572 Hemi / Is it Worth it?

-
you got me...build a tubular K-frame for a Hemi/A-body....no problem

load some pics on this thread....I'm baffled.....who da thunk it?

I got an email with more up to date pics on Troy Bray's Hemi dart with todays progress. Maybe two weeks from startup...

Attachments

• HemiDartmisc4011.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • HemiDartmisc4010.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 969
  • HemiDartmisc4015.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 908
  • HemiDartmisc4018.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 917
  • HemiDartmisc4023.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 880
This is how Troy Bray's Dart look Sept 2, 2011 afternoon 8 days ago!

Attachments

• PICT5795.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 868
  • PICT5794.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 899
Pictures today Sept 11, 20011.

8 days from picture above! All windows in except passenger door.

Note:
  • Button(s) on package tray
  • "B" body rear end used/marked
  • License plate

Attachments

• Troy9_11_11Dart14.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 845
  • Troy9_11_11Dart13.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 875
  • Troy9_11_11Dart11.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 861
  • Troy9_11_11Dart7.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 974
  • Troy9_11_11Dart2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 848
  • Troy9_11_11Dart.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 872
Hey Dakota Farmer a friend of mine is selling a 572 hemi, KB block,stage 5 heads, callies crank, oliver rods and so on, was in a 68 dart i believe it ran 8's if interested let me know. I believe its a fresh rebuild.

Are you using an 8 3/4 under that Dart?

The car is Troy Bray's not mine.

He is using the 8 3/4 as delivered by the factory. Look at the rear tires, not going to hurt that rear. The car is to mimic "as it was delivered" to the racer. Primer, skinny tires, and all!

They don't sell a long trunk divider for Darts without backseats. Troy took a trip to Home Depot and matched the package tray texture and carved one up....

Attachments

• HemiDartmisc6002.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 859
  • HemiDartmisc6001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 817
Hello everybody. My name is Troy and I'm the owner of the Hemi Dart that Steve has been posting pictures of.

Boy oh boy this thread is all over the place. LOL!! You guys are talking about full tilt race cars to street car in this thread. I'm going to put in my two cents in and see how it goes.

For the person that is using the plastic mock up block...... you might want to find yourself a blown up Hemi block on E bay or at a swap meet because (I really hate to say this) those are not that accurate at all. I have had MANY customers loose time and money working with those blocks....sorry.

The person who are making the tubular K member.....those are very nice looking!!

For the many people that are reading this thread thinking about building a Hemi A body. I'll tell you, with these new headers from TTI it just got even easier than ever before. I went to SSAND AFX.com, got the kit and did many hours of research (well over 150 hours!!) getting that engine sitting where it should be and then I took the car, engine, trans and all 1968 front suspension parts to TTI and they did the rest. Those guys did one heck of a job building a 2 1/8" header that fits BETTER than some of there small block headers....I'm not kidding!!

Banging on the passengers side shock tower. I'll tell you what I have found. IF you put this engine in just like in the diagram shows that Steve posted, you do not have to bang on the fender well. BUT there are a few thing that you must follow:

Stock Iron or Aluminum Mopar heads. No Indy, KB or Stage V heads.
Stock rockers and stands.
Stock valve covers.
Do not use a crossram intake. Any inline intake will work.

If you follow those four steeps you will be ok. The big one is the aftermarket valve covers and the Crossram intake. The crossram hangs over the heads so far that you cant roll the valve cover up and out of the way. Even with all the banging I did I still have to push down and flex the valve cover to clear the shock tower and the intake.

If anybody have any question that I might be able to help you with just let me know.

Thanks, Troy

if ya don't mind spillin' the beans...what did those headers set you back?

For what it is worth trimming the inner fender/shock tower is not that big of an issue.....

Attachments

• 100_0178.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 828
the original question was is a hemi worth it.... i dont think there is a cheap answer in your future!

and he let off @ the 1000' mark so it wouldn't break 9's.... no license...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr85jOn-7GY"]SS And AFX Landy Clone - YouTube[/ame]

Well there's ways to make it worth it.

Try to do as much of the work yourself as possible and create your own destiny.

These seat belt straps were made from very inexpensive seat belt webbing bought on ebay and a button kit bought as Michael's craft store. Then ends sewed up in someones home sewing machine. Like under $20 to make.

Carpet is not held down by the rear seats so Troy glued it. One trick he did was lay a masking tape line down the center-line of the trans tunnel hump on the carpet. That way it was quick to locate the center-line and work from the center out.

When doing the front section he laid a tape line on the rear carpet mock up so when he made his pedal, highbeam, and trans cable cuts he always went back to the same point fore and aft.

Attachments

• TroyDart9_18_11Sm04.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 807
  • TroyDart9_18_11Sm08.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 771
  • TroyDart9_18_11Sm11.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 779
  • TroyDart9_18_11Sm13.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 784
if ya don't mind spillin' the beans...what did those headers set you back?

With the coating inside and out they sell in the $900+ range. Compared to a set of custom headers costing in the $1400 with no coating, there well worth it.

you're preachin' to the choir my friend....$900.00 is a bargain for that work of art....just ask anyone who has attempted a similiar feat.......and Chevy stuff don't count

you're preachin' to the choir my friend....$900.00 is a bargain for that work of art....just ask anyone who has attempted a similiar feat.......and Chevy stuff don't count

Well thank you, you do very nice work as well!!

Got a ride in Troy's (ns1rm21) Hemi Dart today. EXACTLY one month back from being a painted shell...

Worth it !

Attachments

• TroyDart10_2_11Sm22.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 782
Back to the original question...."Is it worth it" I can answer that for you....HELL YA!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIrU5pen-54"]1968 Super Stock Hemi Dart from Hurst First Drive - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCXe5fk3Sc"]1968 Super Stock Hemi Dart from Hurst Motor Start-Up - YouTube[/ame]

I got this monster running a week or so ago and everything went real well. Had a few electrical issues but there all sorted out. After two different advance springs in the distributor the car turned into a very easy car to drive. Steve and I went on a 10 mile trip this past weekend and I could not ask for anything better. Water temp, 170, oil pressure, 65psi and this thing was idling at 800RPM in drive and 900 in neutral....I can't ask for muck better than that!!

Thanks Steve for all your help!!

Back to the original question...."Is it worth it" I can answer that for you....HELL YA!!

I got this monster running a week or so ago and everything went real well. Had a few electrical issues but there all sorted out. After two different advance springs in the distributor the car turned into a very easy car to drive. Steve and I went on a 10 mile trip this past weekend and I could not ask for anything better. Water temp, 170, oil pressure, 65psi and this thing was idling at 800RPM in drive and 900 in neutral....I can't ask for muck better than that!!

Thanks Steve for all your help!!

I didn't do much. But I had a few part laying around. I just watch, observe, and try to learn.

don't forget to take a spin by the police station....you know...just to wave Hi!

LOL!! Just ask Steve about the Police around here. He learned all about them last Sunday night!!

-
Back