440 build will it work

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
this is what i have so far and want to get some input on if it sonds like a good set up eagle crank 4.15 stroke eagle rods 6.76''. pistons are dish 4.360 bore 9.6.1 so should be 496 ci haeds are 906 with 2.08 int 1.74 exa they have been ported and 3 angle valve job cam is mopar purple shaft with adv duration 284/284 duration .050 241/241 lift 484/484 centerline 114* . 1.6 roller rockers will this cam have a lope to it

Sounds pretty much like the 440 (.030 over) I built about 4 years ago for my 72 RR wanabee, except I put a 6 pack set up on the ole girl and just used stock 6 pk rods. It will pull the front tires some............ rated at 475 hp. That is a nice lopping cam for sure, I'll use another one someday, soon I hope.

Jim'sengine_[1024x768].jpg

Depending on the compression you can probably go with a larger cam. I don`t think you`ll get much lope at all from that cam.

were are all the gear heads on this one i know there are some engine builders on here that really know there stuff

You`ll need to bump this thread at prime time to get some activity going on it. We`re getting big enough now, (with so many threads started each day) that a lot of threads get moved down the list before people have a chance to view them.

The large cubes will require more cam to get a lope...

That is a fairly mild cam for a 496 CID... Are you sure the lift numbers are correct? For a cam with ~240*@.050 I would expect lobe lift numbers to be in the .330-.350 range (.495-.525 at the valve). the 1.6 rockers will help you some there

The 114* LSA is also going to smooth the idle out...

I don't think you will have very much lope in your engine.... But hop much lope is "enough"

i,d personally redo the heads with 2.14 intake valves and 1.81 exhaust so the big cubes can breathe

i,d personally redo the heads with 2.14 intake valves and 1.81 exhaust so the big cubes can breathe

I would have to agree there :cheers: that is what I did. But since I already have the .484 purpleshaft in my build I know what it sounds like and for me it has plenty of "lope" sound, also running a 3000 stall converter. Back to cam ? , the next step up would be a .509 and for an automactic street machine that is not a real driver friendly cam, I have one in my Charger but it is also a 4 speed, a little easier to drive on the street. Just my personal .02 worth and experience with this (similiar) build. ???

Since you're stroking that 440 ya gotto go with the bigger intake valves or kind of defeating the purpose and with the 1.6 ratio rockers you should have a little lope with that cam. Also make sure that your converter and rear gears match the zone that engine will want to run in.8)

im running a 4 speed and a 391 sure grip and i guess ill see if it with in my budget to get the bigger valves thanks for all the input

They make 2 different Mopar 484 cams. One on a 108 cl, which has a good lope, and the 114 cl to smooth it out for better street manners.

I have the 108 cl cam in a 440, has a good sound at idle.

I agree on the bigger valves. I have stock valve size in my 440 and wish I had put in the 2.14 1.81. But I hope to swap on some Edelbrocks one day.

It will still run good, just be smoother running with cam you have.

im getting the biger valves for the heads my next question is what size carb would you thank i would need like 750 dubble pump to small will i need to go bigger than that ?

I run a 750 on a 383, in your case with a stroker I'd say 850 DP'r minimum.

Good choice !

If you want to want the horses and the sound you aiming at you could consider the 6 pk set up, that is the route I took. But the 850 cfm is good too, that is what I'm running on the Charger

well here is an update wanted to tell you all thanks for your help i went with the biger valves on the heads and let the builder deside on carb, intake, and cam so he is putting in comp cam .540 lift holley 950 4150 hp street and eddy victor intake on another note i had the eagle crank and rods balanced from DYNO-FLO on ebay and the shop i have it at says it was way off and didnt charge me to fix it and i beleave the guys because they have to dyno the 496 stroker when there done with the complete long block build so it will be turn key engine when there done cant wait

Great to hear you,ve asked questions and got the proper answers needed.It,s better than just buying bolt ons.IMO.Now it sounds like your gonna have quite the screamer.I know my stroker sb has oodles of torque,so can only imagine a BB strokers torque and HP.Play safe!8)

well im about a weak from going to dyno .any guess on hp ? i will give the numbers and video when done

I think it all depends on what you want is it a go anywhere do anything motor then yes I think its a good cam.and you will know its is in there.not real radical..thats my thought ( as far as hp?? 375 to 425???

You should make some serious power 425-475 HP , torque is going to be amazing 500lb + . I had a 1970 440 6-pac block and crank with TRW 13 to 1 pistons cut down to 11.5 to 0ne , it was a beast . Had it in a 4x4 77 Ramchager and it would run in the 13's low if I took off the 700 lb roof .
The 440 is a great motor , reliable with gobs of torque . Good luck with yours , nothing like the feel of a big block when you hammer the pedal .

As for carburetor , it had a holley 850 DP with electric fuel pump .

-
Back