440 Engine install

-

hypermite

Reaction score
My 727 will be ready in a few days, so I'll be ready to start bolting this thing together, (74 Duster) I have 1 question; What is the most hassle free way to go about this (I've installed plenty of small blocks in A- bodies) but never a 440) is it easier to put the transmission in first ? or the engine , or bolt them together & put them in as one? I'm working on a concrete floor with just a basic 1.5 ton engine hoist, and a chain. no fancy engine tilting device. Everything is Schumaker by the way, mounts, headers, etc.

You know, I have found it easier to set the headers in the engine bay and tie them off to the side, set the engine in and then put the transmission on from underneath.

undo the brake lines, all the linkages and hoses, and t bars.

undo the k member and upper control arms

lower/ or in your case raise the front of the car up till you can get the k out. mount the engine and trans onto the k member and then lower the car over it...

this process is easier with a lift but it can be done...

Read the first 2 or 3 pages of this - No better way to do it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88358

100_2851.jpg

They say it's easy but I'll stay the old fashioned way, just put it in from the top engine and trans. I did mine all by myself in an hour.

Engine and trans bolted together from the top with the hood on using the same things you have. 74 Dart. Take your time and it will be fun:) Russ

They say it's easy but I'll stay the old fashioned way,
just put it in from the top engine and trans. I did mine all by myself in an hour.
You guys are CrAzY! I will never ever put any Mopar engine in
from the top again after doing it this way!

Note that even with a 440 or a Hemi in an A-body, the engine is
already bolted to it's mounts, the headers are already bolted on
tight and the trans is bolted on.

The body just falls down over the engine/trans/K-member onto
2 jackstands at the front crossmember. you release the cherry
picker from the body and hook it to the engine. Pick the powertrain
up about 6 inches and put in the 4 K-member bolts and the trans
mount bolts. put the torsion bars and control arms back together
and you are on the ground.

Nothing touches....and yes, you can do it alone.

From below is the only way to fly, no paint problems, and its a one man job.

With the schumacher kit it will be less work from the top, but agree the bottom is the way to go for best fitment and paint protection.

Ian

From below is the only way to fly, no paint problems, and its a one man job.

If you have an engine problem are going to drop the torsion bars, front suspension, steering column and K-frame again? To me thats alot of work if you just put a new motor in and it went bad. I have had this happen and there is no way I will drop everything from the bottom once the car was aready set up for the street and for the track.

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 648
If you have an engine problem are going to drop the torsion bars, front suspension, steering column and K-frame again? To me thats alot of work if you just put a new motor in and it went bad. I have had this happen and there is no way I will drop everything from the bottom once the car was aready set up for the street and for the track.
That would suck if you put it back together and it failed. I feel your pain I have had to redo a few things along the way myself. I hope you got her running.

I'm going to put the engine in from the top, I was just curious if it would be easier with the trans already in the car, or installed after the motor was in , or install both bolted together. I guess I didn't word my question correctly.

once you been in from the bottom....you'll never go in from the top....just sayn'

and you state you have NO engine tilter...and your going in thru the top.....without a way to tilt the motor/trans...better not even consider a combo motor/trans install

thru the bottom....no tilter required

I just went through this.

On the initial install, I was on a slab with one inexperienced helper and the engine / transmission basically fell into place. A cheap harbor freight hoist and a chain was it, we didn't even have a leveler.

When I replaced the engine this last summer I was at home with a tractor and bucket loader. I decided to not pull the transmission. It was one hairy install with alot of little stuff that took a long time to get in place and going.

I would do them together if I did it again.

No comment on coming up from underneath.

ROB

I did mine by myself no tiller, cherry picker and a chain with a floor jack to lift the trans as I lowered it in a little at a time. had it in and bolted down in an hour.

-
Back