422 dyno fail

-
Kent,
Thank you I have already decided to take the entire engine to the shop that did my heads. The shop who built the motor I would never say anything bad about I just do not believe he thinks there is anything wrong and the numbers are the numbers. I disagree based on what I believe this combo should make. I just feel there is something wrong. If the curve looked good with nothing jumping out at me and the numbers where what they are then so be it but I feel the erratic HP vs RPM curve is telling me something. Just have to figure out what it’s telling me. I would rather get the problem fixed now and save a catastrophic failure than throw it in. I’m trying to get my 72 and 71 dusters ready for the nationals. Not certain the 71 will make it unfortunately.

Jim
Please keep us posted on what the findings are as we can all learn from this.

I’m still not convinced the dyno data is correct.

My last engine, which at that time made 467hp / 514tq at the crank. I put it on a chassis dyno that said 314hp / 550tq.

Dyno's are weird. I dyno my engines to break them in safely and tune them. I also like to make changes and see what differences occur. The numbers are just for ego and social media likes. I've put many cars on the trailer that made a lot more HP than mine.

I just received a call from the shop and he said when he pulled the headers off to remove it from the dyno he could see water was coming out of 5 of 8 exhaust ports where it appears the exhaust seat may have been cut too large. More to come.

I just received a call from the shop and he said when he pulled the headers off to remove it from the dyno he could see water was coming out of 5 of 8 exhaust ports where it appears the exhaust seat may have been cut too large. More to come.
Was that the dyno shop saying the heads have an issue and now the motor is going back to the shop who built the heads. This is beginning to sound like a soap opera. "As the world turns" "Days of our lives"

He just told me what he told me. I will not point fingers. The heads were done at a professional shop and if something is wrong they will find it. Just need to get the problem resolved whatever we find. The motor was going there anywhere. I trust they know what they are doing and they are honest. I’m not jumping to any conclusions and either should anyone else. I will update once I know more. Will he several weeks I’m sure.

Easy enough to verify with a pressure test.
Don’t even need to take anything apart.

Good luck @Jim Ward

I’m still not convinced the dyno data is correct.

And there is the main reason I throw only 2 cents into the pot. I don’t have enough education on dyno’s so I make a 2 cent guess and read on. Staying tuned to learn and see what happens.

He just told me what he told me. I will not point fingers. The heads were done at a professional shop and if something is wrong they will find it. Just need to get the problem resolved whatever we find. The motor was going there anywhere. I trust they know what they are doing and they are honest. I’m not jumping to any conclusions and either should anyone else. I will update once I know more. Will he several weeks I’m sure.
I absolutely agree not to point fingers. Glad to see you are dealing with upstanding people. I always look for the best in folks. Good people stand up for what is right and do what is right. They will get you straightened out. Best of luck.

If it were me I wouldn't let the shop that had it on the dyno do any work on it, at least not yet. I'd pickup the complete engine and take it to my head guy.

Good luck @Jim Ward

And there is the main reason I throw only 2 cents into the pot. I don’t have enough education on dyno’s so I make a 2 cent guess and read on. Staying tuned to learn and see what happens.

My presumption is based on the engine being mechanically sound, and assembled correctly.
If the motor is getting coolant into the combustion chambers...... all bets are off.

I also assume the same thing, a well built engine is present.

That's actually great news! We'll wait to hear how this turns out.

Interesting reading , hope to all works out.. here are some dyno numbers on my two small blocks for reference: my 408 ( R3 block , 4 inch stroke ,Indy 360-1 heads and intake ( pretty much out of the box ) 9.8 to 1 compression on pump gas , 600 lift mechanical cam, Holley 750 hp . 1 7/8 headers ) : made 539 hp and 502 torque / my 367 ( 360 Magnum block , 40 over , 10-1 compression on pump gas , ancient W2 heads, Victor W2 intake, 585/ 595 lift cam, Holley 750 HP, 1 7/8 headers ): made 527 hp and 467 torque. ... 367 in the picture on the dyno 3 months ago... my 408 has been troublesome.. it broke on the dyno a few years ago ( luckily only needed bearings ) .. I have been having problems with breaking the Indy rockers and last year it cracked the crank by the # one journal ( again I was lucky as nothing else got hurt )

561828CE-D5C2-4C76-A0C1-18762395631D.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I wouldn’t say “great news” but at least if what was told to me today is the culprit it was found. If what he suggested is true the heads will be boat anchors from what he told me. I have $2000 into this set of heads as I wanted to make a big HP iron headed motor.

Well I wouldn’t say “great news” but at least if what was told to me today is the culprit it was found. If what he suggested is true the heads will be boat anchors from what he told me. I have $2000 into this set of heads as I wanted to make a big HP iron headed motor.
Sorry - by great news, I meant if it was blowing water during the pulls, that would help explain the low power and high fuel rates. Bad financially but better you find the culprit now than after it's in your car. We'll wait to hear what you find and how it turns out. Good luck!!

I have $2000 into this set of heads as I wanted to make a big HP iron headed motor.

Been there. Take solice in knowing you aren't the only one here that has thrown money away making this mistake. (and leaked water into 5/8 cylinders)

I hope that money is not thrown away. I’m hoping if it is confirmed the heads are no good the builder will stand behind them. They have 30 minutes of run time on them since they were done.

Interesting reading , hope to all works out.. here are some dyno numbers on my two small blocks for reference: my 408 ( R3 block , 4 inch stroke ,Indy 360-1 heads and intake ( pretty much out of the box ) 9.8 to 1 compression on pump gas , 600 lift mechanical cam, Holley 750 hp . 1 7/8 headers ) : made 539 hp and 502 torque / my 367 ( 360 Magnum block , 40 over , 10-1 compression on pump gas , ancient W2 heads, Victor W2 intake, 585/ 595 lift cam, Holley 750 HP, 1 7/8 headers ): made 527 hp and 467 torque. ... 367 in the picture on the dyno 3 months ago... my 408 has been troublesome.. it broke on the dyno a few years ago ( luckily only needed bearings ) .. I have been having problems with breaking the Indy rockers and last year it cracked the crank by the # one journal ( again I was lucky as nothing else got hurt )

View attachment 1715936141

Your 367 is FAR more impressive and will be FAR more enjoyable to drive IMO. Could you post up the RPM peaks for both just to see the difference. The W2/367 I built in 2010 peaked at 6700-6800 rpm with a Weiand Stealth intake and a custom hydraulic roller. J.Rob

Funny they did not tell you that there is a coolant leak issue when you picked up the engine. In any case the engine "water" issue should have been properly diagnosed prior to removing it from the dyno room.

Been there. Take solice in knowing you aren't the only one here that has thrown money away making this mistake. (and leaked water into 5/8 cylinders)
**** happens. We all make’em. That’s also why we are here and talking about it. It’s good to see people talking about there adventures good and bad.

-
Back