6 Speed Slant Six

-

cfordyce05

Reaction score
I finally got my adapter plate for a CD009 6 speed manual transmission from a Nissan 350Z machined and did a preliminary fit check today. You can review the full project progression over at slantsix.org in the transmission section. I'm hoping to machine the flywheel this week.
20170610_173236.jpg
20170610_172538.jpg

Wow! What's it going into? Sure beats a three-speed on the column!

Or a 4 speed or even a 5 speed! @cfordyce05 after you've done with the slant, you might consider a conversion for the LA V8! I suspect there might be a lot of V8'ers interest in an economical 6 speed.

Might be cool for a slant but with a 3.74 first gear I don't know how many V8 owners would want those ratios

Might be cool for a slant but with a 3.74 first gear I don't know how many V8 owners would want those ratios
It's going into my 1970 Dart Swinger. It was my first car in highschool. I did the yellow paint job for my senior project. A 12 hour project requirement turned into 350. The car ended up pretty straight but an encounter with some black ice and a ditch means the fenders still need work. Because of that coupled with some rust bubbles coming through from bad prep and I've decided I'm going to strip back to bare metal and do it again after I finish the mechanical upgrades.

I've been slowly gathering parts for it for the last 12 years. Long-term plans include a HX35 turbo, MS3 Pro EFI, Ford 8.8, and 18x9 wheels. I already have the parts, I just want to get the transmission swap done first just in case I have to remove the engine a couple times. I'm about to upgrade the suspension as well with parts from Peter Bergman.

I don't have a V8 to test fit parts on, but I'm taking donations ;). I have been planning to try and adapt to the V8 as well since it should just be a couple bolt pattern changes.

For what it's worth, the 350z has a 6600RPM redline and 3.54 rear gears. I'm personally planning on running a ratio in the high 2.90s to low 3.00s to help load the turbo and counter the low first gear.

20170212_163804.jpg

Interesting. With that low 1st gear and the axle gears you wanted, that could pull even a 28"-29" tire if you wanted. It would kill a 26" off the line

The gear ratios for that trans are very similar to the AX-15 I have behind the 360 in my Duster. 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th in the AX are nearly identical to 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th on the CD009. I'm currently running 3.23s but first gear is nearly useless so I'll be swapping to 2.76s. I believe my rear tire is around 26-26.5"

The gear ratios for that trans are very similar to the AX-15 I have behind the 360 in my Duster. 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th in the AX are nearly identical to 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th on the CD009. I'm currently running 3.23s but first gear is nearly useless so I'll be swapping to 2.76s. I believe my rear tire is around 26-26.5"

Thanks. That's good to know. I was considering 3.23s and I'll have 26" tires as well.

Actually your first gear will be a bit better than mine since my first gear is a 3.83 instead of 3.78.

AX-15

CD009

Actually your first gear will be a bit better than mine since my first gear is a 3.83 instead of 3.78.

AX-15

CD009
How is your cruise rpm with the .79 5th gear?

According to an online calculator it's around 2100-2200 rpm at 65 mph with a 25.66" tire. With 2.76s it'd be down to 1800-1900 rpm

Comments inside the quote

AX-15 ..%split......roadgear with 3.23s
3.83....... nil.......12.37
2.33....... 60........ 7.53
1.44....... 61.8..... 4.65
1.00....... 69.4..... 3.23
0.79....... 79........ 2.55

CD009
3.78....... nil...... 12.21....dragstrip starter
2.32..... 61.4..... 7.49... 2790@30mph,ready to rock
1.62..... 69.8..... 5.23... 1/8m gear, 93@6040(zeroslip)
1.27...... 78.4.... 4.10... 1/4m gear, 120@ 6100 (A/A)
1.00..... 78.7..... 3.23... quiet efficient cruiser@55mph=2200
0.79...... 79.0..... 2.55... 2060@65,sweet. 2700@85,sweeter.

Me likey CD009

Last edited:
@cfordyce05

It's late for me, long day, so if I ask a stupid question, as already answered in the text, sorry, but....

I'm very interested in a few things. 1st up. Marvelous job! I love the ingenuity!

Can you show/tell us about the rear of the trans and how the driveshaft will be worked out?

Mounting the trans was done how? A bit of cutting and welding I would imagine! But seeing it all would be a great help.

Flywheel, clutch and disc. What's the skinny on those?

And now the final BIG one. That adapter plate. WOW! Is the first thing that comes to mind! For sure. Look awesome.

What does that beauty cost?

Now, where are you located? If your reasonably close, a V8 can be long term borrowed from myself. No cost to you if it is possible by myself.

Thanks for your time and sharing of this, well, this eally freaking cool project of yours.

Tantalizing. I have seen some pretty stout /6s. A beefed up /6 with a 6 speed! Will you take me for a ride??

@cfordyce05

It's late for me, long day, so if I ask a stupid question, as already answered in the text, sorry, but....

I'm very interested in a few things. 1st up. Marvelous job! I love the ingenuity!

Can you show/tell us about the rear of the trans and how the driveshaft will be worked out?

Mounting the trans was done how? A bit of cutting and welding I would imagine! But seeing it all would be a great help.

And now the final BIG one. That adapter plate. WOW! Is the first thing that comes to mind! For sure. Look awesome.

Now, where are you located? If your reasonably close, a V8 can be long term borrowed from myself. No cost to you if it is possible by myself.

Thanks for your time and sharing of this, well, this eally freaking cool project of yours.
Here's a link to his thread on .org
I read the whole thing today and he has most of the info in there that you're lookin for I believe.

Slant Six Forum, :: View topic - 350Z CD009 Six Speed Swap

The drive shaft will use a 1310 slip yoke, but I believe up to 1350 is available. One thing to note with this transmission is that there is no speedo output. I'm planning on using the ABS ring in the Ford Explorer 8.8, but you could easily use a bolt on drive shaft speed sensor.

The flywheel is going to be a custom piece that I am hopefully machining this week. It will use a Fidanza friction insert for a 10" clutch. My first test will be a stock 350Z pressure plate and clutch disk because I got them for free and they should hold the HP I'm going to be running anyways. There are tons of aftermarket clutch kits for the Z to hold whatever power level you want.

This is my next major task. I think it should be similar to installing a T56, but I'll find out once I the the transmission under the car. I'm currently trying to find someplace dry that I can get the car leveled and start cutting the floor. I'm hoping to make a everything this for this swap available for sale afterwards. With that in mind, I will be designing a torsion bar crossmember reinforcement and transmission crossmember that can bolt or weld in for other people interested in the swap. I'm tempted to purchase the Hurst Driveline Conversions floor piece so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I have zero transmission tunnel experience, so this phase could be interesting.

I'm not sure yet as I've only been machining the parts as prototypes, which takes a lot longer than setting up for a run of even 5 parts. I would expect that the adapter kit is going to be priced similarly to the ones offered by Wilcap. It will depend on how much people want me to provide vs them making parts for themselves.

I'm located in Gaston, OR 97119. If someone is handy with calipers and a mic and has the back end of an engine available, I may be able to get the dimensions I need that way coupled with a bellhousing bolt pattern drawing found online.

6 speeds is alot of shifting! That plate and flywheel have an art quality to them.....

I have the transmission fitted to the engine and under the car. I have cut the floor and torsion bar cross member out so that the transmission can go all the way up to level. I believe I now need to set the angle of the transmission and build the transmission cross member support, but how do you go about actually setting it? What do you reference from? I know the transmission and rear end angles need to correlate. I am putting a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer behind it so I was planning on setting the rear end's angle to match the transmission after it is in place, but I'm not sure how to set the transmission to start with. I'll post pictures in the next couple days.

-
Back