• Keep 440 and build that

Votes: 90 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Which do you choose and why? Going into an A body. I have a 440 now that needs rebuilt. I have new pistons and rings for it gaskets, bearings intake and carbs. But everytime I see a 451 i feel like I just got to have one so what would you choose?

dump the 440 and go for the 451, Stronger block and it fits better in an A body.

If you don't do the 451, your always going to wish you had. You might build the 440 and still do it cuz you want it. I did the same thing. rebuild the 318 and I just pulled it last week for my new 422. GO FOR IT!!

i put a 451 in mine and love it!..there is more room between the fenderwells than the taller 440, and the block is stronger. ....And it is just the coolness factor!ha

dump the 440 and go for the 451, Stronger block and it fits better in an A body.

+1 and it will be a lighter package. You should get a good dollar for the 440 although you might want to find a 400 block first! I have both a 400 and 440 block and will be letting the latter go once the 400 block is machined.

The question doesn't include a lot of pertinent details, like what the intended purpose is for the car, but I would lean toward rebuilding the 440 and going down the road. I've built both "B" and "RB" a-bodies and there really isn't enough difference to worry about, in my opinion. Or, go for broke and do what Joe said......

This is a street car build with maybe a run or two at the track. I like the idea of a bit more room and weight savings Plus the Stroker package. The reason I dont stroke the 440 is if I dont have the stuff to do a 440 stoker. But a 400 stroker I can use my LY rods and steel Crank for the 400 and sell my 440 pistons and buy 400 stroker pistons and not have to spend to much to get to the 451. I hear so much about the 451 stoker I dont believe I would gain much power over the 440 though?

X2! And you can use the 440 crank in the 400. Either have the mains in the block changed to 440 size or cut the crank. I think boring the mains out will make for a stronger bottom end.

This is a street car build with maybe a run or two at the track. I like the idea of a bit more room and weight savings Plus the Stroker package. The reason I dont stroke the 440 is if I dont have the stuff to do a 440 stoker. But a 400 stroker I can use my LY rods and steel Crank for the 400 and sell my 440 pistons and buy 400 stroker pistons and not have to spend to much to get to the 451. I hear so much about the 451 stoker I dont believe I would gain much power over the 440 though?

About the same power but smaller and lighter block.

Think of the 451 as a 440.

It's the same engine, minus a few pounds and a little less than an inch off the deck height. The 451 takes a little more machining so it will cost a little more. Otherwise, same same.

It's the same engine, minus a few pounds and a little less than an inch off the deck height. The 451 takes a little more machining so it will cost a little more. Otherwise, same same.

Im kind of thinking that myself so why have 451's become the craze and so popular? If they are indeed the same why would they not just build a 440 and save on machine work?

Word on the street is the 400 block can take more HP then the 440 because of the larger webbing near the mains..... So it's the better option for more aggressive builds, short of an aftermarket block.

Word on the street is the 400 block can take more HP then the 440 because of the larger webbing near the mains..... So it's the better option for more aggressive builds, short of an aftermarket block.

Ok if thats the only logic then that wouldnt suit me to be honest. I dont plan to put out enough HP to come close to ruining a block. I’m looking for performance facts of the two side by side. If it was a racecar and I was worried about durability it would be an advantage. To turn around and go stroker because the block is stronger wouldn’t be cost effective for me based on how I want the engine to perform. Now if there were a significant power to be had then yes that would be true. But to go stroker just to say I have a stroker isn’t good logic for me. So I guess what im looking for is hard facts about the performance advantage over the 440.

It sounds like you got more parts for the 440. I say stick with it. My opinion is biased too cause I got some 451 pistons for sale so what's that tell you? lol

It sounds like you got more parts for the 440. I say stick with it. My opinion is biased too cause I got some 451 pistons for sale so what's that tell you? lol

Yeah but being biased doesnt really stray from the facts lol. I know this all depends on how each motor is built but assume there both built the same way outside of bore and stroke is there a signifigant advantage?

Yeah but being biased doesnt really stray from the facts lol. I know this all depends on how each motor is built but assume there both built the same way outside of bore and stroke is there a signifigant advantage?

Yes.The 400 blocks are gnerally much stronger than the 440 blocks. Much beefier main webs and reinforcement ribs along the side of the block. 440 mains tend to crack after being pounded on at high h.p levels. 400 might too,but can withstand more pounding before giving up. Good 400 blocks can be used up to the 800 h.p level. In fact there was just such a motor bored out and stroked to 500 cid.With B1 heads it made well over 800 h.p and almost 700 ftlbs tq.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=124693

Try that with your rod spewing 454 block,lol!!

Yes.The 400 blocks are gnerally much stronger than the 440 blocks. Much beefier main webs and reinforcement ribs along the side of the block. 440 mains tend to crack after being pounded on at high h.p levels. 400 might too,but can withstand more pounding before giving up. Good 400 blocks can be used up to the 800 h.p level. In fact there was just such a motor bored out and stroked to 500 cid.With B1 heads it made well over 800 h.p and almost 700 ftlbs tq.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=124693

Try that with your rod spewing 454 block,lol!!

I guess I dont see the block being stronger as an advantage givin its intended use. Now I if I was cranking out 800hp yeah thats an advantage. As i said Im looking for performace facts. I dont believe that a motor making 500hp is going to care what block its in.

The one thing I was looking for is the performance and I haven’t seen anything related to performance. If all the advantage is the strength of the block then 440 it is. I was looking for factual numbers from members who have used or had both. Or have experience with both.

I guess I dont see the block being stronger as an advantage givin its intended use. Now I if I was cranking out 800hp yeah thats an advantage. As i said Im looking for performace facts. I dont believe that a motor making 500hp is going to care what block its in.

Well O.K then.The 400 block is also lighter than the 440.

The 451 rotating assembly will be significantly lighter than the 440's. Everything is lighter. If you really wanna step it up offset grind the 440 rod journals to 3.92 stroke and use a bb chevy rod with a .990 piston pin. There is a huge savings on piston weight building a 451 this way. This relates to a quick revving big block mopar that will e.t well and give great 60' times.

It becomes childs play to make 650 h.p at this juncture.

Well O.K then.The 400 block is also lighter than the 440.

The 451 rotating assembly will be significantly lighter than the 440's. Everything is lighter. If you really wanna step it up offset grind the 440 rod journals to 3.92 stroke and use a bb chevy rod with a .990 piston pin. There is a huge savings on piston weight building a 451 this way. This relates to a quick revving big block mopar that will e.t well and give great 60' times.

It becomes childs play to make 650 h.p at this juncture.

Now thats what Im after. Is to out the performace advantages. I plan on using alum stealth heads so no matter what I build It will breath good.

heres what confuses me- You say your going to buy stealth heads which are alot cheaper than INDY (1/2 the price lets say)but sacrificing a little HP potential at the same time.

Id stick with the 440-and do a stroker build-

The performance difference mainly is the strength. The rotating assemblies can be made very close to equal as they share rods and crank, and the race 440 pistons are almost as light as the street 451 pistons. The 400's bore helps with shrouding, but take the 440 to +.060 and they are the same bore size. The 400 is about 40lbs lighter IIRC. The main webbing is a bit stronger. Even 450hp 440s will eventually suffer from either cap walk, or the main webbing failure. It's just a matter of how long until the inevitable happens. But as the hp levels drop to the 450 range, you really need to beat on them to have them come apart. I had one that had over 550 passes and 6 years of street duty. But it exploded at 3K rpm and ruined everything but one head. In terms of A bodies and head choices, the 451 could be much more cash if you have raised exh ports like the Victors or Indy heads. Because the headers are expensive. In terms of realistic performance ina street car, they are the same thing. least that's how I look at it. If this was a bracket car, I'd say use the 451 build. Street car, not much difference, use what ever is cheaper.

I chose sell the 440 stuff and build the 451 for the simple reason the 400 package is smaller, and a bit lighter. Wasier to put in an A-Body IMHO.

j

-
Back