400 block

-

zigs

Reaction score
Bought a 400 block yesterday . I'm planning on stroking it . What all can I save ,rods etc. I already have a set of 915's cc lined out.

if you are stroking it the kits come with rods/pistons/crank

thus bob's answer

that being said just 400 c.i. will put out a lot of power if you are building it right.

if it's racing get 12:1 pistons run race gas get some good heads on there

if it's street get 10:1, get heads if you can afford them as well. if you cant get heads they will work but will be your limiting factor

if you do go stroker it's nice but make sure you get the right pistons in your kit if you are running race gas or pump gas it matters the most.

i'm not sure if it would be better to get good heads and skip the stroker kit or get the stroker kit and use the limited head flow.
flip a coin

if money was free you could get both

if you are racing definitely get race heads

Bought a 400 block yesterday . I'm planning on stroking it . What all can I save ,rods etc. I already have a set of 915's cc lined out.

Help the guys out. If you stroke it, are you gunna put it in a car or leave it on the engine stand? If it's going into a car, what are you going to use the car for? What kind of budget are you working with? What kind of work has been done to the "915's cc(?) lined out"?

^^ what he said...

Figure out your desired purpose/end goal for the vehicle, then work in that direction.

Help the guys out. If you stroke it, are you gunna put it in a car or leave it on the engine stand? If it's going into a car, what are you going to use the car for? What kind of budget are you working with? What kind of work has been done to the "915's cc(?) lined out"?

Why should he give us more info? Nobody else does. Why should he use theEnglish language and explained "lined out"? Everybody else uses phrases nobody understands, why can't he? Are you trying to imply that he should actually help us help him? That's a pretty progressive approach.

The 915 heads are the best BB wedge head not counting the MW. make sure if you use them to talk to whoever you buy the pistons from, you would want a flat top piston zero decked, then it depends on your stroke and what your using it for race gas or pump to figure out if the pistons will need a dish etc.. i took off the 906 and put on a set of small exh valve 915's on my stock bottom end 383 and it really woke it up. my heads came in right at 80cc if i remember correctly.

The 915 heads are the best BB wedge head not counting the MW. make sure if you use them to talk to whoever you buy the pistons from, you would want a flat top piston zero decked, then it depends on your stroke and what your using it for race gas or pump to figure out if the pistons will need a dish etc.. i took off the 906 and put on a set of small exh valve 915's on my stock bottom end 383 and it really woke it up. my heads came in right at 80cc if i remember correctly.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm

flow at .600 lift (cfm, unported heads)
906's 235 or so
516's 223 or so
eddy rpms 275 or so
stage Vi 324 or so
brodix B1 362 or so

those are all before porting.
you can use whatever heads, but your results may vary

if you are goin all out race, dont start with 906's and expect top results. you could spend a couple thousand in port money and gain 70 cfm but why start low?

if it's just a street car then the stock heads are fine

but ask around see what you can find

for instance, there is a set of heads on moparts for sale, if i wasnt into my build way past this point i would probably snag them
a set of indy mw port size heads, already ported prepped ready to go for $2850 springs valves valve covers everything the whole enchilada. already ported!
search for them they are here:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Engines&Number=8257470&page=0&fpart=all

Whoa there, Chrysler Stage VI OOTB are big pieces of poo-poo. Maybe the Chapman Stage VI heads that are no longer available (I've never tested those), might flow that much, but the Stage VI and Stage VI Max Wedge OOTB heads that you get now flow.........

lift.............STG VI.............STG VI MW

Why should he give us more info? Nobody else does. Why should he use theEnglish language and explained "lined out"? Everybody else uses phrases nobody understands, why can't he? Are you trying to imply that he should actually help us help him? That's a pretty progressive approach.

Well.......I uh........well..........you see.........uh.........there are..........uh........what was I thinking? Sorry!

Don't even keep the timing cover if you are going to use a roller cam, it flexes too much.

Keep the distributor hold down bracket and bolt. Maybe keep the valley pan plates on each end of the pan, if you use the 915 heads.

How big of a strok.....uh......er.....never mind............I don't wish Rob to chasten me again.

I need a corner to sulk.

Well.......I uh........well..........you see.........uh.........there are..........uh........what was I thinking? Sorry!

Don't even keep the timing cover if you are going to use a roller cam, it flexes too much.

Keep the distributor hold down bracket and bolt. Maybe keep the valley pan plates on each end of the pan, if you use the 915 heads.

How big of a strok.....uh......er.....never mind............I don't wish Rob to chasten me again.

I need a corner to sulk.

No, you just need a crystal ball. lol

Holy boat anchors Bat Man. one simple question . What can I save . I know the heads are junk, I know the rods come with the stroker kit. This is a street build but knowing me I like the smell of rubber. the 915's have been rebuilt and are shelved oiled and wrapped. The guy I've been talking with to do the work has over thirty years in engine building.
he's the kinda builder that doesn't want to hear a bunch of smack about what you want to do. He wants to see the engine tare it down look at condition mag it then ok what do want to do. So that being said , Cranks gone , cams gone , heads gone , Push rods ? Rods can be saved if they check out. I just don't want to junk something that can be used by me or someone else . Thermaquad anybody ?

you can send me the heads. lol they ain't junk!

915 heads have put plenty of old school builds in the low 10's high 9's . Ya there are a lot of better heads but if you got them use them. The problem is you say they are rebuilt oiled up on the shelf, if your building a stroker your going to want at least 2.14/1.81 hi flo valves in there with a good 4/5 angle valve job & a good bowl blending and deep port match thinning down the pushrod pinch .

your 915's aint junk... not right for your build but to someone out there they are a treasure. there is probably someone with a 440 numbers car tryin to restore it and one of their heads is cracked, and they are lookin for you!

you really should call IQ52 and discuss i bet he can hook you up with parts sources ideas etc

good luck man

Heck, if somebody's looking for 915's, there's a set been sitting on Chicago C/L in NW IN for months.

Stock pushrods, rockers, etc are marginal for any performance build, but a stock guy might use 'em. You can probably keep the distributor, especially if all you're doing is using it to pass the spark with an MSD, crank trigger or something. Main caps are still good, lol. For some reason, lots of locals seem to have blocks with maincaps, here in Chicago. S/F...Ken M

I think he meant he was throwing the stock 400 heads out.... not his 915's....at least I hope so...

Holy boat anchors Bat Man. one simple question . What can I save . I know the heads are junk, I know the rods come with the stroker kit. This is a street build but knowing me I like the smell of rubber. the 915's have been rebuilt and are shelved oiled and wrapped. The guy I've been talking with to do the work has over thirty years in engine building.
he's the kinda builder that doesn't want to hear a bunch of smack about what you want to do. He wants to see the engine tare it down look at condition mag it then ok what do want to do. So that being said , Cranks gone , cams gone , heads gone , Push rods ? Rods can be saved if they check out. I just don't want to junk something that can be used by me or someone else . Thermaquad anybody ?

This explanation would have been helpful from the beginning.

Save everything until the build is complete. Then throw away everything you are tired of storing. It's how we do it around here.

Please, please do yourself a favor and have the block sonic tested. Many 400 blocks have significant core shift and are unsuitable for stroking. 915 heads are great. The only parts worth saving are the block, main caps, timing cover and distributor hold down. A 451 is a great combo that combines r.p.m.s and torque. Good luck, Tom:finga:

This explanation would have been helpful from the beginning.

Save everything until the build is complete. Then throw away everything you are tired of storing. It's how we do it around here.

x2 Especailly in regard to bolts and hardware...

I think he meant he was throwing the stock 400 heads out.... not his 915's....at least I hope so...

You get an "A" for reading comprehension . Guys this isn't my first build ,just first 400 build EVERYTHING is going to get a good shake down.

-
Back