400 with 440 crank

-
A shorter rod sees greater angularity earlier, as measured in crankshaft degrees than a long rod, so it is pushing into the cranks rotation rather than down on it.
At lower RPM this gives peak pressure more leverage to spin things
If u build an engine w/ a lot of h.p., don`t seem to be worth worrying about, ---to me" . Not arguing here !

A shorter rod sees greater angularity earlier, as measured in crankshaft degrees than a long rod, so it is pushing into the cranks rotation rather than down on it.
At lower RPM this gives peak pressure more leverage to spin things
In other words, it Revs faster.

Chuck Senatore, the guy who founded Muscle Motors wrote a book about Big Block Mopars. The guy literally built hundreds of them and I don't remember the exact words because I haven't read it for a long time but the 451 combo was his favorite BB. I'm pretty sure he's also an ME.

The B engine also fits better in an A body. :)

What does it take to put a 440 crank into a 400. And any down sides to doing so.
Thanks cliff
Even if you have the 440 crank on hand it might cost you more to build the engine than if you buy a new stroker crank. Check your local area to see if there is anyone who has the ability to turn the mains and counterweights for you. Other problem with a factory 440 crank is that you have the big Mopar rod journals. That means you are stuck with heavy Mopar type rods and big bearings and maybe the big heavy piston pin.

There are lots of ways to build a stroker big block these days. Using a factory 440 crank is not necessarily the best way anymore although it works just fine if you have the right shop nearby who can do the heavy work for you.

Sorry gents, apparently I had too many soda's last night :BangHead:

I must have been thinking about the 383 situation.

Even if you have the 440 crank on hand it might cost you more to build the engine than if you buy a new stroker crank. Check your local area to see if there is anyone who has the ability to turn the mains and counterweights for you. Other problem with a factory 440 crank is that you have the big Mopar rod journals. That means you are stuck with heavy Mopar type rods and big bearings and maybe the big heavy piston pin.

There are lots of ways to build a stroker big block these days. Using a factory 440 crank is not necessarily the best way anymore although it works just fine if you have the right shop nearby who can do the heavy work for you.
anyone ever turn a 440`s rod throws down to big block chevy size, to run the chevy rods ? I still like the bigger cubes myself--------------

anyone ever turn a 440`s rod throws down to big block chevy size, to run the chevy rods ? I still like the bigger cubes myself--------------
Think I would call that a 470.

Why even consider these things? The 451's are dogs. Was never able to get over 787HP out of mine with ported Edelbrock RPM heads, factory forged 3.75 crank and a single dominator on pump gas.

Last edited:

++++
This was my thinking when I built mine. And the only thing that is used is the block it self. A total bolt in, no grinding or clearancing, other than flashing clean up. Lite recip. weight, pistons not too short or too long and heavy, a lot of grunt for street n strip. I`ll always go bigger. Not arguing, jmo. --I don`t even think we`ve got a good crank man around here anymore either.

x2, or 3, or whatever...lol.

-
Back