4 Speed or 727?

-
Reaction score
I am going to be building a 1973 Duster with a 440 I got out of a 1979 motor home with only 48,000 on it.
I need your opinions on this. Should I go with a 4-speed or a 727 with a shift kit? The car is automatic currently.

I don't know why people ask others this question. It is YOUR car and YOU need to make the decision. If I was physically able, and could still row a 4 speed and heavy clutch, I'd have a 4 speed. If I could afford the money, I'd have a 5 speed.

But I'm old, and I have arthritis. So I chose from the git go when I looked for a car to go TF. I use a manual shift reverse pattern valve, and it's almost as much fun.

A properly set up auto can be an impressive piece of hardware. The one big disadvantage is that there is no Mopar OD auto which does not require chopping up the floor in one of these cars.

from experience ...a four speed is cool but will add a whole bunch of money to the build .....to use a cast engine like that you are going to have pilot bearing issues and need a balanced flywheel which adds to the cost ......plus the fit will fight you .....exhaust don't usually want to go around Z-bars very easy .....a lot of issues will come up

an auto is cheaper and you just need to get your kickdown linkage right and your going to have to use console mounted shifter as column shift wont work and the build is so much more straight forward and cheaper with an auto and probably just as effective

only you know your budget but the auto will save you time, money, and work and still be very fun.....but a four speed has its allure also

this is all the reason that factory M-code cars were available as autos only

the answer is always 4 or more speed...

automatics are GREAT! `
if you are an old lady
then again even grandma drove a stick

I don't know why people ask others this question. It is YOUR car and YOU need to make the decision.

I asked this question because I like them both. They have their pro's and cons and I like what others have to say for the fun factor, function, performance, preference, better choice for the 440, ect.
Ultimately, it is my decision but I also like the input from others and what they prefer and why for what ever reason. :D

from experience ...a four speed is cool but will add a whole bunch of money to the build .....to use a cast engine like that you are going to have pilot bearing issues and need a balanced flywheel which adds to the cost ......plus the fit will fight you .....exhaust don't usually want to go around Z-bars very easy .....a lot of issues will come up

Good info. That is good to know, plus i already have the 727 from the motor home. Looks like i need to change the tail shaft though.

My 2 cents...

If it is a street car / daily driver etc definitely go 4 or 5 speed depending on your budget. Honestly, by time you buy the big block auto, rebuild it, modify or replace your shifter and buy a performance torque converter you are probably not too far off the cost of going 4 speed if you buy the bits and pieces carefully. Plus you cant put a price tag on the fun of a stick car!

If it is a race car or a street car that is going to see serious strip time and slicks go automatic, otherwise expect to break lots of parts due to the shock loading with a manual trans.

:burnout:

automatic for high hp racing, 4 spd for street showing off. plain, simple, and to the point. for me tho id go with a manual all day if i had the choice, much more fun, and more control and you can show the sound of your motor more at lights and wat not. but in the end it is your car, your build, your choice.

Go with the 4 spd until after your second knee surgery and then it's just a matter of time before you have to decide to sell the car or swap it to a 727

Attachments

• A My Demon 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 297
This question is as tough as what color to paint a car. Always love a 4 speed but never had anything bad to say about a 727. I've been going back and forth on this with my Dart but I think a 4 speed is way too much fun as long as your body can handle it.

Ive had a four speed for three years since the duster was finished,Next spring it will have a auto--the four speed is alright used to be fun but if you have ever been in a properly built high hp motor car with a reverse shifted auto it is as much if not MORE fun than a four speed,I can always say I had a 4 speed car but I look forward to changing it out also--Steve

from some experience I like both but in this case I would go auto with a manual vb I had a manual vb behind my fist mopar it had a 440 and I loved it stick are fun but after a while in town driving got old so that's my 2 cents

It's easy enough to stab an automatic where the 4-gear once lived, but the converse is not true.

Thank you guys for all the input. Lots to think about.
I would have bet it would be about even, but the standards have it so far by a long shot.

i would like to ask a question tho, why do you guys change the valve bodies over? id drive and have driven an auto 3 spd like a manual before so you can shift it yourself and still have a d for drive when you dont wanna shift? just asking cause i dont know if there was a better beneift to a manual vb verse rowing a stock vb

My 2 cents...

If it is a street car / daily driver etc definitely go 4 or 5 speed depending on your budget. Honestly, by time you buy the big block auto, rebuild it, modify or replace your shifter and buy a performance torque converter you are probably not too far off the cost of going 4 speed if you buy the bits and pieces carefully. Plus you cant put a price tag on the fun of a stick car!

If it is a race car or a street car that is going to see serious strip time and slicks go automatic, otherwise expect to break lots of parts due to the shock loading with a manual trans.

:burnout:

:sign3: over 400hp the manual will have issues sooner or later. if you are just driving casual it wont, but any serious launching and they wont last like the 727.

the 727's are not bulletproof if you don't do the burnouts correctly...
here's a thread over on BBD about this:
http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?8154-Burnout-with-727-trans

so in summary it depends on your requirements :D

-
Back