'63 Dart GT 273 4-speed

-

my7tb

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a barn-find '63 Dart GT. It has a 273 & 4-speed. They appear to be original to the car. The shifter has a white ball with the four speed pattern on it. The owner says only a handfull were made with the 273 & 4-speed. True ?

I think in 63 all Darts were 6 cylinders; the 65 was the first to offer a V8;

Got any pics???. I was under the impression v/8s came in 64 where they made changes in the fire wall????? If the $$$$ is right get it, just might be a great find. Good luck

Moe

Im calling BS. The distributor will hit the non clearanced 63 firewall, and the 4bbl didn't come out until 65. But if its cheap, buy it. Just dont let the old man snow you on a fantasy car.

The 273 came out in mid 1964 and was offered on the 64 dart.

The first 1964 sales brochures for the 1964 Dart didn't even mention the v8 option.

Are you sure it is a 63 ?

Attachments

• 64_Dodge_Engines_Trannys0002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 64_Dodge_Engines_Trannys0003.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 64_Dodge_Index_Secifications0001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 64_Dodge_Index_Secifications0014.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 64_Dodge_Options0008.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 477
  • 64_Dodge_Styling_Models0010.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 64_Dodge_Styling_Models0011.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 440
  • 64_Dodge_Styling_Models0012.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 430
  • 1964 valiant code list page3.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 472
Yes. The car is a '63. I'll have to check it out again, and check for clues as to its originality. . . tags, engine #s, etc. Thanks for the info all.

Sometimes people see a 1963 build date and don't realize they're looking a '64, perhaps that's what's going on here?

If you can squeeze under the car.....look on the driver side of the block under the exhaust manifold. The engine displacement will be there 318, 340, 273, 360 etc.

1964 was the first year for the 273 and the 833 four speed. The 3rd digit in the VIN is the year. If it's a '63 model GT it will start out 743. If it's a '64 GT it will start L44 on an original V8 car or 744 for a 6cyl.

1963's are all 6 cyl and have different fire wall and center link from 64 's which were available with v8

In addition to the info here about the firewall and /6 options, it's my understanding that 63's only came with the push button or 3 on the tree option.

There is a 63 GT in the local yard here. It was a slant six car with push
button auto. has bucket seats. Yard was going to crush the poor thing
did manage to save it after they tipped it on its side and extricated the aluminum trans for scrap. It's here and available for parts or whole, if anyone wants it. Still has complete suspension and rear end, can mount balonies on a supply of SBP wheels i have saved. Fairly rough, but not a rot box underneath. Have pics. Dave las cruces nm.

Any chance you can pick up the drivers side door trim piece if it is there?

I took a look at the car today. Up 'til now, the owner told me that it was a '63. I saw it only a couple times in the past, when I didn't know was I was looking at. It's actually a '64 GT with a 273 & Hurst 4-speed. It's rough, but all original. White, with black interior. Galen Govier knows of the car. The owner is a relative of his. Galen says it's a rare-optioned car. It's a diamond in the rough, and would be a nice car when restored. We haven't talked about the price yet.

Nice pics of the 4-speed shifter in the 270 conv. The one I looked at had a square trim & boot. Most-likely not original. The wheels didn't have covers. The owner said that it had dogdish caps. Anyone know if '64 Darts had this option ?

I believe that the correct boot is round not oval and certainly not square.

Dog dish hub caps I think were standard on the 170.

You can find hub caps or dishes fairly easily.

There is a 63 GT in the local yard here. It was a slant six car with push
button auto. has bucket seats. Yard was going to crush the poor thing
did manage to save it after they tipped it on its side and extricated the aluminum trans for scrap. It's here and available for parts or whole, if anyone wants it. Still has complete suspension and rear end, can mount balonies on a supply of SBP wheels i have saved. Fairly rough, but not a rot box underneath. Have pics. Dave las cruces nm.
hey Dave, responding to an old post about the 63 in yard. Know it's been a couple of years but what is the status today?

-
Back