<<<<<430 cube small block mopar build>>>>>

-
Long overdue update!

I've been plugging away at the motor, bottom end is assembled and we're getting on the top end soon... cant wait!

Both stock and ported eddy's were CC'd ( intake, exhaust, & chambers ) before we flowed them
DSC_0535.jpg

Also got the crank balanced - we needed almost 170 grams off both sides and instead of drilling the hell out of the crank we milled off the weight. There are a bunch of ways to get this done but this is a better result then the drill at that amount.

DSC_0564.jpg

You can see this SBF was drilled to death - not the most professional way to get it done.

DSC_0618.jpg

With assembly right around the corner I whittled away at the oil pump and passages - the filter area and rear cap took the most work - here is a progress shot.

DSC_0637.jpg

With everything clean we file fit the rings... getting there!

DSC_0728.jpg

HOME SWEET HOME!!!

DSC_0773.jpg

All washed and ready for assembly!

DSC_0804.jpg

Got the pins & rings on - the pistons have wire locks - man i go them down by piston number 8 - lol

DSC_0839.jpg

A little lube on the threads and bottom of the heads to achieve accurate torque
DSC_0854.jpg

Sinking the pistons in and the chamfer goes to the crank side. you can also see the radius on the crank and the narrow bearing that misses the crank.

DSC_0874.jpg

ARP's ring compressor made dropping the pistons in a breeze - it's tall enough to get the rings set in it at the bench and then drop it right in at the block with your thumbs.

DSC_0877.jpg

A couple feeler gauges set in between the rods keep everything square and true while torquing.

DSC_0882.jpg

The 4.125" stroke and 2.00 inch rod journal make plenty of room where a stock mopar diameter rod would be into the pickup tube. I'd be curious of the 4.250 stroke in this area

DSC_0913.jpg

Before checking the pan to pickup clearance - please look over and clean your pan - any weld spatter or dirt will get right into the engine.. ours had weld spatter, and took a bit to get it cleaned and free of these little buggers -

DSC_0922.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg

Any updates on this build?
I'm about to order the same setup from Rod.
Rod talked me into using the compstar rods as I was going to buy scat rods locally.

Phenominal pictures! Thank you for the documentation.

DSC_1636.jpg

Should be on the dyno this week with a mild configuration

any guesses?
430 cubes
stock eddy heads
air gap intake
Comp XR286R

LS 110

Intake
Duration @ .050" Lift: 248
Valve Lift: .576

Exhaust
Duration @ .050" Lift: 254
Valve Lift: .582

I have a couple carbs to try out - 750 ultra hp, 830, 950 hp and 1000 hp... still undecided.

If there is nothing done to the heads an are "stock" as you say, Im guessing 485-500HP 520-530TQ.

Big gains with ported heads big carb. I built a 416 a few years ago with that cam/head and SV intake 950 carb, it made 575hp 550tq.

yes these heads are stock - I did dis-assemble them and open the guides up, and correct a few intake valves that were a bit OOR. but other then a stock blueprint they are stock castings.

I have several combinations I am testing and this is the most mild.

This week's half over...when's it hitting the dyno? Just curious...with such a big stroker, why the mild build? Or are you just trying different configurations for S & G's? Has the potential of being a serious stump puller.

What cylinder pressure do you expect with this combo? I am running the XR286R as well and it runs very strong.

Also, thank you for the fantastic thread!

got bumped on the dyno on schedule for thursday....

Stock heads? When do the Shay Dell ones go on? With stock RPMs I'm going to say 480/520

i have several heads / intakes to try - going from small to big - should be this week... i'll know more when it is bolted to the pump...lol

-
Back