5-speed options

-
x2 I haven't heard anything new on the Mcleod unit. Also their website appears to be down. I hear they are under old managment again. I don't know if this changes anything. I would like a 5 speed like they advertised at SEMA but until I see one actually in an A body sadly I must remain a little bit skepitcal.

x2 I haven't heard anything new on the Mcleod unit. Also their website appears to be down. I hear they are under old managment again. I don't know if this changes anything. I would like a 5 speed like they advertised at SEMA but until I see one actually in an A body sadly I must remain a little bit skepitcal.

there website rarely gets updated, and being back under old management is good...they were owned by b and m before and they started to go down the toilet...thats why if this tranny isnt what they say it is, it could seriously hurt their newfound good reputation again

Well,either way I hope the tranny isnt dead now. The websight thing is frustrating. Maybe they got bombarded with emails about the 5 speed so they took it down? lol,just kidding..

i am still waiting on the flier they said they were going to send me right after the sema show......

so are you saying red roberts bought the company back from B&M ??? that would be a good thing,,,,

so are you saying red roberts bought the company back from B&M ??? that would be a good thing,,,,

well it is bought back from bandm which is better then nothing...someone else owns it (I think an old racer if im not mistaken) but red is the manager again....been this way since before summer of last year

Done business with Red years ago, a good man.

I was cruising another mopar forum and found another company is building their own 5 speed box

http://www.passonperformance.com/

From what i read they are looking to release it in the spring. They claim no cutting of any kind and you can reuse a lot of your factory pieces.

here is a link to the thread

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5589463&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

look on the 2nd page half way down you will see the post

looks like the 5 speed will be plentiful come May June hopefully these new units will be what people are claiming

I was cruising another mopar forum and found another company is building their own 5 speed box

http://www.passonperformance.com/

From what i read they are looking to release it in the spring. They claim no cutting of any kind and you can reuse a lot of your factory pieces.

here is a link to the thread

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5589463&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

look on the 2nd page half way down you will see the post

looks like the 5 speed will be plentiful come May June hopefully these new units will be what people are claiming

be looking to spend the same amount as a keisler kit....for just a transmission!

I agree it will be $$$ but the cost my be off set but all the cutting and welding time you save but until its out its all speculation.

That would be cool if some one could redesine the A-833 with a 5th gear in it. I have thought of using the OD 4-speed but would realy like to have that 5th gear.

I agree it will be $$$ but the cost my be off set but all the cutting and welding time you save but until its out its all speculation.

For a mostly bolt in 5 speed $2500 works for me.

yes i agree a mostly bolt in 5 speed for 2500 or less will work,,,you can geta tremec mail order for 2200 from summit,, i have recently seen a TKO tremec in a mustang magazine for 1700,,a killer price,,but noe ive read bits and pieces,,not sure if there is any truth to it or not,, that shifting problems in the tremec TKO around 6500 RPM,,

but so far the TKO offers the best gear ratio selection,,,,

if the MC cloed offers a steep 1st gear ide be very intrested,,,,,but a 5 speed with a factory 1st gear ration wont work for me,,,

im running 33 inch tall tires,,and a 4;56 rear gear,,and i can cruise the interstate,,,i have just switched to a 3;91 gear,,havent had it out yet,,which will reduce my cruising RPM by 600,but because i use a 1965 formula S box it has a 3.09 first gear,,,,a factory OD box uses the same first gear,,, i wont lose that much off the line,,

now if i put a tranny in there with say 2;65 or 2;45 1st gear with my tall tires,,it would probably bogg,,,and that is why i need a steep 1st gear and a nice OD ratio,,,best of both worlds,,,

so bring on the MC cloed info,,lol

yes i agree a mostly bolt in 5 speed for 2500 or less will work,,,you can geta tremec mail order for 2200 from summit,, i have recently seen a TKO tremec in a mustang magazine for 1700,,a killer price,,but noe ive read bits and pieces,,not sure if there is any truth to it or not,, that shifting problems in the tremec TKO around 6500 RPM,,

I was referring to the information from a few people that 2 companies were working on bolt in units for mopar that needed very little in the way of extra pieces.

In other words, a direct replacement for an 833.

Oh I expect a shorter driveshaft and new shifter setup but thats expected at a minimum.

I upgraded from the OD 833 to the Keisler TKO 500 two years ago. The gear ratios are right on. When I shifted out of first at 6000 with the old trans the RPM would drop to 3300 in second. That's a big drop. Now I have a lower first and a taller top gear but closer ratios in between. The car is so much easier to drive now my kid uses it. That might not be such a good thing now that I think about it. LOL

With a 3.55 rear and a low 3.27 first I can crawl in traffic and launch at the track. I don't miss shifts anymore either. Fifth gear cruises 70 @ 2200 RPM. Keisler mounts a steel plate on the back of the bell housing for precise alignment and to fit the TKO. Now the bolts thread into steel instead of a worn out aluminum hole in the bell housing. I think those bolts started tearing loose when I added the Nitrous.

if the MC cloed offers a steep 1st gear ide be very intrested,,,,,but a 5 speed with a factory 1st gear ration wont work for me,,,

im running 33 inch tall tires,,and a 4;56 rear gear,,and i can cruise the interstate,,,i have just switched to a 3;91 gear,,havent had it out yet,,which will reduce my cruising RPM by 600,but because i use a 1965 formula S box it has a 3.09 first gear,,,,a factory OD box uses the same first gear,,, i wont lose that much off the line,,

now if i put a tranny in there with say 2;65 or 2;45 1st gear with my tall tires,,it would probably bogg,,,and that is why i need a steep 1st gear and a nice OD ratio,,,best of both worlds,,,

The Mcleod is offered with either a 2.66 or 2.95 first gear

ok kool thanks the 2;95 would be my choice,,,wondering if there is a OD choice,,,

I hope both Mcleod and passon trannys do well but like everyone knows more people will start buying after they have seen it in a car.

ok kool thanks the 2;95 would be my choice,,,wondering if there is a OD choice,,,

no OD options, just a .63 OD and options for first gear

anybody read page 3 of http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5589463&page=0&fpart=3&vc=1 ? Jamie mentioned that his 5 speed will be under $5000.

saw that too...thats NUTS...Id rather spend the money on a g-force, liberty, nash or jerico for that kind of money and know that ill never break it even if i have to cut the floor...I dont care how much R&D went into Jamie's trans, that price reflects him taking advantage of a market of mopar guys who want a nice fitting overdrive...if it was priced around 2500 then sure, but heck anything more than that is crazy imo

I believe the 1st gear is 3.27 in the TKO-500 that I have. I'm running 3.91 in my vert and it launches very hard. You're not in first gear for long.

DAVE, , im sure with the 3.27 first gear the RPMS come up qucik,,,,probably too quick,,you may of been better off with the 2.87 first gear TKO,,

i have tall tires,knocks the gear down a BIT and a 3.09 first gear,, and the RPMS come up quick,,, ill have to calulate the .063 OD for the MC cloed,,,i think the 2.95 first gear will be a nice choice,,and hopefully the .63 od WILL work with my new 3.91 and 33 inch tall tires,,

Not trying to burst your bubble,but the McLeod tranny aint in production yet. Kinda pointless calculating anything yet,lol!

-
Back