/6 headers

-
As far as I know the only "off the shelf" headers for the slant are Clifford or Hooker. Neither will fit the 170 engine without modifications (head sits lower on the block, and creates chassis clearence problems). The clifford is the only one that will fit the 66 and older car.

As far as I can see,it looks like he does offer a product at a decent price,and it has to have performance gains.and the amount of gain is trivial,if you want a race slant you need tube headers,if you want that sound,you need dual manifolds or headers or the power pipe.mine are how they did it back in the day(old school)they are the down pipe form a chevy 305 exhaust manifold grafted onto a broken old stock slanty manifold.the only testing I have done with mine is to drop them on the concrete floor about 15 times to make sure the welds would hold.they fit all slants all years with or without power steering or a/c and i imagine if I was to make a sheet metal heat riser for the bottom of the intake it would hide the welds completely.the port configuration from the manifold pieces line up nicely and starter removal is simple.ya'll can do this,it's easy.I didn't grind the welds or clean em or paint em but will one day. Good Luck

674-518 305 manifold for slant six consumption.jpg

duals.JPG

I like your headers waggin. I have a old exhaust manifold and might try that and see if my welds will hold I thought brass welding was better on cast iron. Did you mig weld them or arc weld.

I mig welded them,I tacked the four corners then threw em around the shop for a bit and they didn't break,then I finished welding them and gave em "the test"(samsonite suitcase monkee's) were there to help!they passed the monkees testing and are installed and hooked up.I recently recieved the other 305 manifold I needed to make a set for............can't tell you. and armyofchuckness showed up with the ones for his lil' valiant.now I just gotta go unbolt some stock slanty manifolds and start cutting and welding.i'll probably get the other sets sandblasted and hit em with a coat of black stove paint,will probably clean up the welding a bit now that they have passed the test.I tryed to weld a 340 hipo manifold and the metal from that was impossible to mig weld but the metal from the slanty and the 305 seems to be compatible.I'll take pic's as I do this set and hopefully help you guy's that wanna try it. will post pic's for ya'll so if your gonna do up a set armyofchuckness provided the pic of the 305 manifolds you need.they are pretty popular at trashcans and junkyards.you might need to pal up with a chebby guy to get some!!!!!

-
Back