451 Stroker Build

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well, finally had the opportunity to dyno my 451, worked well to 7200 and made 653 HP.

Here is the video

Took it to 7500, T&D's on #1 broke, so need to check the damage.

Here is the video to 7200:

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought new T&D's - will be going back together this week, waiting for a Victor valve, it had a chip on the stem, other than that, these are the only issue!

Valve train harmonics will do that. Are you running beehive style valve springs and titanium retainers?

No Beehives or titanium, cam is nearly 750 on the lift, pressure over the valves was about 275ish, that's a lot for any rocker-arm geometry.

Attachments

• Broken Rockers.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 533
Well, finally had the opportunity to dyno my 451, worked well to 7200 and made 653 HP.

Here is the video

Took it to 7500, T&D's on #1 broke, so need to check the damage.

Here is the video to 7200: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFQfRe9IoPc

Charles

Why did the dyno operator load that engine @ 2300 rpm or lower? Why was torque no higher than 421? Hate to say it but that is no 653 hp engine-not even by sound alone. J.Rob

275 spring load over the valves? is that seat load or full lift load? breaking a T & D is surprising, what do they think?

RAMM - Funny - calibrated ear right? I love it, got questions, feel free to call the shop, I am not debating something so trivial over a thread. All I know is the printout shows 653 hp - You do that calibration through the RCMP?

Marco - yes, I know the builder was a bit surprised, and i believe seat load, but not sure.

RAMM - Funny - calibrated ear right? I love it, got questions, feel free to call the shop, I am not debating something so trivial over a thread. All I know is the printout shows 653 hp - You do that calibration through the RCMP?

Marco - yes, I know the builder was a bit surprised, and i believe seat load, but not sure.

Don't take it personal my dear member,
You will get dickheads on here that want to bust your balloon,and some that give you a thumbs up!
I'm happy for you!

Well if the screen readout was in uncorrected torque (as my dyno is) then depending upon the correction factor, I could see around 650 HP.

What was the acceleration rate in rpm/sec?

Cudacox - I do appreciate it, and yes agree you get them everywhere, sometimes you just need to swing the bird. And thank you for the reality check.

IQ - Not sure, but I could ask.

Bye-the-bye..........J.Rob is a straight up guy.

And I sometimes jump to incorrect conclusions.

IQ, yea I get it and he probably is and we all do at times, fair.

- All is good

Marco - the engine builder triple checked to ensure no coil bind.

Just askin a question here......but I THOUGHT the whole point of a stroker was torque at lower RPM. Why over 7K? Just seems like you're askin for trouble.

AM I missin somethin?

The 451 is just a smaller packaged 440. They will rev.
On the output - given the broken part(s), you may still potentially have an issue. T&D is a very good rocker - but bad harmonics can break the best. I didn't watch the video -but I would add one can tell a lot by the sound and I'd put a lot of faith in RAMM's ear. I don't put much faith in dynos for a lot of reasons. Stick the engine in the car, weigh the car, and run the car down the 1/4. Then you'll know for sure.

The 451 is just a smaller packaged 440. They will rev.
On the output - given the broken part(s), you may still potentially have an issue. T&D is a very good rocker - but bad harmonics can break the best. I didn't watch the video -but I would add one can tell a lot by the sound and I'd put a lot of faith in RAMM's ear. I don't put much faith in dynos for a lot of reasons. Stick the engine in the car, weigh the car, and run the car down the 1/4. Then you'll know for sure.

Yeah, I know what it is.

But the whole point to "ME" even with "JUST" a 451 is a low RPM torque monster. With the 400's huge bore and the stroke of the 440, it shouldn't need to rev into the stratosphere.

At least, that was my thinkin.

I love the sound of a big V8 over 6500. And in some scenarios RPM is good. My buddy races a Ford 460 and traps at 8400rpm. It sounds more like an electric motor than an engine at the stripe.
I have no idea what the 451 has for a top end, but IQs power curve has a lot to do with the head choice (big volume for the displacement) and potentially a much better cam. And the valve train wasn't eating itself.

Are those MW Victor heads? If so then it should pull past 7000 rpm. Breaking a T&D rocker arm is a very bad sign. You probably have something wrong with the valve train. It might have been bad luck but I'd pull it apart and double check everything. Could be a binding issue, a clearance issue or perhaps a severe harmonic issue.

I love the sound of a big V8 over 6500. And in some scenarios RPM is good. My buddy races a Ford 460 and traps at 8400rpm. It sounds more like an electric motor than an engine at the stripe.
I have no idea what the 451 has for a top end, but IQs power curve has a lot to do with the head choice (big volume for the displacement) and potentially a much better cam. And the valve train wasn't eating itself.

Well Pro Stocks are limited to what....500 kyoobs? .....and we all know they rev to the moon.

I guess it all depends on what the intended design is. It's just in my mind that I would want one to make the most down lower so there wouldn't be a chance for breakage.

I reckon it's a good thing that it happened and didn't break and further. At least you know somethin's wrong now rather than when stuff is stickin through the sides of the block.

-
Back