'64 Barracuda trans/shift lines question?

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
New to the forum, so please be nice!

I am working on restoring a 64 Barracuda. I am having some trans fluid leaks. I think I have located one, being the trans cooler line. While searching for the leaks, I noticed that the shift linkage cable and the park cable had been exposed. I didn't think these lines carried fluid, so I just sliced some rubber hose and zip tied them over the exposed sections to protect them until I could come up with the $ to replace them. A few days later, I had a puddle of trans fluid on my garage floor. The leaking has continued and I never touched the trans cooler lines. The car is not running, so I am pretty sure it isn't leaking from there.

Am I correct in saying that the shift linkage and park linkage lines don't carry fluid? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Open out a cardboard box and put under it. Mark a line under the bellhousing, a square under the pan, and a line by the rear output shaft seal. Put a jack stand or something on it so it doesn't move. Come back in a day or so and see where on the cardboard the spots are. This will help indetermining what the problem is. Since its a 64 model, the tranny cooler lines were made by the Roman slaves and are probably brittle and seeping. May have had sections replaced with rubber hose, or who knows what. Pan gasket may be leaking. Output shaft seal, front seal, a multitude of places for a leak to occur.

Larry

I know, that is why I thought I could get away w/ just patching them. Any idea why just moving them to put the patch pieces on would cause them to start leaking? Is there somewhere else I should be checking for leaks?

Thanks, Larry! I have gone through about 3 cardboard boxes already in about 2.5 weeks. I will put a fresh one under there tomorrow and try to keep track. I think it is dropping on the exhaust pipes and thus making it hard to pinpoint after it has fallen. But I will give it a shot!

Cut a piece of cardboard and use some wire and wire it on top of the pipe. Wait a day or so then rotate the cardboard down so you can see the spots. Leaks are a real pain especially when there is a lot of places where they could be.....

Larry

I got some time tonight to get under the car. I cleaned up the leaky lines and sprayed down the exhaust pipes. Gave a couple extra turns to the trans cooler line and put a new piece of cardboard down. Now we wait! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Am I correct in saying that the shift linkage and park linkage lines don't carry fluid? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

no - both carry oil - i knew this - coz i have/had the same issues espec. with the shift linkage cable.

imy first solution was to add some silicon (rtv) on the surface and slip a shrinking (by making it hot) rubber hose over it. i´ve done this about 1 and a half year ago, and it´s still dry till today.

although don´t forget to have a look at the speedo-gear-cable, it could also leak if the seal there is weak.

Have you checked the shift selector shaft bushing? i chased tons of leaks on my transmission (65 w/ 904 auto) and it turned out to be this bushing!
It is where the throttle kick down goes into the transmission...fluid would drip down on my trans cooler lines
If i recall they run about 2 dollars.

So now I am confused. I have gotten different answers from people in this forum as well. Do the shift/park linkages really carry fluid? If they do, then the only course of action is to replace them.

I am pretty sure the speedo cable has some issues as well because the previous owner gunked a bunch of black silicon where the cable goes into the trans. But when I cleaned the line off it didn't look like it was seeping from there. Is it possible that if the cable was lower than the point where it went in the trans, that gravity would have pulled to fluid to the cracked spot in the line, through the cable itself?

Still having leaking issues from the cable that goes in the very back of the transmission. Am I wrong in saying this is the speedo cable? Can't figure out what is still leaking. I have tightened down the trans cooler line and that has stopped leaking.

Any ideas?

Could be the o-ring that goes around where the gear goes into the tailshaft or it could be the inner lining of the cable is worn and its leaking right where the cable joins the end. I think you can still get the OEM replacement cables thru MOPAR. At least for the 67 and up. Don't know how yours hooks to the speedo in the dash.

Larry

If it is still leaking that much fluid, I am guessing it is only going to get worse once I get the car running and build some pressure? Just trying to decide if I should pull the whole thing apart while I have it in the air, or leave it for now and get the thing on the ground and running?

If the car sits for long periods of time, the torque converter sends the fluid back into the trans pan area and overfills the transmission, which results in leaking fluid just as you describe...in puddles...which are hard to track down.

If you have old brittle seals, which are the most common thing to go over time, then the trans will leak at the shifter selector which i mentioned a few posts above (which is where the kickdown/throttle cable go into the transmission, driver side, right above those cooler lines)

1...check your fluid level in neutral on a level surface with the car running
Is it full, overfull, normal, low, etc
2. Get some gaskets...tail shaft seal, trans pan seal even the little tiny seal that goes inside the speedo housing (which is that cable going to the back of your trans), as well as the shifter selector seal and a new speedo seal (there are two seals for the speedo housing)
3. Make sure your trans pan is torqued correctly, as over-torqued pans are common (which people do to stop leaks which bends the pan)

I chased leaks for many moons on my 65 valiant, so i replaced all these seals i mentioned above and not a drop emits from my trans to this day!

One of my cables was not secured after a shop rebuilt my transmission, and the exhaust burned through the coating. It leaked tranny fluid pretty badly.

I used fuel line and some sort of silicone sealant/gasket maker, and zip ties to hold the fuel line in place. I did this in 1995. Drove the car until the wreck in 1998. It has sat in place (full of ATF) since then. Not a drop has spilled since I patched the cable jackets with the fuel hose.

65Valiat310, you wouldn't happen to remember any of those part #s for all of those seals? Or do you know where I can find a diagram of them? Will make it easier for me to go to the parts store and try to order. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Sorry for the late reply,

This is the one that is about 1 inch in diameter and goes where your shifter shaft dips into the trans
Ordered from napa

Item: A/Trans Seal, Man Control Lever Shaft (Metal Clad)
Product Number: ATP14582
Quantity: 1
Price: 1.69
Here is a link to what it looks like
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...+Seal,+Manual+Control+Lever+Shaft+(Metal+Clad)

And this is the little tiny one that goes in the shift selector shaft itself

ATP Part # TO29 More Info {Throttle Lever Shaft #2466548}
A-904 (30RH), A998 (31RH), A999 (32RH); Throttle Lever Shaft
A727 (36RH, 37RH); Throttle Valve Lever Shaft
$.46 from rockauto

I think I have one extra of each but im not sure,
Also check your seal on your dipstick...its a little o-ring that dries out over times as well

I have a 65 and have 2 cables that look identical.The one that goes to the "back" of the transmission in it's own litle cover is the PARK cable. The one the goes to the front and sits stupidly close to the exaust with the "wheel" adjuster on it is the SHIFT cable. Both carry fluid as far as i could tell, and both of mine leaked. I broke down and bought new cable$$$. (set me back months.) Never messed with the speedo cable though. I made sure to tie the cables away from hot and/or moving parts after that. There sem to be LOTS of places for these to leak.

Still having leaking issues from the cable that goes in the very back of the transmission. Am I wrong in saying this is the speedo cable? Can't figure out what is still leaking. I have tightened down the trans cooler line and that has stopped leaking.

Any ideas?

hello moparist overseas and in germany.

my speedo cable from my 65 barracuda is also leaking. i pulled the cable out REMOVED the drive gear but could not find the small seal. only the o-ring at the plug. i loose a lot of trans fluid daily :-( no idea how this seal looks like or where to get it..

need some help

hello moparist overseas and in germany.

my speedo cable from my 65 barracuda is also leaking. i pulled the cable out REMOVED the drive gear but could not find the small seal. only the o-ring at the plug. i loose a lot of trans fluid daily :-( no idea how this seal looks like or where to get it..

need some help
I have all three cables on Auto -cuda trans- Leaking--
Cables are = to big dollars-
Think i may Bypass Tran pressure? ideas?
mine Drill housing at low poin fit 3/8 outlet and tee into cooler line? relieve pressure to low point.
:newb:

-
Back