440 Source Head Opinions?

-
Jim/IQ52 has very informative thread on the Stealth head OOTB vs prepped flow #'s.
OOTB Stealth vs Prepped Stealth?

Also, anything you can do with an Edelbrock RPM head you can do with a Stealth head prepared in the same way. With the best RPM head we ever had, the normally aspirated 451 stroker on 91 octane pump gas made 787 HP.

I should add that we do not perform any outside cylinder head services anymore as we are on to other pursuits.

Last edited:
Yeah, you have to subscribe. Engine Masters is worth the price of admission alone imho.
They were running a (small "ish") hydraulic roller.. 236/241@ .050 540ish lift. Freiburger wanted it to have more cam
but they didn't upgrage it ?

906's = 514 tq @3700 464 hp @5600
Stealths = 519 tq @3600 481 hp @5600
Eddies = 534 tq @4000 498 hp @5500
TF 240's = 538 tq @4200 522 hp @5600
This is what I thought, so the 440 source made a whopping 17hp over stock heads. Yeah, thats good for .5seconds off your et?... SMH I hate it when I'm right.

Kinda like the guys running small block TrickFlow heads and running dinky cams and dual plane intakes with an AFB carb.

Yeah, you have to subscribe. Engine Masters is worth the price of admission alone imho.
They were running a (small "ish") hydraulic roller.. 236/241@ .050 540ish lift. Freiburger wanted it to have more cam
but they didn't upgrage it ?

906's = 514 tq @3700 464 hp @5600
Stealths = 519 tq @3600 481 hp @5600
Eddies = 534 tq @4000 498 hp @5500
TF 240's = 538 tq @4200 522 hp @5600
This is what I thought, so the 440 source made a whopping 17hp over stock heads. Yeah, thats good for .5seconds off your et?... SMH I hate it when I'm right.
All this proved was you don’t need good heads to make a little power, I still would not send my money to china and it just proves you don’t know chit.. I would rather do up a set of cast iron mopar heads and make more power than Chinese shitheads.

I’m happy there are still people who want to spend $$$ reworking their old iron heads.
I’ve done several sets already this year, with several more sets sitting here waiting to get done.

I start our conversation saying “you do realize what you want will cost more than new aluminum heads, right?”
Sometimes they understand that and move forward with the iron heads.
Other times they change directions....... and sometimes they probably look for someone who will rework their stock heads for less $$$.

The Stealths certainly aren’t the last word in high tech Mopar BB heads, but for someone looking at cylinder head options where the Stealths are suitable for the build plan, I think they make more sense than spending the same money(or in many cases..... more $$$$) on 40-50 year old iron.

No one is twisting anyone’s arm here.
If you’d rather have the old iron....... or Ede’s, or TF, or Indy....... go for it.

Last edited:
All this proved was you don’t need good heads to make a little power, I still would not send my money to china and it just proves you don’t know chit.. I would rather do up a set of cast iron mopar heads and make more power than Chinese shitheads.
You're the one grinding, have at it.

I didn’t see 100hp extra out of the TF heads though.
Not even 1/2 of that.
You would have to have a bigger cam, better flowing intake, headers etc to make those heads work the best. You put a big cam in a set of stealth heads and you'll probably lose power.

...... But isn't the whole point of the 440 source ??? .... a way to replace the worn out factory cast for approx the same cost as rebuilding the factory cast... ???? with a 50 lbs lighter set of heads, and even in a mild case if you only gain 15 ft lbs of torque and 15 hp, it's still more of everything that's 50 lbs lighter for the same cost as putting new guides, springs, maybe exhaust valves, grinding the seats, resurfacing, and valve seals all in the old cast ??? I mean, either way, it's up to the builder. But I fully understand the reason folks would just buy a new set of Stealths

Hey to each his own but you guys that buy cheap Chinese junk and criticize our government for making a deal with them are just hypocrites, all the cranks, rods, intakes, ignitions and heads you buy are buying jobs from American workers and strength from our country but you don’t care about that.
My original point was the value in paying the difference is real and larger that you realize…

Pick any cylinder head you want because you can make plenty of horsepower with any of them. The only requirement is that you must be smarter than your cylinder heads. The Stealth head is a fine head but I would never use them without prepping them for the service intended.

Hey to each his own but you guys that buy cheap Chinese junk and criticize our government for making a deal with them are just hypocrites, all the cranks, rods, intakes, ignitions and heads you buy are buying jobs from American workers and strength from our country but you don’t care about that.
My original point was the value in paying the difference is real and larger that you realize…

I may be wrong but didn’t you say this same thing earlier in this post.

Not if you are smarter than your cylinder heads. Fortunately you need not hate yourself this time.
Uh, I guess we dont' speak the same language because you make no sense. If you have a cylinder head that flows X amount and you have a cam that doesnt allow that cylinder head to flow the number then they are worthless. You get it now? SMH some people

I usually find that the guys that say they would never buy Chinese race parts either aren’t racers or have a home filled with Chinese made products. But that’s ok.
So you’re say buy Chinese, you must have a big red flag over your garage. Most everything in my house is old in-fact the house was built in 1895. My vehicles are 14, 46 and 58 years old. I don’t buy off shore if I can help it. But you can’t go to the parts store and not buy Chinese Or Vietnamese.
If there’s something built with the Chinese **** heads and makes 750 hp Id like to here about it, not that it should but that it does. The idea of putting parts on a build with unknown quality that can take the entire build out is just stupid.

Last edited:
So you’re say buy Chinese, you must have a big red flag over your garage. Most everything in my house is old in-fact the house was built in 1895. My vehicles are 14, 46 and 58 years old. I don’t buy off shore if I can help it. But you can’t go to the parts store and not buy Chinese Or Vietnamese.
If there’s something built with the Chinese **** heads and makes 750 hp Id like to here about it, not that it should but that it does. The idea of putting parts on a build with unknown quality that can take the entire build out is just stupid.

^^^^^^^^^THIS.... At least someone gets it besides me lol

I wonder what kind of device you guys are using on line to type those responses with that isn’t at least partially of Chinese manufacture.

I wonder what kind of device you guys are using on line to type those responses with that isn’t at least partially of Chinese manufacture.
So you support China? Would you if you could rather buy American made products?

I wonder when the last computer chip was made in the U.S..
It won't be long and we will not be casting or forging steel.

I’m a realist.

I buy American when I can, if I can afford it.

But I’m not going to buy a $3500 Bryant crank and a set of $1800 Oliver billet rods to build a 650hp stroker.

For an application where Stealth heads would fit the needs of the build, I’d use Edelbrocks instead.

-
Back