65 A body transmission?

-
Yes the 1965 B body 727's were cable shift slip yoke. I've heard of 65 B-bodys that havw the slant 6 & had a 904 that were slip yoke cable shifted 904. I've been looken for one of those gems! Becouse all the output shaft guts will swap into my 65 smallblock case & presto! Cable shift slip yoke 904!

i'm piecing together several e arly A ca

rs, some slants and a couple 273 cars. I have word of a cable slip yoke SB 904. that I would put in my 64 dart. i'm told the owner doesn't know the condition and at $150 that's pretty steep for around here.. usually aren't worth s quat!

another question. is it possible to replace the output shaft in the cableshift tranny with a slip yoke output out of a later 904????? I have a 64 tranny where the end of the output had snaped off ( being drug around a boneyard).

thanks

No you cannot do that swap. for one the later (66-up) 904 with the slip yoke don't have the rear pump any more. The speedo cable/driven gear & housing is completely diffrent as well. Also the output shaft splines are one tooth off (less) in the 65 904's. i tryed to swap in the wide raito planetry gear set when i overhauled my 65 904 bur the splines are one tooth less. keep a look out for 65 B-body 904 with the slant 6 it should be slip yoke cable shifted! Also there is no way to get a parking rod onto the 65 valvebody to make park work eather. The 65's had a separate cable for the parking pawl/rod. Whereas the 66-up had it all internally.

Best bet my friend is to keep an eye out for a 65 B body with a slant 6 that is an automatic. It should be a slip yoke 904. If you want to keep the cable shift style tranny.

I have never seen or heard of a cable shift slip yoke 904. 65 big block 727 had a slip yoke, but I think that's the only torqueflite that had that configuration. I'd just get a regular 904 or 999, and find the linkage from a 66 column shift A body. Floor shift stuff would be even easier. WhitepunkonNitro had the column shift stuff for sale on here a while back. Good luck.

They are rare but only 65 slant 6 B body. my buddy's 65 coronet has a poly 318 with a smallblock 727 slip yoke cable shifted.

I have an assortment of early A cars, slants and SB I;m piecing back together. my plan is to place the trunnion shaft on the slant cars. get the SB cars runnings, ( with the 7 1/4 rears and the trunnion shaft and later change the SB cars over to the conversion driveshaft.

the only tranny I need is a SB 904. several members have responded with some, out of various cars, 64, 65 , one is a columne shift. QUESTION: are the cables for the column shift the same as the pushbutton type??? I have an extra set of cables but one is somewhat frayed but probably usable. around here, these cable trannys are worth very little if any , the cables are worth more. but if a person needs one, then it takes on a different value!
I get different opinions as to if the 65 A body had a slip yoke... the SB A body tranny would be a short tailshaft version for sure.. not sure if a long tailshaft tranny would work in the 64 dart without cutting the tunnel???

The 65 A body 904 was ball & trunion. 66-up A body 904 slip yoke. as far as the cable's swapping idk for sure but would doubt it. i have a set of cables from a 63 dodge 880 that have the same ends as my cables in my 65 GT but they are longer then mine (floor shift) I also don't know of any short or long shaft 904's eather??? There was some shorties in the 727's (mainly in certion trucks) early or late 904 will fit in the trans tunnel with no mods to the floor or X-member. Overall lenght between early flange & slip yoke trannys should be very close!

My 65 C-body is a big-block cable-shift w/ slip yoke (1 yr only), but is longer than SB and won't bolt to the block either.

I think your only option for a slip yoke is to have a custom drive-shaft made w/ an integral slip section. There are posts here w/ photos. Isn't terribly expensive (~$300). This approach was begun by Jeep guys who also have the ball & trunion drive-shaft (77-78 Cherokee if I recall).

the question of the slip yoke came up because I got wind of what is supposed to be a S B 904, with slip yoke AND cables. I got the owners phone no. and will call him tonite to see what the heck.
like you guys say, it will probably not be this set up. I mainly need a SB 904 cable tranny! can't afford to have one shipped from 500- 1000 mi away, several members have some but , round here IF..... I find one, they are like free to $150 tops with cables!!!!

There is a B body smallblock slip joint, cable shifted trans also! I bought one from a 65 Coronet that was tipped up on its side in the junkyard! Just walked by it, boom, staring me in the face! It was a 273 car! I took the tail shaft off and installed it in my old Belvedere with a big block pushbutton TF!

cosgig,
Great info. The source would have to be a 65 B-body. I don't think any 1965 C-bodies came w/ a small block. My 65 Newport was the bare bones model and came w/ a 383 big-block (different bolt pattern to tranny and starter location). Higher-end cars had an RB "raised-block" (413).

I'm pretty sure the 65 B-body small block cars with a cable shifted, slip yoke transmission.....are 727 transmissions. Why else would the tailshaft unbolt off that transmission, and bolt up to a big block 727? My old 64 Belvedere wagon came with a 318 Poly motor, and a pushbutton small block 727. I'll have to see a 65 904 with factory. cable shift and a slip yoke before I believe it.

barbee,
No all A-Bodies were ball and grunion. Now the 64 and 65 transmissions were the same, just the cables were different lengths.

Do you have a bone stock car? If not I would go with a 66 and up 904 and put in an Imperial Services conversion kit on your shifter, this will enable you to keep the stock shifter and go with a single cable, like B&M and Lokar.......

cosgig,
Great info. The source would have to be a 65 B-body. I don't think any 1965 C-bodies came w/ a small block. My 65 Newport was the bare bones model and came w/ a 383 big-block (different bolt pattern to tranny and starter location). Higher-end cars had an RB "raised-block" (413).

I was out today hunting a few parts, meet some mopar guys I didn't know and saw some amazing things ( to me!).

talking about 65 C bodies, I saw a 65 Fury wagon , survivor, it is a 225 slant, col cable shift.

I'm currently working on a deal to bring home a 65 Coronet parts car with a 273 drivetrain, and yes, the trans is still in it!! :)

I'm currently working on a deal to bring home a 65 Coronet parts car with a 273 drivetrain, and yes, the trans is still in it!! :)

i'm still looking for info as to the fit of the 727 in the early A cars, 64 dart for specific???????

I've had tons of B bodies over the years, mainly 68-70 cars, but my favorite is the 64 savoy 2 door post and the 65 coronet. gonna get another but I'm either out of room or $$$. ( actually just $$$ LOL!).

Cosig.......when you drag it in, post a pic of the tranny from the bottom if you can. If it's bone stock, and ain't been messed with...I'll bet it's a small block 727 since it's in a B-body car.

I know, and EARLY A-bodies never came with a 727. 65 B-body cars MAY have come from the factory with a 273, and a cable shifted 727......but I've never seen one. Don't mean there's no such thing, just means I might get to see something new to me at 57 years old....lol. I really don't think there's such a thing as a 65 small block 904 that's cable shifted AND has a slip yoke tailshaft. What kind of shifter does the car have, that you want to put a slip yoke 904 in? Column shift, or floor shift?

I know, and EARLY A-bodies never came with a 727. 65 B-body cars MAY have come from the factory with a 273, and a cable shifted 727......but I've never seen one. Don't mean there's no such thing, just means I might get to see something new to me at 57 years old....lol. I really don't think there's such a thing as a 65 small block 904 that's cable shifted AND has a slip yoke tailshaft. What kind of shifter does the car have, that you want to put a slip yoke 904 in? Column shift, or floor shift?

Road trip yesterday. the guy that thought he had the SB cable job with the slip yoke turns out to be NOT! he had to DIG it out of bunch of parts, but that's OK. what he did have was 727 cable shift LONG tailshaft trunnion deal! for B body I assume..
I tranny I need is for a 64 dart pushbutton. I HAD a correct one found.., but while by buddy that has the bone car, was draggin it backwards out of the wet to drier ground, the D S was loose and it caught some ground and SNAPPED off the end of the output at the trunnion hub!!! ( crap!!???)

I have to wonder how the 727 would fit in the 64 tunnel????? i'm sure peopke on her have done or tried such. also looks like the long tailshaft would be a problem in the tunnel.

I found a member here correct SB cable trans, wrong cables,,, ( rebuilt with 2000 mi on it) but investment in it with trucking isn't so cheap. around here these trannys are like slant motors, not worth much, when you find them, the cables are worth more than the tranny!! LOL

You can fit a regular 727 small block tranny in an early A, but you must hammer a lip in the tranny tunnel over to clear. I don't know about a long 727 (35" L as I recall in my C-body BB), I would worry that the mount won't be in the right place.

727 SB cable-shift trannies show up occasionally. I bought one for $100 at a swap meet. Before that, I considered another on craigslist for $100. Since, I read that a 904 is better since more efficient and can be built to survive any SB engine, and no need to massage the car to fit. Still, nice to have as a backup (in my shed). Doesn't help you since shipping is $$$.

-
Back