408 Scat Stroker Kits

-
I have a 4” scat cast in my Dart’s 408. Runs very well. I’ve not ETed this car, but feels like low 12s

My dad bought a balanced scat kit with a forged crank from Summit in Summer of 2017 for around $1600. At that time Summit had a deal with their summit bucks and that was before sales tax was added to order so prob be hard to get a deal like that again. I'd save up to get the forged crank. Maybe okay with a cast crank, but if that crank would break what would it cost you to fix. Also the kit my dad got was balance and the motor is not to bad, but it isn't as smooth as other engines we have that my engine guy balances.

The machinist I’m taking my engine to says every balanced kit he’s seen from SCAT needs rebalancing. He may be very fussy I don’t know.
$100 more to get unbalanced parts and let him do it.
($1700)

The machinist I’m taking my engine to says every balanced kit he’s seen from SCAT needs rebalancing. He may be very fussy I don’t know.
($1700)
I will agree with that mine needed balancing full forge scat kit and I paid to have it balanced prior shipping . When my machinist checked it was 35 grms out, got it within 2 grms.

1700 to balance the engine?.....machine shop here in Vegas is 200 dollars if it does not take any mallory metal....400 bucks if it takes mallory metal.....

$1700 for unbalanced kit, with local shop balancing.
I've spoken to Cleggs. Good experience with Tyson. Seems to have good hands on build experience. He agrees SCAT does not do a fine balance, but good enough unless revving over 6500 or so.
They have good prices. $1460 plus $60 shipping ($1520) for a balanced kit with -23 cc dish pistons I need.
Direct from SCAT was /$1600 free shipping, but this was with a -27 cc piston that Cleggs wanted an extra $40 for, so really not much difference.

An aside. Cleggs likes the Howard's Rattler cam over the small Thumpr. Claims more power. I could not find info to verify. (Thumpr haters close your eyes :) )
They quit dealing with Comp over quality issues, mainly lifters.

Very rarely are either one of hose the pest power produces but the do make a go to the drive in sound

($1700)

Let me guess ... Mike @ Valley Crank ?
I am assuming you are in the Valley here ...

I had several shops tell me they seldom find Scat kits very far out of balance.

Gibson's Performance. In the valley.

Do they have these stroker kits for a .040" over bore 340?

I've only seen them in .030" over bore.
All the ads seem to be for .030" but I'm sure you can specify a different piston.

Do they have these stroker kits for a .040" over bore 340?

I've only seen them in .030" over bore.
That's because they are referring to it being a 408. a .040 over would be a 410, which doesn't sound the same. If I do this, with a .060 over, well what is that? 414? who knows.

Here’s a chart

60326E06-AEBC-4458-A11C-D935B6257BE2.jpeg

Just curious, how far can a 360 block be bored before it is too far. Yes, I know sonic testing would tell me that, but for a street driven 360+?

Just curious, how far can a 360 block be bored before it is too far. Yes, I know sonic testing would tell me that, but for a street driven 360+?

I know some people have gone .060 over before. I try to keep it at .030-040.

Just curious, as my 360 is already .060 over. But, I agree with you on .040 being the most sensible.

-
Back