383 vs 360 in an A 68 Cuda

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Is really much more difficult to install a 383 in an A body vs a SB ? I would like to have power steering

With the vast options available these days to make big HP/TQ numbers with small blocks, the only reason I can think of to shoehorn a BB in an A body would be that it came with one from the factory.

not a shoehorn....all kinds of room on a low-deck big block. This one has OEM K and manual steering, Schumacher conversion mounts, 833 / 4-speed, TTi exhaust.
the only mod was the #7 primary header tube need modified (cut and slightly moved) for clutch shaft clearance. Since this build about 10 years ago, maybe TTi changed that pipe because the mod would work with auto also.

Might be a little tight with power steering.

20191013_163936.jpg

20191013_163843.jpg

Yes it is A LOT harder to put a 383 in an A-Body when a 360 will bolt right in and plenty of exhaust options. I have owned a factory power steering 383 Dart GTS for almost 44 years now, so anything is possible. It all depends on your skill level...

The only draw back IMO is simply the weight and where the weight sits. Headers and there fitment can’t be a happy thing ether but I’m sure you can get what ever diameter header pipe you need in the car.

If you're starting from scratch the swap is viable and not too difficult if you have good mechanical skills.
I did the big block swap in the late 70's when I was 16. I've only owned big block powered Mopar cars.
That said, if I were doing it today I would install a roller 360 and never look back.
A roller 408 would be my choice since the modern Hemi swap wasn't mentioned.

My opinion only! Unless it came with a 383 from the factory, I wouldn't bother swapping in a 383 when a 408 is bigger, lighter, fits better, and can make equivalent power. I WOULD swap in a stroker 440, or better yet, a stroker 400, if real power is desired. That's what I plan for my 67 barracuda.

It depends what you want. If you want a B engine for the cool factor, do it. More work, sure, but if that's what you want.
A 400 can easily be stroked out to around 500 cu in, and with aluminum heads, intake manifold and water pump, you can get the weight down to just a little bit more than a 360. Power steering was an option in '69, so if you really want it, it can be done.

Just in simple terms of the big and small debate, cubic inches aside since you can stroke ether, it’s your call. Once someone mentions stroker small block, I say fine, let me do the same to the big block which can be cheaper to do (short block only)

I own an original '68 cuda, 383, 4-sp, P/S car and I love it. If I was to "build" a '68 cuda, I would definitely go small block. I like the idea of a sbm 426 with Tremic.

The only reason I would go big block in a body is if it was a Max effort build and I needed more than 600 horses 600 foot pounds of torque or maybe I was just setting it up for a drag car and I was going to be pounding on it the big block is a little more robust overall. In my opinion the small block package is a thing of beauty and will develop horsepower and torque ride alongside a 383 if properly built.

Go for the wow factor of a big block in an A body. I am going to do a 383 in my 68 B'cuda ragtop (original 318 car) in a few years when I build the car. I have choices. I have a complete 69 hp 383 out of a go-fast optioned Fury, and I have a complete 63 or 64 383 out of a Newport. Also have a 440 crank and rods from a motor home laying around. My initial plan is to stroke the 63/4 motor with the 440 crank. Time will tell. I also have 2 360 LA blocks I could build.

The WOW factor for me would be a 500+ HP stroked small block.
If I were going for the visual WOW, it would be a Hemi.
WOW is for brand Xer's, Mopar guy's only care about POWER.
Build enough power to twist a stock Mopar chassis into a pretzel then you have enough power.

Is really much more difficult to install a 383 in an A body vs a SB ? I would like to have power steering

BTW nobody has asked, but which A body do you have? some have more available space for BB swaps than others...
Also, I’m not talking someone out of a BB swap that really wants it, just sayin’ it’s more involved, especially if you want to keep power steering.

not a shoehorn....all kinds of room on a low-deck big block. This one has OEM K and manual steering, Schumacher conversion mounts, 833 / 4-speed, TTi exhaust.
the only mod was the #7 primary header tube need modified (cut and slightly moved) for clutch shaft clearance. Since this build about 10 years ago, maybe TTi changed that pipe because the mod would work with auto also.

Might be a little tight with power steering.

View attachment 1715853184

View attachment 1715853185

That’s a very clean install - I admire your work.
Other than the obvious (cool factor, power, torque) maybe you could outline some advantages to having a BB in an A body.

That’s a very clean install - I admire your work.
Other than the obvious (cool factor, power, torque) maybe you could outline some advantages to having a BB in an A body.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

I originally acquired this 23K mile Duster from my buddy HemiMark who was on the verge of trading it for a truck. No plans, just did not want to let it get away. When my 70's street racing buddy learned I had the car, he ask me if i would sell it to him. I told him on two conditions....1) He lets me put a 383 / 4-speed / 8-3/4 in it (like was in his 69 RoadRunner....in 70). 2) when he is ready to sell it, he calls me first. He called me a year ago and my brother and I immediately bought it. When Butch Leal saw it at The Nats, Butch asked me if I would sell it to him. I asked my brother what he wanted to do. The next day my brother asked me if he could buy me out. I said sure and he pulled the cash out of his pocket. It is his now...and likely will never be publicly for sale.

BTW....you are looking at original paint and original black interior. The 6 cyl is tucked in the corner of his garage and the 3 speed found a new home in a 66 Dart.

20201211_145648.jpg

Last edited:
A GEN 3 stroked to 426, if I was 20 years old again. :D
If ya got the green, then THIS is the car you want.
[FOR SALE] - 68 fastback for sale

I have had the good fortune to hang with the owner Keith a few times and get a ride in his Gen 3 HEMI 426 stroker.
This IS an awesome car that has subtle and obvious changes done that are really nice and tasteful.

Nobody asked. Can he afford a stroker? Is he starting from stratch? What parts does he have and are you just wondering which would/could be faster?

With the vast options available these days to make big HP/TQ numbers with small blocks, the only reason I can think of to shoehorn a BB in an A body would be that it came with one from the factory.
Like you said there were some from the factory

My opinion is if you want power steering, then just stick with the small block. No sense choking a big block with manifolds even though 550 has been made with them but in a b-body and Andy Finkbiener was the builder and it wasn't a 383 either.
I say stick with the small block because it's already a good easy fit with p/s. You can get the 383 power levels fairly simple with under 100 pounds weight savings.
I'm building a big block but it's going to be a race car

-
Back