422 small block

-
I understood that the early 71 360s were 340 castings with oversized mains and underbored.... I used 1 for a w2 stock strock engine in the early 80s and the shop said walls showed lots left after .060 over bore...
Is that just folklore ?

I have heard that story for many a years....................... have heard as many, call bull pucky on it when it was sonic checked...........:wtf:

I've done the 4.10x4" stroke. I won a good sonic tester. The block required two sleeves to meet my requirements for the power level wanted. It's got 20K miles, gets 18mpg in a 3800lbs E body with a 727 trans. Runs pump gas, runs iron factory type ported heads, a smallish hydraulic cam, and makes about 480hp based on the mph.

I've done the 4.10x4" stroke. I won a good sonic tester. The block required two sleeves to meet my requirements for the power level wanted. It's got 20K miles, gets 18mpg in a 3800lbs E body with a 727 trans. Runs pump gas, runs iron factory type ported heads, a smallish hydraulic cam, and makes about 480hp based on the mph.

So you can go a 4.100 bore, sleeve with out hitting the coolant passages? How thick is the sleeves you installed.

Sleeves are stronger then the cast iron cut away. Plus, unless the bore(s) is/are WAY off from core shift, you can go .100 over without hitting water in most blocks. They're just not strong enough to run that way. I'm not sure why there is a problem with the idea of cutting into the cooling jackets. If sleeving is done properly they don't leak. The shop used to save 427FE fords with 6-7 sleeves through to water all the time. There is a press fit on the top, a step at the bottom the sleeve seats on, and sleev sealer used. They do not leak.
This build was done 10 years ago and frankly I can't recall much detail beyond what's been posted. It was a bear for me as the first block was fully machined, then I found a crack in the cam bearing bore that was missed in the earlier magnafluxing. So to keep my customer happy I supplied a second block and had it fully machined. After sonic testing that second one would have been thinner than I like in two bores at 4.10, so I had sleeves installed in two holes in order to get the strength I wanted. You could sleeve all 8 and put thicker sleeves in if you wanted to. Although IMO the machining, parts, and extra labor on a factory block would cost slightly less than a better block would. Bore size just doesn't impact performance enough to make it worth while.

Thanks you moper, that answered all my questions.......except one.

How thin or thick are the sleeves when you install a 4.10 bore sleeve.
Never thought about the steel sleeve being stronger than the cast iron bore :BangHead::D

-
Back