426 Hemi on ebay

-

Fisho

Reaction score
Was casually window shopping this morning when I came across this.

1970 426 HEMI ENGINE Original GTX Motor (Near Complete) | eBay

Now I'm aware Hemi anything carries a premium price, especially original 426 motors. I'm also aware that a person can ask whatever price they want, but damn. I always figured you could find an original rebuilt one for 20-25k or so. Still well outside of my means, but a guy can dream right?

You think for that price the least he could do is rebuild it 100% stock. I guess as there cars skyrocket so do their engines.

$50,000 plus for a good complete 426 Hemi core engine?
I think that guy is out of his mind, and i rarely make a comment like this.
I think it's more of a ''Look at what i've got'' compared to a realistic intended sale.
But if someone wants it and is willing to pay ''Stupid money'' for it, he'll sell it.............

If you read the description it originally had a buy it now price of $150k, has since been lowered to $100k. Still a ridiculous amount of money. What would a matching numbers 70 hemi gtx be worth? 150-170k or so fully restored?

i can pick up a newer hemi for around1200 and make some serious power and still afford my house damn!

i know it wasn't nice but i just sent the "$100k original HEMI" guy an email asking if the engine came with a bag of cocain or crak or a bar of gold bullion. i couldn't resist. i'm sure i will get an "unfriendly" response...

i know it wasn't nice but i just sent the "$100k original HEMI" guy an email asking if the engine came with a bag of cocain or crak or a bar of gold bullion. i couldn't resist. i'm sure i will get an "unfriendly" response...
:rofl:

Well keep in mind he's already spent $24k on storage since 1976......

For $100k I could build a new shop, finish my Duster and current house renos, take a nice vacation and stuff about $40k in the bank.

hey FABO fans... here's an update on my "message" to the "gold plated" hemi guy in california...

this was my original message:

i'm a mopar collector in pittsburgh, pa and after i stopped laughing at your ad, i had to send you an email. does this engine come with a bag of cocane or crak or maybe a block of gold bullion? wow... i've known for years that you people out there on the "Left Coast" were nuts, but a $100k for an "original" HEMI? i'm sorry, i have to quit writing, i'm starting to laugh again.....

and HERE'S the message i just received from the guy - i edited "one of the words" he used for FABO rules:

New message from: horsepistol2 (474
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

Hey I hope you swallow all your saliva and drown. I hope you buy it so I can finally get even up with lawyer fees!!! Go f... yourself!

oh... he did send me the below second message... i guess he is mad....

New message from: horsepistol2 (474
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)

You respond to me again I will contact ebay over harassment

its worth top dollar to the guy who owns the GTX it belongs in if its still around.. not 100k top dollar though..lol

Do Hemi have vins on the block ?
Cause it belonged to a million dollar Cuda rag maybe he'll get his money.

i think a lot of "mopar flip" guys think the 71 hemi cuda convertible that sold at mecum last year for $3.5 million dollars is some kind of "indicator" of the market for "hemi mopars." THAT is still a record for ANY mopar but that was also an incredibly unique car. it was COMPLETELY original and had like 3500 miles on it. it is probably the most original 71 hemi cuda convertible in the world.

i watch the car auctions all the time and currently you can buy a number of original drive train, numbers matching restored hemi B body cars for $100-$150k. some hemi superbirds and daytona chargers are still fetching over $200k but you could count those cars on one hand AND those cars have just come out of private collections and have some kind of unique histories and are low millage. in about 99% of cases, a person just isn't going to become a millionaire "flipping" "hemi mopars."

so for you BO 68 Barracuda clone builders out there, what WOULD be a reasonable price for an "original" 68 HEMI? well, i've seen rebuilt "crate" 426 HEMI motors on various internet sites advertised for around $35k. you can buy a newly rebuilt "punched out" HEMI for $20-$25k. i'm not an engine builder, but if you found a decent 426 block, i think you could buy the parts to build the engine for probably $15k. AND i suspect that the $100k "gold-plated" california ebay HEMI would need to be rebuilt or at least "freshened up" - probably to the tune of at least $5k in shop labor.

and what about all the COMPLETE hemi cars that are out there right now for sale? i could show the "hemi guy" three ads running right now for turn key, jump in and drive 68-69 "hemi" barracudas advertised for between $70k-$100k!

so what do "I" think the noted "Left Coast" "original HEMI" is worth? "if" you had an "original" or "survivor" "hemi" car that would be worth $100k plus if it had a "date correct" HEMI in it - then it "might" make money sense to pay $50k for the california HEMI. but why not go into the market place and find a "newly built" less expensive HEMI and put it in that car and then have more room to negotiate a reasonable sales price? if a person paid $100k for the ebay HEMI, there is NO "business plan" that one could put together for ANY car that motor would go in that would make the finished car profitable. the only other way you could make out on the $100k HEMI is if you "found" an old "hemi mopar car" in a barn or on a farm or in some old lady's garage and "stole" it from the owner for a couple of grand. GOOD LUCK finding that deal these days.

-
Back