5.9 converting to carb ?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
i Found a 1999 5.9 complete engine locally for a good price ,what would i need to convert the engine to Carb for my 70 dart,would i need to install electric fuel pump ? what else is needed ,can i keep the stock wiring harness ? its a slant 6 car

You need an intake manifold something like stuff from this page:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/dodge/engine-family/mopar-small-block-magnum/engine-size/5-9l-360/department/air-fuel-delivery/section/intake-manifolds?N=4294951331+4294940315+4294951326+4294951509+4294943595&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Then you need some sort of distributor since you have a /6, it won't work: any thing from a small block should plug right in.

You will need headers or exhaust manifolds that fit you chassis...I could never get magnums to fit on the driver side on my early A. 70 may be better. ????

To avoid having to change K-frame you will need something like this: '67-72 A-Body Products

I would personally use a stouter torsion bar, but that's me.

Not to mention you will need a transmission that will bolt to your V8.

An electric fuel pump would be needed, I think there is a kit out there to change it to a mechanical: Hughes Engines

Also, need an oil pan to fit the car chassis. Mid sump....don't know a source. But I think any 360 oil pan will work, but not sure. Others will chime in.

May need to go to this website for stuff I missed:

Carburetor or EFI?

Wiring harness would be mostly rerouting wires for distributor and etc.

Good luck.

sb

Last edited:
Excellent post. I used;

A '70 something V-8 OE distributor triggered by a MoPar Chrome box. A MSD would work as well.
Edelbrock RPM with an extra plug for
Under the Magnum Alt./PS. Bracket.
You'll have to drill and tap for the water temp sender. E-Z thing to do.
Headers. My swap was into a B body so I used Hooker Super Comps into an2-1/2 exhaust.
650 Edelbrock carb and a '72 air cleaner.
An Edelbrock electric fuel pump for carbs was plumbed in.

IMG_0126.JPG

It is pretty easy, swapped a mag 360 in my 1978 truck this spring.

Read up on he swap here.
(no title)

8Umodb.jpg

You need an intake manifold something like stuff from this page:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/dodge/engine-family/mopar-small-block-magnum/engine-size/5-9l-360/department/air-fuel-delivery/section/intake-manifolds?N=4294951331+4294940315+4294951326+4294951509+4294943595&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Then you need some sort of distributor since you have a /6, it won't work: any thing from a small block should plug right in.

You will need headers or exhaust manifolds that fit you chassis...I could never get magnums to fit on the driver side on my early A. 70 may be better. ????

To avoid having to change K-frame you will need something like this: '67-72 A-Body Products

I would personally use a stouter torsion bar, but that's me.

Not to mention you will need a transmission that will bolt to your V8.

An electric fuel pump would be needed, I think there is a kit out there to change it to a mechanical: Hughes Engines

Also, need an oil pan to fit the car chassis. Mid sump....don't know a source. But I think any 360 oil pan will work, but not sure. Others will chime in.

May need to go to this website for stuff I missed:

Carburetor or EFI?

Wiring harness would be mostly rerouting wires for distributor and etc.

Good luck.

sb
Will the oil pan on the Magnum engine work ? will 340 manifolds will work ?

This is a Mag converted to an LA style, with EQ Magnum heads that are drilled for the angled LA pattern intakes. (WAY more selections available for intakes)
If you use all the front covers, water pump and pulleys there is an inexpensive kit to change the Magnum cam to run an LA fuel pump, but some block the pump opening off and use an electric.
There is a cast mount stub on the drivers side of the block that interferes with most headers that is for truck mounts and it should be cut off before the engine goes in, or it's a PIA to get at once in the car.

A new center sump LA 360 oil pan and matching oil pump pickup can be had from Jegs or Summit for about 75 bucks

You'll need get or keep the Mag flexplate as it is balanced for the magnum, and with egging one hole fits the converter of the LA motors.

Distributor can be any smallblock distributor you like or have.

All my LA power steering and alternator brackets and pulleys bolted right up and lined up.

MagnumswapLA.jpg

If heads are not n the budget..... yea, nice move.

If heads are not n the budget..... yea, nice move.

I kind of figured Mag heads end up in the budget like it or not:D, but I also realize a lot run the OE's unless, or until there is a problem with them.
I had to sell one of my favorite hand guns to fund mine because they weren't in the budget.

Priorities you know.

It not a bad swat to do I put a 96 mag 360 in my 75 d 100 and converted my to use mechanical fuel pump

IMG_20160820_141432_415.jpg

This is a Mag converted to an LA style, with EQ Magnum heads that are drilled for the angled LA pattern intakes. (WAY more selections available for intakes)
If you use all the front covers, water pump and pulleys there is an inexpensive kit to change the Magnum cam to run an LA fuel pump, but some block the pump opening off and use an electric.
There is a cast mount stub on the drivers side of the block that interferes with most headers that is for truck mounts and it should be cut off before the engine goes in, or it's a PIA to get at once in the car.

A new center sump LA 360 oil pan and matching oil pump pickup can be had from Jegs or Summit for about 75 bucks

You'll need get or keep the Mag flexplate as it is balanced for the magnum, and with egging one hole fits the converter of the LA motors.

Distributor can be any smallblock distributor you like or have.

All my LA power steering and alternator brackets and pulleys bolted right up and lined up.

View attachment 1715001996
would you have a link to the conversion kit to change magnum cam to run LA fuel pump ?

Anybody have a picture of the Cast mount stub on drivers side that needs to be cut off maybe a before and after picture

Anybody have a picture of the Cast mount stub on drivers side that needs to be cut off maybe a before and after picture
My Dougs did NOT need any grinding on the block. Not even close. You might wait and mount your headers before installing in the car and see if it's even necessary.

would you have a link to the conversion kit to change magnum cam to run LA fuel pump ?

Hughes has them and here are the part numbers.

Hughes Engines has your back. We have cam snout extensions (#7013) and the eccentric (P4120484)

My Dougs did NOT need any grinding on the block. Not even close. You might wait and mount your headers before installing in the car and see if it's even necessary.

Not a bad idea.
The article I read online said it would be in the way of one of the two down tubes on some headers, and I have Headmans that didn't clear it.
It held the tube out just far enough to where the flange wouldn't sit flat on the head.

This is the one I had to trim and all I had to do was cut the top corner off where the black lines are.
It took about 60 seconds with a 4 inch grinder and a metal cut off wheel.

DSC01468.jpg

I ended up taking way more material off than that, just check the headers you have with your block.

Not a bad idea.
The article I read online said it would be in the way of one of the two down tubes on some headers, and I have Headmans that didn't clear it.
It held the tube out just far enough to where the flange wouldn't sit flat on the head.

This is the one I had to trim and all I had to do was cut the top corner off where the black lines are.
It took about 60 seconds with a 4 inch grinder and a metal cut off wheel.

View attachment 1715002902
Thanks for the picture

i Found a 1999 5.9 complete engine locally for a good price ,what would i need to convert the engine to Carb for my 70 dart,would i need to install electric fuel pump ? what else is needed ,can i keep the stock wiring harness ? its a slant 6 car

Whats a good price where you are? Around here its like 650 to 900 for a 5.9 with 160K miles.

-
Back