428cid sb mopar mock up

-
Finally finished with some testing...Ron the owner of this build let me try our new cnc ported Indy/IMM iron heads with the Indy intake so we'd have some data.
This is a 10.2:1 engine with both heads having 64cc chambers.
The cam is a hyd. roller meant for streetability, so it's not even close to a bracket type cam but it's how Ron wanted the engine.
He wanted enough power to run mid 11's or better in an A body with a 4 speed.

I'll post pics and video tomorrow as they are at work and haven't loaded them up yet. Plus I still have to dyno the engine with the rpm airgap intake and a couple different carbs including his 800.

So with our iron heads, peak power was 554HP @ 6000rpm and 541TQ @ 4700rpm. The power curve is very nice, should be a lot of fun on the street! This was with the Indy single plane intake and our 1000HP carb. We ran 91 octane, best timing was at 33° total and jetting was 78-88 with a P/V.

Then we swapped over the ported eddy Magnum heads that I did, basic bracket type port job, same 10.2:1 compression, same 1.6 rockers, different pushrods.
We used the same Indy intake, and 1000HP carb.
Peak power was 568HP @ 6000rpm and 545TQ @ 4700rpm once again. The graph's are so close up to 5200rpm you'd think they were the same heads! But after that the eddy heads pulled a bit and remained better through the 6500rpm pulls.

We also used TTI 1 7/8 headers for both heads. I was pleased with our iron heads to say the least.

Pics and video tomorrow along with final #'s with the dual plane and 2 different carbs.
Brian

Sounds like with an aggressive solid roller & your new version of the RHS heads that combo would be tapping on the 600Hp door! e85 & 14:1 I bet it would pass 600hp

Do you have flow numbers for the CNC RHS head package?

Curious as to how a set of INDY's done up full out would do on the same combo.

Nice work!

cool, thanks for sharing! Nice numbers for the cnc´d RHS Heads. I´m pretty interested what the engine can do with the other intake and carb....

Michael

Sounds like with an aggressive solid roller & your new version of the RHS heads that combo would be tapping on the 600Hp door! e85 & 14:1 I bet it would pass 600hp

Do you have flow numbers for the CNC RHS head package?

Curious as to how a set of INDY's done up full out would do on the same combo.

Nice work!

These heads are going on my 392 sb mopar in a couple of months...it's 3.79 stroke, solid roller cam (267-273@ .050 with .690 lift) and 13:1 so I'm hoping these heads will support 600+ HP which I think they will.
The flow numbers are on our website.
Indy 245 heads would easily make another 75HP give or take....

cool, thanks for sharing! Nice numbers for the cnc´d RHS Heads. I´m pretty interested what the engine can do with the other intake and carb....

Michael

Indy's intake is a very good manifold, so I don't expect much difference at low rpm between the 2 except at very low rpm like 2500 and below. After 3000rpm, the Indy should be ahead and never look back.
Unfortunately I won't have those #'s till tomorrow as I'm home playing doctor for my wife and kids...everyone's sick!

Indy's intake is a very good manifold, so I don't expect much difference at low rpm between the 2 except at very low rpm like 2500 and below. After 3000rpm, the Indy should be ahead and never look back. Unfortunately I won't have those #'s till tomorrow as I'm home playing doctor for my wife and kids...everyone's sick!

You know, I still say you couldda saved a lotta trouble. LOL Nice work though.

Attachments

• 428CobraJet.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 722
awesome build, how much difference do you think the 1 7/8 header made over the step headers:D

I like this build. I noticed that you had torque plates installed for the boring and honing process. I think this is good when you are trying to get cylinders inline as much as posible for as much less power robbing friction you can get.I wonder if it would make a defferance if the block was heated close to normal operating temperture also to allow for the contracting and expanding process. I know a few members will have a ball criticizing this question. Let them have at it.

I like this build. I noticed that you had torque plates installed for the boring and honing process. I think this is good when you are trying to get cylinders inline as much as posible for as much less power robbing friction you can get.I wonder if it would make a defferance if the block was heated close to normal operating temperture also to allow for the contracting and expanding process. I know a few members will have a ball criticizing this question. Let them have at it.

Block heating can help, albeit very very little...the TQ plate process works well. Nobody can simulate WOT conditions so block heating has a very small affect.
Here's the skinny boring and honing correctly:
Architecture is KING...meaning the hole needs to be round top to bottom...the rounder the better. So strive for perfection here.

awesome build, how much difference do you think the 1 7/8 header made over the step headers:D

I'm hoping to find out, as our Dyno water pump got a little sticky during testing yesterday, so we had to do some repair work. But it's all finished, so Ron will be down on Wed. to pick it up.
Monday I'll run it some more with the airgap intake, do some tuning, then try his carb. If we have time I'll try the headers.
But my best guess is maybe 10HP?
Thing is you never know without testing. They might be worth 20HP...this is a large engine and HP is decent so I'd expect a noticeable increase with the larger headers.

sounds good thanks ou12 my current 416 made 583 hp with steps and I just bought a set of 1 7/8 at a swap meet so I was curious, to see if it would be worth the swap, thanks again :D

sounds good thanks ou12 my current 416 made 583 hp with steps and I just bought a set of 1 7/8 at a swap meet so I was curious, to see if it would be worth the swap, thanks again :D

You'll lose power below 3000rpm, and pick it up everywhere else, especially between Peak TQ and Peak HP and a lot after peak HP. If that works with your cars tire and gear, then you should pick up a little bit.

that should work great has a 3800 convertor and 4.30 gear so should be right on the spot

Overview:

428 cid., 10:1 242-248@ .050 .587 lift hyd. roller cam, 1 7/8 TTI headers and mufflers:

Indy/IMM iron cnc ported heads, 2.02 x 1.60 valves, Indy intake, 1" open spacer, 1000HP carb: 554HP@ 6000rpm and 541TQ@ 4800rpm.

Edelbrock ported Magnum heads, bracket port, 2.055 x 1.60 valves, Indy intake, 1" open spacer, 1000HP carb: 568HP@ 6000rpm and 546TQ@ 4500 rpm.

Edelbrock mag heads, RPM AG intake w/1" open spacer, 1000HP carb: 550HP@ 5900rpm and 559TQ@ 4600rpm.

Edelbrock mag heads, RPM AG intake w/1" open spacer, 800 eddy carb: 534HP@ 5800rpm and 544TQ@ 4400rpm.

Edelbrock mag heads, RPM AG intake w/1" open spacer, 800 eddy carb, 1 5/8 TTI step header: 520HP@ 5800rpm and 532TQ@ 4200rpm.

This is just an overview of how these combo's worked, not the whole story because the avg power isn't posted but I can tell you all combo's exhibited excellent avg. power!!
The Indy intake is a clear winner, as it makes the best avg. power from 3000 - 6500rpm! That and the larger headers were both excellent with either head on it.

For only having a 2.02 valve, the iron head was awesome IMO...especially for the money. I'll have them on a different build at the end of the year, more of a race engine so we'll see if they can support more than 600HP.

Even though the eddy 800 carb lost some power, it performed awesome on the engine with just a single metering rod change...infact the engine idled better and had MUCH better throttle response than the 1000HP. Very noticeable.
The small headers ofcourse knocked more power out of this combo which was expected.

Not too shabby for a true street driver!
Brian

some pics:

Attachments

• 2014-09-25 08.15.21.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 509
  • 2014-09-25 08.14.53.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 493
  • 2014-09-25 08.14.46.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 2014-09-23 16.33.06.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 2014-09-23 16.32.43.jpg