car is unsafe it's so powerful. I meant if your hard on the gas leaving a red light your going to smoke the tires. This thing has gobs of torque the 340 never had. It tracks straight , steers where you point it BUT you better RESPECT IT!!!
That's why I love Big blocks! That instant brute torque!

Some people have mentioned reduced handling on big block conversions. If you use aluminum heads and intake, I do not think the weight difference is much when compared to an all iron small block. My 440 Barracuda handles just fine for me - however, this is a subjective thing. As far as difficulty of install - how bad to you want the big block? A low deck fits easier - but the RB fits easily too.

cuda underhood.jpg

I actually did a part by part weight comparison between the original 318 and my 400 stroker, and after adding headers aluminum intake and deleting the A/C compressor and power steering it was about the same weight

-
Back