572 Hemi / Is it Worth it?

-

dakota farmer

Reaction score
I have a problem. I have a 69 dart that I am toying with putting a 572 hemi out of. I just started ordering some of the parts to put the motor together. The problem is that I am getting cold feet and was curious if I should keep pursuing the hemi install or should switch back to a RB motor for simplicity. The block I am starting with is a world block, is that any different than the 426 hemi block?

I was just curious if there is someone that could give me some direction and tell me if it is worth the headache of the hemi. It looks like a lot of work and alot of fabrication. Is an aftermarket K frame worth it. Thanks for the help.

Hoping to put a Hemi in my car also. Motor plate makes things simpler, you will need to persuade the right inner fender a bit. TTI has a set of headers available for it.

IMO the only reason to do that would be to say "I've got a hemi".

There are many other ways to make that horsepower. Most of them are easier to work on and all of them are cheaper.

IMO the only reason to do that would be to say "I've got a hemi".

There are many other ways to make that horsepower. Most of them are easier to work on and all of them are cheaper.

LX is correct but then when your finished you just have another 69 Dart. Cool in it's own right but still......... HemiDenny is a member here and he makes k-frames for this kind of install. You don't have to hammer the inner fenders or change anything. If you want to go back to a 440, 340 just swap out the k-frame for your old one, its that easy. Send him a PM

Kinda hard to beat a HEMI. Them four letters kinda say it all.

Thank you for all the replies..... I have decided to keep working on the hemi. The car is going to take a lot of tweaking to handle the big hemi...but I think it will be worth it to pop the hood and see the hemi. I will talk to hemidenny about getting a k-frame....whatever I can do to make the install easier. Thanks again....hemi it is.

It's funny.....I am working on a 354 Hemi now for a rod project of some sort.....when I find sumffin to put it in. I been lookin at rods of different sorts and one thing is clear. You can get a nice rod for somewhere around 20K. But.....if it is Hemi powered....and I mean ANY kinda Hemi that at the very least ads 10K to the price....and people are gettin it. So that means if you are careful you can get your money back if you ever need to.

I had heard from a old timer There are 2 types of people, those who want a Hemi car and those who have 1. Then on the other hand, one A-hole told me "a Hemi wasn't anything but a big boat anchor". My brother has a very nice blown indy headed big block '73 cuda ,and I would say people take more pic's of the Hemi then the blower motor. And the girls always say "it's so big "or "it's huge" and I say "I know" or "I get that alot," never gets old.

it takes a little bit of work to get it in there, but after that its no big deal. even the big block chevy guys come over to check out your mopar when your sporting a hemi.

crossram.jpg

Actually, in some ways it's easier to put a Hemi in than an RB motor. With the Hemi the headers come out the bottom, while the RB they come out the side necessitaiting all sorts of weird bends sparklug access annoyances. Yes, you can now make good power with an RB motor with todays heads & yes, the RB can be less finicky but it'll take more effort & more technology to get the power a Hemi naturally produces,
And if you're thinking of simply using the old fenderwell style headers to simplify the swapp you're now limiting yourself to wheel size & increasing your turning radius......

Watch out for those World blocks dakotafarmer. My dad (Greg Fernald of SS and AFX) has built a lot of them and has come across defective blocks from world industries on several occasions. Yes, World is the manufacturer for the new Mopar branded hemi blocks. problems like blocked off oiling passages, and pinholes in the rear of the block are but two of several examples he has encountered using their blocks. Most have turned out ok but that is one expensive motor to build so quadruple check everything! Stage 5 is a great source for heads and valvetrain.

HEMI, four letters that when put in that order make chevies and fords quiver in fear, and the hemi is worth it, ive got a rb motored 67 gt and more often than not, people will tell me, nice motor, but its not a hemi

I have a problem. I have a 69 dart that I am toying with putting a 572 hemi out of. I just started ordering some of the parts to put the motor together. The problem is that I am getting cold feet and was curious if I should keep pursuing the hemi install or should switch back to a RB motor for simplicity. The block I am starting with is a world block, is that any different than the 426 hemi block?

I was just curious if there is someone that could give me some direction and tell me if it is worth the headache of the hemi. It looks like a lot of work and alot of fabrication. Is an aftermarket K frame worth it. Thanks for the help.

Farmer,

If you need any help or advice on the Hemi install don't hesitate to contact me. I will be glad to help anyway I can.

I'm in the late stages of putting a slightly larger (all aluminum) Hemi in the wife's '69 Cuda FB "street car".

sscuda

dakota farmer if you want to see some more discussion on this check out my thread Hemi yes or no, we spent a bunch of time talking about this same issue. I decided to go with the Hemi myself and should be getting my motor back from builder this week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhIq2-C14I"]‪Classic Hemi on the Dyno‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

It's a pump gas motor making 550 hp and about 525 tq.

As for the extra work so far it has not been to bad.

LX is correct but then when your finished you just have another 69 Dart. Cool in it's own right but still......... HemiDenny is a member here and he makes k-frames for this kind of install. You don't have to hammer the inner fenders or change anything. If you want to go back to a 440, 340 just swap out the k-frame for your old one, its that easy. Send him a PM

yea you do...

Watch out for those World blocks dakotafarmer. My dad (Greg Fernald of SS and AFX) has built a lot of them and has come across defective blocks from world industries on several occasions. Yes, World is the manufacturer for the new Mopar branded hemi blocks. problems like blocked off oiling passages, and pinholes in the rear of the block are but two of several examples he has encountered using their blocks. Most have turned out ok but that is one expensive motor to build so quadruple check everything! Stage 5 is a great source for heads and valvetrain.

bingo... we had a major oil leak out of the water jacket!

hey sscuda...did I read right?....a slightly larger?....than Farmers 572?....in your wifes car?

man...you play for keeps...
whose aluminum block?
modified stock K frame or tubular (front steer rack/pinion)?

latter stages of build???....where's the build thread?....I (we) want to see....how about sharing?....we do!

Denny

yea you do...
Really?? Body guy spent his morning checking this out. It is a plastic mock up block that is a touch narrower than the real thing, but with an oem style valve cover, which according to Stage V will clear there rockers, there is plenty of room. There was apparently a large variance on the production line when these cars were built. So take the fender cutting thing with a grain of salt. Only thing you can do is to verify it on your car......And Indy Cylinder Head makes a clearanced valve cover that was designed to clear the shock tower and blower motor, if you have one of the cars that the valve cover does indeed hit.....

Attachments

• 100_0101.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4,677
  • 100_0100.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 4,319
Really?? Body guy spent his morning checking this out. It is a plastic mock up block that is a touch narrower than the real thing, but with an oem style valve cover, which according to Stage V will clear there rockers, there is plenty of room. There was apparently a large variance on the production line when these cars were built. So take the fender cutting thing with a grain of salt. Only thing you can do is to verify it on your car......And Indy Cylinder Head makes a clearanced valve cover that was designed to clear the shock tower and blower motor, if you have one of the cars that the valve cover does indeed hit.....

unless you stick a real engine in there you wont be able to see.... for what ever reason the mock up blocks arn't quite right in some fashion...

we ONLY use factory valve covers and the issue is that with the good tool steel retainers is that they are bigger in diameter, so thats what causes them to hit the v/c's, not the rockers...

when were done with EVERY car we have less than 1/4" clearance... you have to jack the engine up to take the passenger side valve cover off...

i can get a better pic tomarrow...

Attachments

• 100_3514.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 4,886
Kinda...kinda...depends on what type of steering gear you use.....better bolt up the stock steering box and exhaust ....or whatever you plan on using

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Hey thanks again for all the info on the world blocks and the install. I will be letting you know how the project is going. Finally got the slant six out and gave it to a neighbor who is going to put it in a swather......not important...but thanks again for all the help. I was nervous about putting the hemi in...but I think with the experience of this group I should be able to figure it out. Ill keep you posted.

No space issues with HemiDenny's K-member. You can run a flat hood
too with single 4-Bbl or factory style 2x4-Bbl intake setups.

He also found that the issue with the World Products aluminum blocks
was that World put a bunch of sealer on the oil galley plugs before
screwing them in which, after it hardened broke off in chunks and
would plug the oil galleys. Sold as "ready-to-assemble" or not, have
your machinist thoroughly check it out before assembly.

Denny called World Products and told them about the sealer issue so
hopefully that has now been addressed but he had two of them at once.

DennysShop04-31-11008.jpg

Dollar for dollar, isn't it cheaper to buy a crate Hemi from someone like Indy that is allready assembled and dynoed?
Any block problems etc. should be taken care of before shipped or am i wrong?
The individual pieces, shipping, machine work, and assembly would cost a lot i think.
Let alone all of the time and tools involved.
Has anyone tried the new A-body Hemi headers that have come out recently?
A Hemi A-body is one of my bucket list cars!

-
Back