408 Build Thread

-
I just got off of the phone with Comp's help line, and I use that term lightly. He recommended the 987 springs and said that there was no reason to run the beehive style springs on the Edelbrock heads. There are no interference issues that he was aware of and no advantages over the 987 springs???

Yeah you should be just fine with those @ 1.43 OD. I just had a set of comp springs 978-16 installed on my eddy heads. They are tight fit to the rockers @ 1.46 OD. At first glance they look like they will be fine, but Im going to go over them again real good to make sure they clear. I also didn't find Comps helpline to helpful either. I usaully got the same guy, and every time I talked to him they would recommend a different cam or different springs.

Not much happened this week. I got my new Pro Comp valve covers from Jeg's!!

FxCam_1362179247847_zps3d230d1d.jpg

Hopefully, if there is any money left over after paying bills, I will get my Kevko oil pan and pick up ordered.

I spoke with Doc, my builder, yesterday and we discussed carburetors. I had a chance to buy an Edelbrock Thunder Series 800 at a pretty good discount and wanted to get his opinion of them. He said that he has run three of them, and is currently running one on the 360 he built for his truck. He said that he is familiar with tuning them and that he has jets and rods in stock for this carb so tuning it on the dyno should be no problem.

edl-1812_w_zps33e678db.jpg

I bought the carb through Pep Boys and got a 20% discount. After doing a little poking around on the web I found that Edelbrock is having a [ame="http://www.jegs.com/rebates/edelbrock/bigcarbdeal2013.pdf"]Big Carb Deal[/ame], which means I get a FREE Edelbrock air cleaner after I send them proof of purchase. The carb should be here by the end of the week.

I spoke with Doc, my builder, yesterday and we discussed carburetors. I had a chance to buy an Edelbrock Thunder Series 800 at a pretty good discount and wanted to get his opinion of them. He said that he has run three of them, and is currently running one on the 360 he built for his truck. He said that he is familiar with tuning them and that he has jets and rods in stock for this carb so tuning it on the dyno should be no problem.

edl-1812_w_zps33e678db.jpg

I bought the carb through Pep Boys and got a 20% discount. After doing a little poking around on the web I found that Edelbrock is having a Big Carb Deal, which means I get a FREE Edelbrock air cleaner after I send them proof of purchase. The carb should be here by the end of the week.
What air cleaner are you gonna get?
My dad runs them on his charger and just switched to an 850 cfm one from an old carter and he loves it much better throttle response then the old worn carter

What air cleaner are you gonna get?

I hadn't even really been considering that yet because we are still a long way off. They only give you two options, chrome or powder coated black. I already have a chrome one on there now...

IMG_6708.jpg

I ran a 650 Eddie AVS when I had my 340 in my car. Had to change rods, jets, accelerator pump nozzles etc but once that carb was tuned it ran great. Love that carb.

Tomorrow is payday!! I've been holding off on buying the Kevko oil pan and pick up, but I think that will happen this weekend.

Thanks,for the updates. Curious,on the AVS.Never tried one yet.

It's between Doug's and TTI's. I've always wanted the TTI's but I'm just not sure that they are worth the extra $$$.

You started my 10 year old down the road of Dartdom. He now has a metal Dodge Dart plaque hanging on his bedroom wall. I tried to trade him another Mopar one and he said no dice. He has metal die cast cars of a Super Bee and a Charger but wants the Dart. I am going to get a model and build it with him. And then I'm getting a Dart GT fender medalion. I figure if I do that, the rest of the car will eventually follow. Keep up the news on your Dart. It was a really cool car before the stroker but now...

Brian, I like the build & am following along with you. Thanks much it helps those of us who are in the parts planning stages of our builds. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Your build looks pretty amazing so far. I just joined a few days ago and stumbled on your build thread. I'm subscribed and can't wait to see your final results man! Best of luck and speed!

I've been meaning to ask, what made you change your mind from the Lunati cam to the Comp 292?

My builder has used this cam before and achieved the results I am looking for so I changed it. Pure and simple, I trust his judgement and what he is comfortable working with. I am sure the Lunati is a fine cam.

I just ordered the Milodon 16250 high volume water pump from Jeg's and Ebay. If you order $100, they'll knock $25 off the price, so I threw a dip stick on there and got everything for $78.

697-16250.jpg

The offer is good through the end of the week, so I think I may try and put a couple of more $100 purchases together. Anytime I can buy parts at 25% off, I'm gonna try and take advantage of it.

I called Doc the other day and he informed me that all of the block work is completed and they are beginning the mock up portion for the short block! The next day my wife met me at the door and told me that she had lost her job that day.

So, I got back on the phone with Doc and told him my situation. He said no problem, they will bag the block up and put it over in storage with my heads and rotating assembly. I am going to go see him next Tuesday and pay him what I owe him for the block work. I told him that once my wife is back to work, I fully intend on them completing the build as planned.

Damn, sorry to hear that, Bro. As much as they like to tell us everything is getting better it sure seems like we're still in the thick of it.

Just out of curiosity what do you think will be into this build for? I'm getting ready to break ground on mine next month. Ill be following you man good luck!

Sorry to hear about the wife's employment. I hope she finds something soon. Not just for the sake of the build. Keep us posted on her search as well as anything new on the build. Good luck to both of you!

Thanks guys. I got out and drove the Dart today. It helped to clear my head. I took it to a cruise in style show tonight!

20130525_202318_zpsa58d6eef.jpg

We are very blessed and have some savings to rely on, so we should be okay for a few months. If it comes down to the house or the toys, unfortunately the toys are gonna lose.

Sorry to hear about your wife, Brian. I had just dropped off my 408 project at the machine shop, and ordered a set of heads from IMM, when I lost my job. That was in Jan. I'm just now getting to pay off everything now.

I went and paid Doc the money that I owed him for the block work. They are gonna put everything on hold until my wife finds another job. This is my busy season for work, but the jobs just aren't there. I'm doing some side jobs and selling some parts that I have left over trying to raise some money.

The next step will be to balance the rotating assembly. It could run anywhere from $200 if it's close, to $500 if needs a lot of Mallory metal. I have to make sure that ALL of my other bills are being paid before I can start spending money again on the engine. Bummer.

-
Back