$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
need to mic the crank and see what kinda shape its in,..last one i had turned 10/10 cost 85 bucks,..money well spent if it needs it!! even for a 0 budget build!!

Okay I'm up! it's been a long first week back to work and now it's time to get going on this motor! it's raining out and the motor is on the floor in the back of that shed behind a bunch of crap and someone stole my hand truck I had in my truck with in the last 2 years when I put it there. :bs_flag: I'm thinking that wheelbarrow laying on the side of the sheds? Ooohhh MAN! In
20170318_081602.jpg
the quiet of the morning I can hear the rain hitting the house sideways it sounds lousy out there! I don't want to get out of bed....

I here ya, weather is nasty here, trying to stay motivated.

Hey, I have a "free bee" 360 with rusted cylinders disassembled. Been sitting for years.
Maybe we can have a "race on the cheap". You and me. lowest dollar/fastest E.T. wins.
You can derust that block easily by soaking it in a 6-1 mixture of water/molasses...

I have a 55 gallon drum that I fill every year for my old parts. Use the hell out of it and dump it in the late fall.

I buy a 50# bag of dry molasses for about $18.00 at my local feed store... makes about two barrels of mixture. Mix the hell out of it and go to town. It usually takes at least a week to derust any sizeable rust deposits... be patient and you will be amazed.

Well things are looking very good! The bearings are still in everything and they looked good but we'll see on that. I found a set of valve covers that will work and oh yeah underneath the valve covers the seat bracket if my wife's going to drive the car show need to be up a little higher and more forward. The cranks in the other bag we'll see on that too. A bit more luck with the transmission that's been sitting outside for 2 years out of the rain, but still that bit of luck with the transmission the slip yoke is still in the back another thing that I would have had to look for..
20170318_100759.jpg
20170318_095251.jpg

that's one ugly head. lol looks like you have your work cut out. your plan reminds me of the old days. fun !

Low budget............

Haul every thing to the car wash, blast all the crud off there, run a bottoming tap in all the bolt holes, clean/chase all the threads, rub the gasket surfaces with a large oil stone to knock off any burrs, scrub the chambers in the heads with a wire wheel, carefully pour some solvent down the ports, if nothing leaks buy into the chamber there is no reason to go further on the heads, they seal. 800 grit wet/dry, a piece of leather lace, wd-40, polish the crank if you can't catch a finger nail, if you can source another crank or turn it, which ever is cheaper. Berryman products has a great dip parts cleaner, soak a piston in it for about 15 minutes, garden hose it off, should be pretty clean, if not, another 15 minutes, broken ring to clean the grooves. After the pistons, soak all the hardware. Soak the oil pump pick up. Blue berry cylinder condition, 30 seconds a hole.

Search CL/here/ anywhere you can think of for a used take out cam and lifters if your looking to "enhance it" a little.

Low budget............

Haul every thing to the car wash, blast all the crud off there, run a bottoming tap in all the bolt holes, clean/chase all the threads, rub the gasket surfaces with a large oil stone to knock off any burrs, scrub the chambers in the heads with a wire wheel, carefully pour some solvent down the ports, if nothing leaks buy into the chamber there is no reason to go further on the heads, they seal. 800 grit wet/dry, a piece of leather lace, wd-40, polish the crank if you can't catch a finger nail, if you can source another crank or turn it, which ever is cheaper. Berryman products has a great dip parts cleaner, soak a piston in it for about 15 minutes, garden hose it off, should be pretty clean, if not, another 15 minutes, broken ring to clean the grooves. After the pistons, soak all the hardware. Soak the oil pump pick up. Blue berry cylinder condition, 30 seconds a hole.

Search CL/here/ anywhere you can think of for a used take out cam and lifters if your looking to "enhance it" a little.
I love it. reminds me of the old days, backyard rebuilds with my brother. anyone ever try rebuild pellets, I did. lol

Okay so far my take on it is that I took a knife to a gunfight I brought safety glasses to the carwash and I should have had a full body condom! But in the end everything is looking very good and I'm not catching my finger on anything! Hald the crank over threw it in the garage too look look good. I put the motor on the motor stand WD the crap out of everything. There's much more cleaning left to do of course and I need to shuffle some things around in the garage to make some bench space. I'll get on to that later this afternoon or starting on it tomorrow. Wife came home from visiting friends and can hardly wait to jump in and help start cleaning. I just wanted to get the big stuff off. So far $50 for the motor and transmission and now 29.65 at the parts store for cleaners and brushes but it came with a small free box that I will start the receipt collection in. Plus about $5 i quarters at the carwash. Pictures coming next....

Wait a minute a couple more specs to share so I can get some help on the stock this I guess the crank? My cheap Harbor Freight (boy this is going to drive YR NUTS-LOL) micrometer says the crank is 2.80? and the rod bearing area lol is 212? Does this sound stock to you?

Cheap Harbor Freight mic...

They are calipers, not micrometers, inexpensive doesn't make them bad......as a side note, never forget that China has Thermonuclear capability, the ability to deliver them any where on the planet, and have put people into space, and they did it on their own, no small engineering feat..........back to the point at hand; I have never cared for digital measuring devices.....my calipers are $19.95 Centech dial, my micrometers are no name import and they measure up just as well as my Dads Stearett mic's (sp?) and he was a Tool and Die maker..........accurate measurements are based more on how you hold and use the tools not who made them.

Can you catch a fingernail there at the top of the cylinder?

It seems like you can feel a little something but not like enough to catch a fingernail on...

You might want to take the soft plugs out of the block, the one in the pic looks like it may be almost rusted thru.

Borrow the wife's dishwasher to clean the parts... I have some Jeep piston/rod assemblies on final rinse right now!

-
Back