4-Door with 340 from the factory?

-
66 B body 361 was a 2 barrel.

When I worked at the gas station, I drove a 78-ish Aspen wagon that was a 360, four speed with bucket seats, and it was purple (not plum crazy, but more of a maroon).

All factory.

Owned by average 50 year old couple.

I owned a 20k miles Aspen Coupe with a 318 4sp in that color. Note exotic but it was essentially new.

My son's 1967 Dart GT convertible looks very factory (440/4sp/Barracuda dash). We can tell who knows and who doesn't by their reaction when looking at the fleet car fender tag. Unfortunately I'm never around when they go ape over how "rare" the car is. It's my wife that gets to try to explain it to them. They always say that she doesn't know...

A friend told me you could in 1969 and 1970 order your 4 door dart with the 340. He said his uncle had one.

enough said right there. a friends uncle had one.. i'll bet he also had a car with 440 HEMI IN IT TOO,...

back in 62 i knew a little ole lady she was from pasadena she bought a brand new shiny red super stock 413 dodge. she kept it in a rickity old garage. of course she shut everybody down except me.i just flat out could fly in that factory turbine

It had to be in Sept. of 62 because it was a 63 Shiny red dodge. New cars came out in Sept. and it was always exciting to see what was coming out of Detroit.

come on, loosen up. most of these memories are interesting as only possible due to ma mopar doing wierd stuff. do I care if the stories are verifiable? NO

I recommend the asses here get a life, if the stories seem non plausible, you don't have to read them. go do something else, TV, whatever. there is no harm in the stories. It appears there are a few very bored people here that have nothing else better to do than to rag on others.
if the story is myth, let it go . who the hell cares?
has anyone here ever sat around drinking with buddies telling stories about what they observed, although maybe they weren't experts? That was half the fun, the story. People here come for the story, so give them a break.

Last edited:
Here is one for you guys. In 73 I was leaving school in my orange swinger. I saw a 71 demon Sizzler orange coming the other way.I had no clue what a Sizzler was then. It made a left in front of me and what I noticed was the orange accessed grille and orange bucket interior. I thought it was ugly with that interior back then. But I can recall it having a orange front bumper. I always talked about this car. There was a lady driving the car and it was going into a area of town that had no outlet.

At the end of last summer I was driving through Northampton sitting in traffic at a light and to my surprise it was coming the other way. I couldn't believe it. It did have a orange bumper and there were no bumper bolts that I could see. It looked like the same lady she had to be in here 90's . I turned around and went looking for her at shopping centers and drove all over. She was gone. It was 318 I could here it was a V8 and stick heard her shift as she went by. Rear wing on the car. This lady must have this car for 51 years. This summer I am knocking on doors in the area where I first saw the car. Well My wife will . They always answer for women. I am determined to find it. I'll get pictures. Hopefully in my driveway.
Keep us posted, PLEASE! I don't remember ever seeing any factory painted or elastomeric bumper a bodies...

come on, loosen up. most of these memories are interesting as only possible due to ma mopar doing wierd stuff. do I care if the stories are verifiable? NO

I recommend the asses here get a life, if the stories seem non plausible, you don't have to read them. go do something else, TV, whatever. there is no harm in the stories. It appears there are a few very bored people here that have nothing else better to do than to rag on others.
if the story is myth, let it go . who the hell cares?
has anyone here ever sat around drinking with buddies telling stories about what they observed, although maybe they weren't experts? That was half the fun, the story. People here come for the story, so give them a break.

i see nothing but good natured ribbing going on here. YOU would be the first to do the name calling no one else! just to make sure i understand you correctly your saying one should go watch TV to get honest reliable information and come here to get false unreliable information

Seen a slant 6 in a Grain truck...WTF why did Chrysler ever do that.
Never intended to be used off of a farm, LOL! That’s where you need that cement truck compound deep reduction that they use to travel at walking speed while pouring sidewalks and roadway curbs.

Back in the 90s I had a customer with a Dodge Daytona light metallic blue.
The complete Rt side of the car was badged as a Chysler and the interior door panels were Chysler when the rest of the interior was Dodge. Her parents gave her the car new for a college graduation gift.

I have no doubt that there were some odd combinations that could have seen the light of day in the 60s and 70s. Not just from Chrysler, but any of the big 3. I knew of a 1966 Ford Custom 500 4 door sedan that was factory ordered with a 428 police interceptor and a 4 speed. Saw that car hundreds of times, it was a few blocks from my house. It was ordered that way originally because the owner lived in an area of mountains and wanted something that had plenty of power. It was passed to his son when he lost his sight at 77 years old. The son used it as a daily driver for years until it was totaled in a collision. I tried to buy it dozens of times but no luck. I have seen pictures of a 1970 or 71 Torino station wagon, also factory ordered with a 429 4 speed. Have been told about a number of GMs that were similarly ordered, but have only seen a couple. They are out there, or at least they were.

Yeah, in 75 working at a Dodge Dealer we had a Charger come in that was half Charger half Cordoba split right down the middle. Chrysler was almost bankrupt and quality control was next to none.
We got a new Aspen in that had no oil pressure. 318,only the front and rear cam bearings were in the engine.
I know,just stories,Believe it or not.

So some Chrysler executive says we won't put 340's in anything but 340 Dusters and 340 Dart Swingers. We only want to put it in light cars so it can go fast. Maybe if they put them in other cars we would have the advantage of having more around now instead of $1000 340 short blocks. I had one in a 71 340 Duster and it truly was a fast car. Later on they put them in Road Runners, after motor was detuned with lower compression and smaller valves, thanks to the Govt. again trying to control everything. I guess the 340 falls into the same category as the Hemi.

So some Chrysler executive says we won't put 340's in anything but 340 Dusters and 340 Dart Swingers. We only want to put it in light cars so it can go fast. Maybe if they put them in other cars we would have the advantage of having more around now instead of $1000 340 short blocks.

Do you know the name of the executive?

He sounds like an idiot, he should have known that the 340s were also put in E-bodies starting with the 1970 model year and in B-bodies starting with the 1971 model year.

There's nobody on this forum that can answer the question with any first hand personal knowledge.
The chance of it happening is greater than it would be today but your here stories from all the manufacturers of oddball cars being built.
One of my favorites is the 64 Fairlane wagon with the hi po 289 and four speed that the farmer drove for 20 years.
The plant employees and salespeople new how to get things done.

Go look in your copy of the Mopar Performance engine or chassis book, not sure which.
Anyway, there's a section called "special cars" where I think he lists all the 340 bodies with production numbers.

In the early 80s Larry Shepard told me there were a few B engine dusters built. I never seen any documentation on them. He was the Mopar god so I seen no reason to disbelieve him. I think maybe he meant the mule cars that had the DC K member that they put the 400 into and we’re testing cams, intakes and other performance parts. Kim. I just remembered that he said 1970 dusters with 383s. That’s is so long ago that maybe I’m remembering wrong.
But with a Dana Super tracknpak and a 4 Speed, I'd Be in Love!

Olds 350 400 and 455 is the same block.

...but head gaskets would be different.
Same basic structure, definitely NOT the same blocks, deck ht is way taller on 425-455. 350 is also not the same block as 403 which has siamesed cylinders and 1/2" head bolts.

Although I agree that anything is possible (somebody high up pulled a few strings or a mistake) but I am quite skeptical. Everything I have ever seen or read states that the 340 was only ever available in a 2 door performance oriented car.

i see nothing but good natured ribbing going on here. YOU would be the first to do the name calling no one else! just to make sure i understand you correctly your saying one should go watch TV to get honest reliable information and come here to get false unreliable information[/Q
i see nothing but good natured ribbing going on here. YOU would be the first to do the name calling no one else! just to make sure i understand you correctly your saying one should go watch TV to get honest reliable information and come here to get false unreliable information

lets see, you have posted for how long? Good natured ribbing? not likely. I f any members want accurate opinions, there are lots of guys here happy to do that without ribbing them. most members are actually very nice people.and Most members don't post to get educated, but to talk about the cars they like. If you want detailed data, go buy a real mopar book, read it, and come back again.
as far as watching tv, I was suggesting that you need a hobby other than picking at members.

-
Back