64 Dart 5.7 hemi update thread.

-
looking good,,good idea that 2x4....cant wait to see the newer rad support installed
as for cutting shapes out of metal,, go to WOODWARD-FAB.com,,these guys are car guys from detroit,,they make and sell metal fabing tools for the home shop,,reasonably priced and nice guys to deal with,,,

I went with your adive on the board, thanks. Also thanks for the site.

well, got the 64 rad support out and set the 66 rad support inplace. I got some cleaning/sanding to do before i weld it in place, and even before that im gonna practice on my scrap metal piece before even touch my car. I need to pick up a grinfer today, and i think i might use some paint remover for those hard to reach places. Ill post again when ive got this thing welding into place.

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

OK, some progress. As you can see in the first pic i got the lower rad support off and im gonna try to get the top section tomarrow. The second pic is a pic of the area i dented in so that the valvecovers could be taken off without lifting the motor up. My aircompressor is too whimpy to run any air tools, so im gonna have to buy an electric grinder. I gotta looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnng way to go.
The spot weld cutter works awsome. highly recommended.
Im gonna have to get some sheet metal sometime down the road to fill in those shock mount holes, whats the best tool/way to cut shapes from sheet metal?

I like using a fine toothed jigsaw or a scroll saw works really nice for small pieces.

Loooking really good. I dig this thread just to see all the modification possibilities. Keep it up.

I use a harbor freight grinder and it works perfect. I could have spent more money but I beat the sh*t outta this thing and it was only $20. Still going strong after 2 years.

Thanks. This is the first time ive ever taken on anything this big before. Even though i got a long way to go, im having fun doing it. Right now im having a debate with myself on using the durango air intake box. I like the fact that it would look factory-ish and i like the idea that colder air would be taken from just behind the front grille and then right on up into my engine intake box. That said, im wondering if itll turn out the way i want it.
If i dont use the airbox, ill either have a filter comming right out of the engine intake box or have a tube with an elbow and have it turn down close to the radiator. Obviously these latter two options are way easier, but less....interesting?
The air box in the pics looks abit naked hangin out all by itself, but when everythings in the enginebay, including the engine, radiator, washerfliud bottle, battery (if itll fit), and ECM, things will look nice and crowed, so the intake box wont look..out thier all by itself.
Ive got awhile before i have to decide on the air intake box though.

durangotubesml.jpg

enginetopview.jpg

enginefront.jpg

This might be a dumb question, but I've never seen a late model Hemi (uses an EFI of some sort) without an airbox attached; can a person use a regular hot rod type round air cleaner ? Thanks . :dontknow:

Actually yes, if you go with the crate hemi from Mopar, the throttle body sits atop an intake manifold and you can use a round air cleaner. Also check out xv motor sports, they have one aswell. The reason why you dont see many of them is becuase most efi (5.7 and 6.1s) hemis you see in cars at shows are pulled from wrecked cars and trucks, or stock replacements. You can get Mopar intakes or XV motorssports intakes, but the whole set up from mopar is $4000 which includes intake, computer, injectors and such, but no engine. You can get the whole setup, engine also for about $7000 from mopar. Abit pricier then a stock replacement or pulled engine, but you get everything you need.
One of my ideas was to get an intake setup like the crate engines, and paint it red like a 273, valvecovers and all and put a black factory aircleaner on top so that it would kinda like an older engine.

dodgenut, i like the apperance of the stock air box in the corner,,loos great.
its a tighe engine bay as you are finding out by now,,,hope you have room for an over flow bottle with that air box

Thanks. The one thing ive noticed about the cone style airfilters is, they try and put them behind a shield of some sorts, i guess to try and block heat from the engine and to get colder air? By using this factory airbox, not only would i get cold air directly from the front of my car, but the filter box itself would act as a heat shield, so that the air going into the air box and into the engine would not be mixed with the hotter air in the enginebay.
I guess ill go with the factory air box idea, but im gonna have to think about getting the area ill be cutting out to look good.
As far as a overflow bottle, im still looking for one i like. Theres a few places i can put one. Between the rad support and the grille, on the top of the passengerside fenderwell or driverside. Some overflow bottles lay flat and some stand tall, not sure if the flat ones ive been looking at will fit under the hood yet.
I gotta buy a dremel tool to get at the nooks and crannies in the enginebay, once i get the enginebay cleaned up, ill weld in the rad support. That said i still want to drop the radiator about a half inch if possible, so ill have to midify the lower rad support somehow. I have a few ideas on how to do that, but i gotta while to decide on how to accomplish that.

you may want to look at the aluminum over flow bottles ,,try a speed way catolog, a lot of roundy round guys use different shaped aluminum bottles,,

Thanks guys. heres a pic of the progress i made over the weekend (plus the work from earlier). Ive got from the cowel down done, but i need my dremel tool to get all the nooks and grannies.

I think i might sit the hemi back in and see how my modified areas look/work. Should be alot easier to get in with the rad support out.

After i weld the rad support back in, im gonna take the alterktion back out for awhile so i can start the great task of cleaning up the underside of the car.

Also, do you guys think it would be ok to open up the eye holes on the motor mounts abit to make installation easier? Last time i had trouble getting everything lined up perfectly. I was just wondering if drilling alittle bit bigger hole in one or two if the places would hurt. not all of the holes, just were im having trouble getting it to line up.

sml1.jpg

Well i got the upper radiator support welded in. Im still going over some of the spots with the grinder and then still filling in some of the little holes again with the welder. Im gonna pick up some primer today on the way to work so i can hit the spots ive grinded on with some paint. Ill take some pics later this week. Everything went ok, i had a few trouble spots where my weld wasnt welding to the car (down were the rad support touchs the frame rails, where the metal is ticker), my guess is my power was set a little too low. I still gotta redo that area. Anyway not to bad for my first time.

Well i filled in some more small holes today, im sure ill have to go back over a few other little spots, but im almost done with the welding part of the upper rad support. in some of the pics youll see where ill need to trim the opening alittle so that the 97 radiator will fit up against the support. I still gotta figure out what im gonna do about the lower support. I might be able to cut and bend the 66 lower support to get the drop i need. I bought a 97 upper rad support off a grand cherokee to see if i can incorperate it into holding the top of the radiator and hide the radiators bare topless look.
One of the pics is of a dip in the firewall. I was wondering if i could cut that out and just make it flat or did the factory put it in there for strength like the dips in the floor pans? I was wondering because the 67 heater and a/c unit i bought doesnt have the indention to fit this little dip inside of it, making it flat may fix that problem. Maybe i could modify the heater unit to accomidate the dip?
Well its progress. Still got a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, but getting the radiator support in and the fitting in the 97 radiator is one of my big boxs to check off, so when its done i can get the pencil out.

100_3353.JPG

100_3359.JPG

100_3352.JPG

100_3356.JPG

100_3358.JPG

100_3360.JPG

your work is awesome!

keep up the great work and thanks for posting pics of the progress!

Jeff

Thanks man, the rad support is my first big project with the welder. I cant wait to get into cutting up the polara dash to fit my car, but i have a few more things on the car i think i should tackle before the dash.

Well started making room for the grand cherokee radiator. I have a question though, if the back of my radiator is touching the radiator support, it doesnt sit square to the frame, is it supposed to? Look at the measurement i took, its off by a half inch. If its supposed to be square to the frame, then why did the factory make one side of the rad support wider then the other? What did i miss?

97rad.jpg

97rad2.jpg

97rad3.jpg

97rad4.jpg

97rad5.jpg

Mine was the same way. I just had the aluminum tab welded on so that it was square to the radiator support. Looks great man.

Cool, thanks. When i first saw it, i was abit dissapointed that it wasnt going to turn out as nice as i had hoped. I think what im gonna do is cut and attach a piece of the 64s orginal upper support so that its equal on both sides.
I also just rolled under the car to see how much clearance ill have for my filler neck. With the cap on i have a fingers thickness of space from the top of the cap to the hood, and while holding the lower radiator support under the actual radiator, it looks like all ill have to do is drill two holes so that the two plastic prongs on the the bottom of the 97 cherokee radiator will set on top of the lower radiator itself. If i take a quater of an inch off the prongs the radiator could set that much lower. That should save me some work, i thought i was gonna have to modify the lower support by dropping it some so that the radiator would sit low enough for the radiator filler neck to have good enough clearance from the hood. Now it seems i wont have to do that.
I wonder though, this 97 radiator has two places up high to put bolts through, and i assume most of the wieght of the radiator will be held up by these two bolts. The bottom of the radiator has the two prongs, which will kinda sit on the lower radiator support, but with the two upper bolts in, the radiator shouldnt be really sitting on the lower support should it? It seems to me those prongs on the bottom of the radiator are just to prevent the radiator from sliding forward, even though i cant see this happening with the two upper bolts in place. Does any of this make sense?

OK, i got both grooves cut today so the radiator can sit in between the frame centered now. The first two pics are of the grooves i cut out. Then i took some pics of the prongs on the bottom of the radiator and you can see about where they will got through the lower support. I also took a pic of the front of the car so you could see that the lower support is at the position
it will be welded in at.
I do have a concern. My hemi didnt come with a water pump so im not sure if the hose will clear the Alterktions frame as you can see in the second pic. Does anyone have a 5.7 hemi Ram they can look into and see how the hose bends from the pump to the radiator? I guess if it doesnt bend the way i need it to i can look around for something else.

dsidecutout.jpg

psidecutout.jpg

frontviewprong.jpg

lowersupportprong.jpg

frontview.jpg

-
Back