5-speed options

-
Gdonovan, I'm putting a TKO600 in a '67 notch. Bought it used out of a late-model Mustang. I had to cut out and fab a new crossmember as well as a tranny mount. I modified the transmission hump quite a bit just to make sure I had enough wiggle room and a good pinion angle. If you decide to go this route I'll be happy to share the pics I took along the way.

Scott

Thank you, if you could please some pictures and details.

yes i have n othing against E BODYS or the guys that own them,,im just saying the aftermarket cars more about the high dollar cars,,even tho there are way more A&B body cars around,,

hopefully MCLEOD will come thru and there 5 speed box wil fit and A body like a glove,,
and not turn into a paper wieght when you do some rowing.....

Thank you, if you could please some pictures and details.

Keep in mind I will not be using a center console and I don't care if my interior looks original or not. I made the crossmember out of 1.5x3 square tubing - not the prettiest, but it's stronger than the old one. I held the crossmember in place using the original bolt holes, and then welded it in. The lower crossmember (made of 1/4" plate) is dropped maybe 1" in the center. Overall my upper crossmember is probably 2-3" higher than the original.

The TKO is bulky in the crossmember area. The speedo cable comes out directly in line with the crossmember which could be a problem for you (I will be using the electric speedo signal and plugging the speedo cable hole).

The engine isn't in the car, so I built a jig from the K-member to hold the TKO in the right place. It made things a lot easier when dropping the trans multiple times during test fitting. If anyone is interested I'll sell the jig cheap.

If you need more pics just ask...
Scott

CIMG2463-1.jpg

CIMG2466-2.jpg

CIMG2470-1.jpg

CIMG2471-1.jpg

Cuda34-1.jpg

Cuda37-1.jpg

Cuda46-1.jpg

Cuda47-1.jpg

nice work man,,,,what is the tail shaft angle

Thanks. I can't remember the tail shaft angle off the top of my head. But I measured the output shaft height of the original 3-speed before I tore it out, and made sure the TKO was at the same height.

I suppose if a thinner crossmember was used, the trans tunnel could be dropped an inch or so. Strength and simplicity was more important for me.

If you want a more original look, the Keisler kit is probably the way to go. It must be a really tight fit though!

stuff like this proves that no kit will make it go in magically...great job by the way!

Hell for that much cutting you may as well slap a viper 6 speed in it.Theres a thread about it over at BBDart. Looks like it's not too bad.The most expensive part is the trans which,if you buy it used is maybe around 1600? in good times.

Sorry to jump the thread guys.

Im wondering how a 6 speed automatic would fit?

Thanks. I can't remember the tail shaft angle off the top of my head. But I measured the output shaft height of the original 3-speed before I tore it out, and made sure the TKO was at the same height.

I suppose if a thinner crossmember was used, the trans tunnel could be dropped an inch or so. Strength and simplicity was more important for me.

If you want a more original look, the Keisler kit is probably the way to go. It must be a really tight fit though!

sounds like your way of getting the correct tail shaft angle would work,,as long as you measured in the same area of the tail of the orignal tranny,, i had the same thoughts of doing it that way when i get to it,,, your cross member and tunnel look killler,,

So what is your budget?

I know of a R154 to SB setup for $650, includes aluminum 143T flywheel, bell, clutch, transimission, and driveline parts on the coast.

Hey DionR-
I've already got my R154 box. Willing to sell parts?

Hey DionR-
I've already got my R154 box. Willing to sell parts?

Sorry, not my kit, and he might have a buyer.

There was an aluminum flywheel in the for sale section that was identical to the one the guy I know has for sale. That's probably the big part of the swap, the rest was just junkyard parts.

Keep in mind I will not be using a center console and I don't care if my interior looks original or not. I made the crossmember out of 1.5x3 square tubing - not the prettiest, but it's stronger than the old one. I held the crossmember in place using the original bolt holes, and then welded it in. The lower crossmember (made of 1/4" plate) is dropped maybe 1" in the center. Overall my upper crossmember is probably 2-3" higher than the original.

The TKO is bulky in the crossmember area. The speedo cable comes out directly in line with the crossmember which could be a problem for you (I will be using the electric speedo signal and plugging the speedo cable hole).

The engine isn't in the car, so I built a jig from the K-member to hold the TKO in the right place. It made things a lot easier when dropping the trans multiple times during test fitting. If anyone is interested I'll sell the jig cheap.

If you need more pics just ask...
Scott

Nice. Thanks for posting up the pics, too. Gives me an idea as to what to shoot for when doing an A500 swap.

intresting article,, a 273 in a jap car lol

in case you missed it the toyota manual and dakota manual are made both ,made by a company called new process,,at one time this company was a joint venture with chrysler and was the supplier of the mopar manual boxes A-833,, being that they make the dakota and toyota boxes is why they interchange with the dakota bell housings,,but im not sure what years are common,,

That is sweet too bad the small block mopar and the big block dont share the same bellhousing patern, those R154 are known to handle 900hp with the Marlin Crawler upgrade kit that consists on a billet bearing bracket a trust washer and 1st to 2nd billet fork, i got one of them that was behind a 1000+hp 2jz supra engine that ran 8.45 in the 1/4 and still in good shape.

That is sweet too bad the small block mopar and the big block dont share the same bellhousing patern, those R154 are known to handle 900hp with the Marlin Crawler upgrade kit that consists on a billet bearing bracket a trust washer and 1st to 2nd billet fork, i got one of them that was behind a 1000+hp 2jz supra engine that ran 8.45 in the 1/4 and still in good shape.

you could always cut a dakota bell and a big block bell both being aluminum,and mate the modern dakota bell trans area to the big block bell housing,,,thats hot rodding,,,

you could always cut a dakota bell and a big block bell both being aluminum,and mate the modern dakota bell trans area to the big block bell housing,,,thats hot rodding,,,
I am really considering doing something like that my friend, you give me a damn good idea, doing the same but with a metal can, some fab on the part that mate the trany and weld it, i got a friend with a waterjet so lets see what happen, i'll keep you guys posted!

here is what i got!
fork_r640.jpg

celica153.jpg

bearingretainer.jpg

bearinretainerthrustwasher.jpg

seats640.jpg

sockethandle640.jpg

just wondering if anybody has heard anything new on the mcleod unit??

I am really considering doing something like that my friend, you give me a damn good idea, doing the same but with a metal can, some fab on the part that mate the trany and weld it, i got a friend with a waterjet so lets see what happen, i'll keep you guys posted!

here is what i got!
fork_r640.jpg

celica153.jpg

bearingretainer.jpg

bearinretainerthrustwasher.jpg

seats640.jpg

sockethandle640.jpg

not sure what alll you have pictured,,but if you have acess to a water jet,you may want to make up more then one,,and sell a few,,

i have heard the GM MCLOED is out,,figures

just wondering if anybody has heard anything new on the mcleod unit??

lets put it this way...nothing good

first off, the hopes of it fitting under a stock floor are not happening as far as i can see....they havent even tested to see if it would fit before they made that statement, they just did assuming because the case was the same imo

also, it doesnt seem anyone can get a straight answer about where its made...some were told asia, some US from Red himself...not too sure anymore...

when it was released at sema there was little to no R&D on it as far as i know...i hope it is a good tranny, but if it really holds up to 800lb of torque with synchros and helical cut gears, then jerico, gforce and liberty will go out of business VERY fast lol

-
Back