390 stroker ?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a few questions for you Guys who have built a 318/390.Is a 1974 block good enough?Any modificatinons need to be done to the block?What heads are you guys running?What cam,carb,and intake are you running?What kind of horse power are you Guys getting?I am thinking about building one for my 67 Barracuda.It is a 4 speed car and I am going with a 355 or 373 gear?I would like 400-450 HP.Maybe a 408 or 416 build would be better?

Thanks,Jim

why don't you just build a 360 ? for that hp range it can be done quite easily with a well prepped combo. if you are dead set on building a stroker 390 again why not just use a 360 block and build a 408. there are tons of them out there. stock edelbrock heads with a holley strip dominator 830-850 carb and a fairly large flat tappet hydraulic cam 10.5:1 comp and a good set of headers will get you right around 500 hp with alot of torque. i love my 416. it makes an honest 550 hp in my 4 gear 70 challenger. it's a light package that really screams running 7.30's in the 1/8 mile. mine w2 race heads a tunnel ram with 2 660's and a large solid lifter cam. 10.5:1 and 2" headers. used to be holley strip dominator and an 830 holley (i tried alot of carbs and i always seemed to go back to this carb except when i went to a tinnel ram )

390 strokers perform just as good as a 408. Cost the same, so if you have a 318 you want to use, go for it. For the power level your looking for, warmed over, bowl ported stock J heads will work just fine. A 1.94/1.60 valve set will work good. Weiand Stealth intake, Voodoo 60404, 750 carb. Its a must in my shop to install main studs with any HP or stroker combo. Oiling mods should be done, as well as the Canton oil filter plate http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-22-575/ and Cloyes timing tensioner http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLO-9-5387/.

It should make at least 425hp and 500+tq, have nice street manners and pull hard.

I was thinking that the only disadvantage was that the 390 combo used a more expensive piston?

The problem used to be that Diamond were the only forged 390 slugs available and, yes, they are quite pricey. The KB/Icon range is pretty competitively priced though, and I believe Wiseco now offer 390 pistons.

The problem used to be that Diamond were the only forged 390 slugs available and, yes, they are quite pricey. The KB/Icon range is pretty competitively priced though, and I believe Wiseco now offer 390 pistons.

Good info there.

450 hp from a small block stroker is no problem, just put a decent set of heads on it.

My 410 (360) stroker has a small solid roller cam, 10.8:1 compression, ported Edelbrock heads, a little 750 carb, and runs on 93 octane pump gas. It makes about 530 hp, very street friendly and in street trim (through the mufflers) runs 6.8's @ 99mph in the 1/8 mile.

The same combo on a 318 block would run close to the same.

We sell the 390 kits too, And we are a Vendor/Sponsor for this web site.

We sell the 390 with SCAT Cast crank, I beam rods, Icon dish or FT(3.940" Bore), performance rings, RB, MB, Balanced for $1560. With forged crank, its $1960.

The only diff with using the 318 block is slightly smaller bore. Other than that a 4" crank in a 318 block is gonna make some killer power if you get some good heads and cam on it.

I recommend Scat I-beam rods. Strong and no block modifications needed.

Definately go with a 4" crank set up if your budget allows. Having big block torque with the weight and size of a small block is a great combination.

We sell the 390 kits too, And we are a Vendor/Sponsor for this web site.

We sell the 390 with SCAT Cast crank, I beam rods, Icon dish or FT(3.940" Bore), performance rings, RB, MB, Balanced for $1560. With forged crank, its $1960.
just wondering..Will you be vending in Carlise in July?

Most side clearance issues I've found with various rods was more because the standard width rod bearings were used and they interfered with the fillet on the crank. Run the narrow bearings and you should be more than fine with side clearance.

I meant block/ rod bolt clearances. Or was it side clearance that 340s is talking about?

-69' 318 block
-Scat 9000 4.00 crank
-Scat 4340 I-Beam Rods

-
Back