/6 puking problem

-

QuintinMotorCompany

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went outside and got the duster out from the front lawn because it started raining. I put it in the garage and waited until the rain stopped and when I went back in the garage to bring it back out , I was welcomed by a very big puddle.

at first I thought.. its just the radiator , one of the hoses or the drain....

I checked all the hoses and drain and overflow and everything was dry.

I then backed it out of the garage and took a looksee.

Its leaking from bottom of the water pump/block

right where the waterpump seals to the block , I can't see up there but the bolt and the whole water pump is dry , the only thing wet is the block and really wet.... I got it out there and wait a second and it came pouring out. Most of it is antifreeze/water. some of it is oil though, Im lost.... I know its either the water pump or block. The car has been using a lot of oil, like low ,low .

anybody have any ideas?

That waterpump has some long bolts in it that go into water. One may go into an oil passage.

I replaced mine a while ago. $24.00 brand new at Autozone. Mine leaked from underneath too, and the replacement was just the quickest solution and it worked.

One thing I did was accidentally pierce the small hose going from the pump to the head - it's about 2" long, and it was a very small cut. It leaked out when stopped, but when it pumped it sprayed like steam. Also the hoses attached to the pump may leak and then cohere to the bottom of the pump and leak at the lowest point.

For the oil -
Touch the back of the head when the engine is cool enough to touch, just reach your hand back there and pat the head, then pull your hand out, if it is now covered in oil, the valve cover gasket is leaking down the back where the engine is the lowest. You may also notice a significant mess on the passenger side all over your oil pump, etc. Basically if your spark plugs are covered in oil, something above them is likely leaking. Your drool tubes may be another culprite if you have them.

Hmm. I just took another look at the water pump and its very dry, its soaked under it near the crank/timing chain/ oilpan and the K frame is soaked

Hmm. I just took another look at the water pump and its very dry, its soaked under it near the crank/timing chain/ oilpan and the K frame is soaked

Yup, so was mine when I bought the car. Likely your transmission is soaked too. Are you using a PCV valve at all?

Scrape the oil off and wipe it down where the head meets the block so you have a fairly clean surface. Take it for a short drive and then see if you see oil on the seam. But definitly also check the back of the head.

I just looked, The bak of the head under the valve cover is dry, spark plugs are dry. oil pump looks brand new, Im stumped

I'm going to take a shot here and suggest that it may be that the timing cover has developed a hole. (the oil)
They can and do rot through

Also, there is a "bleed hole" on the bottom of waterpumps that Coolant comes out of if the waterpump seal is leaking.

This is the only two things I could imagine that would cause oil and water both to be just below the water pump.

AND there certainly should not be both coming out of ANY single place unless it would be from around a pump bolt maybe.

It is quicker to get a pressure tester, fill the radiator with water and pressure test the system. Since it is an external leak it will leak at the problem area. Pressure testers are on the tool loan program at Oreilly's, Advance and AutoZone in my town.

I don't know, I've seen a water pump leak and it just doesn't seem like it, it doesn't just seep, It pours out. The whole oil pan is covered in oil

Ok, so you have a seep at the balancer seal (I thought I was going to see a big mess of fresh oil :))
That oil is a slow leak that is collecting dirt (been like that awhile)

So where is the water coming from?
If you don't have a pressure tester it's going to take some investigation.

Ok^^ what does that mean? does it need a rebuild?

That makes sense because we bought it like that and degreased it and now its back.

I will check on the water.

....I was gonna mention the balancer seal, it is puking oil from there, or how it sounded, the seal itself, however would NOT leak coolant tho....UNLESS there is a stress crack, or a bolt pierces the coolant cavity of the block....No coolant leaks around the head? Intake?, How about the gooseneck? Wait tho, you said the front "upper" area of the block was dry.....From inside the timing chain/water pump cover? Cracked water pump housing, on the lower area?

A seal for that would require dropping the oil pan, and removing the whole pulley set up for the block, and then pulling the front of the crank apart to put in a new seal I do believe.

I will say, engines in the car, this isn't gonna be an easy repair! As you have to remove everything, just to get to it, as its behind the Harmonic balancer, which is the seal that seals that crank bearing, and the main bearing all rolled into one. I haven't done one of these, (Not on a Slant 6 anyway) and definitely not while engine was in the car!

The water/coolant leak sure is stumping! BE SURE to look for block cracks! Could merely be a small crack around one of the oil pan bolts!!!!! Unlikely, sure, but possible somewhere in or around a coolant passage!

The seal is installed from the back side of the cover, and the cover can be removed without dropping the pan.
Might as well do a check of the timing set while you are in there.
You will want to inspect the part of the balancer hub that the seal rides on to make sure it's not grooved so a new seal won't seal.
If it is grooved they make a repair sleeve that slides over the old surface and creates a new surface for the seal to ride on.

No pulling the pan or draining the oil or water needed, but you will probably need a balancer puller.

Might need to drop the coolant, as I am not sure of that on the /6

Well, you pretty much have to pull the rad to pull the dampner. I have a slant in my winter beater. It leaked water at the wp gasket,between the two bolts at the bottom. Easy fix for me. The little jumper hose was rotten too, but not leaking( I replaced it too). Im stumped too, on the coolant plus oil issue. I know on a sbm its possible to screw a too long bolt into the #1 liner, but the slanty pump is off to the side. So....I dunno.Exactly which bolt did you remove that puked the coolant/oil?

-
Back