64 Barracuda 273 - Speedometer Pinion Seal

-

djf5502

Reaction score
My 1964 Barracuda 273 has a transmission fluid leak where the speedometer cable goes into the transmission. I've read on the forums that there are two seals in there that are the likely cause. I'm having problems finding the replacement seals. Can I buy the seals alone? Need to buy them as part of a new speedo cable? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

206-365-1966 Pat Blais Transmissions is the guy for the early 904 and 727s. He'll have the special seal and any other tranny part you might need.

There is 2, a large one and the forgotton O ring in the cable receiver. trans shop will have them, but so will a decent hardware store. just bring it in and go to the O ring wall.

The o ring on the cable housing can be found at Ace hardware for about a buck. I haven't changed the smaller o ring in the speedo gear yet, but It is much smaller. If u find a good source let us know.

Thanks guys. This gets me heading in the right direction. I'll let you know how it comes out.

My transmission has been leaking for years at the speedometer cable. My local mechanic did not know how to fix this. Mine is of course the pushbutton type. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how to replace these gaskets. Or, does anyone have a diagram to aid me?

Not sure if the normal speedometer is same as a 66, but this o-ring fit mine and doesn't leak at all.

Attachments

• 20141108_125225.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 189
Here s a pic of the speedometer cable end with the seal and O ring.

Attachments

• speedometer cable.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 180
Thank you Keith! That really clears things up! I decided to order from Pat Blais. I want to make sure that this problem is resolved permanently. I am surprised that my mechanic was not familiar with this. They work on these cars all the time at this particular garage. Sometimes you see 6 or more old mopars in the lot. I am going to do this one myself and I will inform him about the repair when I return for annual inspection.

66 and up is a different design speedo gear setup. Probably haven't seen many of ours that are older.

Yes, that is probably why. the seal kit worked like a charm. My wife placed cardboard under the car for 4 days, and kept checking for leaks. I am sure it was the inner seal that was bad because this was a fairly new cable. However, I replaced both seals for good measure. This pretty much eliminates any mechanical issues with this car. I will have to decide within a year or 2 to keep the car and pay for the minor body work. Or, sell as is and look for another car. I would like a v-8 car.

-
Back