440 needs to be Cool

-

yellow1

Reaction score
I have a 030 over 440 in my Demon. Aluminum radiator,shroud and 18 inch flex fan and it does not cut it in stop and go traffic! Looking to go electric fan, any suggestions? Its hot down here in the south. Space between rad and water pump is also an issue, about 3 inches is it. Looking for help!

Check out Griffin muscle car series. You get what you pay for.7 blade factory fan and a clutch.

Do you have a 26" radiator? I put a twin electric fan/shroud out of a late model LX car (Charger, Magnum, 300) on my 26" radiator and it fits perfectly. With a temp sensor stuck through the radiator it keeps my car at 180 deg.

I've got a cross flow 23 inch (26 inches with tanks). I need to know about how many cfms its gonna take to cool it

As a start, use a spacer between the fan and the water pump toget tHe fan about 1/2" from the radiator! Then install a fan shroud on the radiator.

CAn't beat an electric fan. Try that first.

Also, what temp thermostat are you using?

you could use the "airplane propeller!"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/33093878493...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_3486wt_1119
rustyfan.jpg

Had a similar problem, tried aluminum rad, shroud, turbo fan with elec push on the other side and water wetter coolant additive, then discovered on teardown that my 509 cam was cut 5 degrees retarded. When I re degreed it problem solved. Good luck.

Yellow1 - Welcome to the world of BB Dart Baby! - Yes, I am having the same problem. I started with a aluminum 2 core Griffin radiator 26 inch (sounds like the one you have), the propeller as described in gregs post and a pusher fan. Car was a bit lean and on after driving for a bit could not control the heat.

Now I fattend the crap out of it, put on a CC375 Champion, Jegs electric pump and twin fans - waiting for shroud. Works good, but once it gets in traffic does the same, waiting for shroud - I hope it works better.

OK - so, my recommendation find a fixed fan, my experience with the flexs is they dont pull as much low RPM, truly the propeller will be a good addition. The a pusher 16 inch on the other side - and are you too lean? Just a thought - sorry for the rambling, but I am pulling my hair out with this issue too. The 16 I used was about 2000 cfm - and I think GTXman has other good insight, but it sounds like you have a shroud, I would keep that.

Im using a Ford SVT dual electric fan and a 2 row alum radiator. Cools it sitting in the driveway at 80* outside temp. Monster air 35-3800CFM

Might check the radiator cap. Had that once. I have a radiator from a international truck in my Duster. Just fits between the frame rails. Had a larger electric fan off some Buick or something. It was cracked in the case, but worked good. Upgraded to a Jegs one that was smaller and not cracked. I haven't proven the fan yet, but I liked the bigger one better. The July 4th parade always took it to the edge.

Your fan is pulling air through the radiator and across the engine? Just making sure you don't have a reverse rotation fan.

Go big as u can with the radiator and go with twin electric fans but also run a electric water pump that system right there's works magnificent

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I use a Champion rad, prop fan on a clutch, 160 T stat, never seen anything over 180 and that was on a 90+ degree day, usually it runs at 165. This is an 11:1 engine on pump fuel, alum heads too. I love that Champion rad, had a BeCool in front of a mean 340, always ran hi on temp, never really liked it and it was a cross flow. The Champion I run now is a vert. I never run a solid fan. I had dual electrics in front of this set up but it was not as efficient as the single prop fan on a clutch, and I have no shroud. I degreed the cam during assembly and like has already been said that can account for some heat if it is installed incorrectly.

Check out Griffin muscle car series. You get what you pay for.7 blade factory fan and a clutch.

and by factory fan not these crappy new ones... find the 7 blade steel hub/aluminum fin off the big block cars... we spin ours over 7 grand without issues... the new ones cant go over 4

and by factory fan not these crappy new ones... find the 7 blade steel hub/aluminum fin off the big block cars... we spin ours over 7 grand without issues... the new ones cant go over 4

True that! I spin mine over 7 all the time, no issues!

Go big as u can with the radiator and go with twin electric fans but also run a electric water pump that system right there's works magnificent

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Thanks for using Topify, feel free to PM or post any feedback.:happy1:

Sorry to thread jack...:burnout:

im running a 26" 2 row rad. i built my duel electric fan set up from scratch. mine has never gone over 185. i can adjust the controller to where it will bring my temps all way down to 160 and close the thermostat. i sat in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour in 85* heat stayed right between 180-185.

jegs fans. 1860 cfm ea. pull 9.8 amps ea. have them run off a derale duel fan controller part # 16789.

young gun nice rad..... what all can you do with that controller.

the controller has one adjustment knob. it controls both fans. first one comes on at your set temp. 2nd comes on 10-15* hotter. both shut off when the fall below the set temp you choose for first fan. also have a manual override switch that will turn on 1 fan. I have a switch set up that is run between the sending unit wires so that if i hit the switch both fans come on and stay on. this set up with both fans going will cool the car from 180* down to below 160* and close the thermostat. I am extremely happy with the set up.

Thanks for all the input Guys! sorry it took so long for me to reply, its been a busy summer so far. While digging thru my junk pile I found a 7 blade aluminum clutch fan, just need to find the shortest clutch possible, seems likle I saw a posting about a Jaguar one that works.Just cant find the part number! Thanks everyone!

Do you have a 26" radiator? I put a twin electric fan/shroud out of a late model LX car (Charger, Magnum, 300) on my 26" radiator and it fits perfectly. With a temp sensor stuck through the radiator it keeps my car at 180 deg.

I read your post and was hoping to get a photo of your setup. I'm looking to do something similar on the 68 Barracuda. Do you have a 2 or 3 core radiator in your setup?
thanks
Robert

-
Back