.60 over 318 stroker?

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
i have a .60 over punched 318, decked with 360 ported and polished heads .. is it still possible to make it a stroker? what would be needed and is it worth it ..id like to keep the 318 because the current build has less then 3K miles on it but theres just not enough power.

i have a .60 over punched 318, decked with 360 ported and polished heads .. is it still possible to make it a stroker? what would be needed and is it worth it ..id like to keep the 318 because the current build has less then 3K miles on it but theres just not enough power.
Are you asking if the additional stress of stroking a .060 over 318 would be too much?

That's a good question, how much stress on the block is created when increasing the stroke?

Increasing stroke increases rod angle,so theres more side load on the bore and piston.Lotsa people doing it. Cant be all bad.

the 4 inch crank cast crank sell for 265.00....the KB pistons are about 380.00, you can reuse your rods....will need new rings due to smaller size (1/16 vs 5/64) plus gaskets...

cost will be somewhere around a grand...but you go from 318 to 390 cu inches....you have to decide if it worth it...

I am going to do a 318 stroker later this year....

stupid question but if its already .60 over ..wouldn't the CI's be bigger then 390? im so confused

60 over with a 4" stroke will give you about 395 ci.

I would be digging out your sonic block measurements (you did get the block sonic checked when you bored it to 60 over ?). As long as you have plenty of material left on the major stroke you should be ok.

My first 318 block had .135 on one cylinder (stock bore) and the concensus here was it was not suitable for a stroker due to the thinness...

Dean.

.60 over is actually a 3.97'' bore with the stock stroke it will be around 332ci to about 333ci (Pi r^2XstrokeX8) Because im trying to build a .60 over 318 with .484 purple cam either a 318 or 273 heads ported, maybe that will ya'll an idea.

-
Back