65 Barracuda 187 code!!!

-
I got the wiring finished the other day. Looking at a wiring diagram earlier and making sure I was careful, I was able to remove a TON of wiring. Horn relay and wiring is gone, so is the ballast resistor wires and all but one coil wire. The one coil wire I left will be the 12V for the HEI distributor I got :supz:

I'm still waiting for my crankshaft and rods from my machine shop :wack: But he did call me and said the crank had to be cut .010" on the main bearings and rod bearings. While I'm waiting, I got the engine bay cleaned, sanded down, and painted with flat black. I'm like my friend Clayton Watts with the 75 Dart Sport. Flat looks clean and simple, and when the 440 down the road is ready to be put in, the engine bay will be done the correct way!

First pic is what it looked like before, second pic is after the aircraft stripper did its job, and the final engine picture is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• 04.09.2014(01).JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 04.09.2014(02).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 234
  • 04.09.2014(03).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 04.09.2014(04).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 212
It's officially official I think. I'm literally waiting on the crankshaft and connecting rods now. I got my last box of parts from Summit Racing in the mail. In the smaller boxes, I have a complete set of hydraulic lifters, the correct size main bearings and rod bearings, and the driver side and passenger side motor mounts. I also got a high torque starter from a 98 Dodge Dakota RT for only $100! Same exact one as my old one.

Here's a random shot I found of what my wiring looks like under the driver side fender. The starter relay is mounted in the same location, just back farther. What do you guys think?

Whats also not pictured that I got a while ago is the Lokar mounting bracket for the throttle and kickdown cable, a new Sealed Power oil pump, and a new water pump.

Attachments

• 04.09.2014(09).JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 04.09.2014(05).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 04.09.2014(06).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 04.09.2014(07).JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 04.09.2014(08).JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 221
Ive been tossing around the idea of an engine bay wire tuck as well. Less clutter which showcases the motor. I would recommend some heat shrink on those butt connectors

Ive been tossing around the idea of an engine bay wire tuck as well. Less clutter which showcases the motor. I would recommend some heat shrink on those butt connectors

You know I was thinking of heat shrinking everything, but it's only temporary. In a short while I'll have a painless wiring harness in and everything will be done and brand new

I got a call from my machinist. Crank and rods will be done Wednesday. So the motor will be built wednesday evening, and motor will be dropped in next Saturday. Right now I'm working on getting all the engine accessories painted and cleaned up.

Turns out I'm not going to be able to borrow my Uncle's welder since he's working so much :tongue2: So I did some metal work of my own for the time being. I widened the radiator support area to house my larger aluminum radiator. This will pus the radiator back slightly so I'm hoping now my fan will fit where it's supposed to. But I won't know for sure until I get the motor in net saturday.

Attachments

• 04.12.2014(02).JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 04.12.2014(01).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 04.12.2014(04).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 194
  • 04.12.2014(03).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 04.12.2014(06).JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 04.12.2014(05).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 04.12.2014(07).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 208
hey rockin duey, you are doing a credible job so far and i am liking the progress. one question though, the engine compartment is flat black. that is way too chevrolet. it needs to be the colour of the body. it will show off the engine so much better and it is not too late since the motor is not in yet. just my 2 cents.

hey rockin duey, you are doing a credible job so far and i am liking the progress. one question though, the engine compartment is flat black. that is way too chevrolet. it needs to be the colour of the body. it will show off the engine so much better and it is not too late since the motor is not in yet. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input man I appreciate it! As for right now, the plan is to have the engine compartment the color of the car, which I haven't decided on yet lol. But flat black works just for a quick fix to make it look a little cleaner. I still have a plan to put a 440 in, so once I'm at that point, I'll have the engine compartment done correctly and painted. Thinking viper blue.....:burnout:

Let me get everyone up to speed. I got the crank and rods back and assembled it a few nights ago. I started to install the motor this evening and everything fought me today. I had to pull the motor back out because I forgot to install the flexplate. Then it started getting dark, I think I broke my knuckle, and all I got done was set the motor down in the engine bay and put some transmission screws in place. The distributor fit fine. But the fan is another issue... Even after I set the radiator back deeper, I still need about another 1 1/2" so I need to finish that as well :mumum:

Attachments

• 04.19.2014(02).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 04.19.2014(05).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 04.19.2014(04).JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 04.19.2014(03).JPG
    117 KB · Views: 174
  • 04.19.2014(01).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 171
Man, I could have told you about the fan not fitting. try and make it a pusher and mount it on the front of the rad and put the trans cooler behind it. Not the best but itll fit. May need to mod the hood latch support. Forget the 440, been there: not worth it. The 273 logs are going to stifle your 360 cam. I got a set of fenderwell headers for that car, PM me. There will be cutting involved.....You have done more to that car than I have in 20 years of ownership. Rock on!

Let me get everyone up to speed. I got the crank and rods back and assembled it a few nights ago. I started to install the motor this evening and everything fought me today. I had to pull the motor back out because I forgot to install the flexplate. Then it started getting dark, I think I broke my knuckle, and all I got done was set the motor down in the engine bay and put some transmission screws in place. The distributor fit fine. But the fan is another issue... Even after I set the radiator back deeper, I still need about another 1 1/2" so I need to finish that as well :mumum:

A bad day in the garage is better then a good day at work,,,, u will get there,,,

Man, I could have told you about the fan not fitting. try and make it a pusher and mount it on the front of the rad and put the trans cooler behind it. Not the best but itll fit. May need to mod the hood latch support. Forget the 440, been there: not worth it. The 273 logs are going to stifle your 360 cam. I got a set of fenderwell headers for that car, PM me. There will be cutting involved.....You have done more to that car than I have in 20 years of ownership. Rock on!

PM replied :cheese:

A bad day in the garage is better then a good day at work,,,, u will get there,,,

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys. I'm doing this car up all on my own and I'm trying to do it right

I got the motor in and everything bolted up. I still need to wire it, bend new tranny line, and install the extra little things. I'll grab some pics later

Today went very smooth surprisingly. I got everything done except for bending the new transmission lines. Unfortunately... for some reason the starter will not engage when the key turns. You can manually turn the starter over by touching the two posts on the relay, but all that happens when you turn the key is a "click" comes out of the voltage regulator. I'm going to look at it on my next day off.... But I have a feeling I'm going to be looking into a Painless Wiring setup, which I have heard is not so painless...

Attachments

• 04.20.2014(01).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 04.20.2014(03).JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 04.20.2014(02).JPG
    111 KB · Views: 175
Well I just realized that I forgot to hook up my front and back engine to body ground straps :/ I hope that's why my starter wouldn't turn over.... I went out and got 2 new Taylor braided ground straps to keep the motor compartment looking nice. I won't have any time until Wednesday to put them on and see how it works

Today went very smooth surprisingly. I got everything done except for bending the new transmission lines. Unfortunately... for some reason the starter will not engage when the key turns. You can manually turn the starter over by touching the two posts on the relay, but all that happens when you turn the key is a "click" comes out of the voltage regulator. I'm going to look at it on my next day off.... But I have a feeling I'm going to be looking into a Painless Wiring setup, which I have heard is not so painless...

looks ike there is plenty of room for a mechical fan,,,l

looks ike there is plenty of room for a mechical fan,,,l

Im sure there is. But I want an electrical fan. Future plans for the car will have a switch panel where the heater and ac controls are. The water pump, fan, ignition, and stereo will be all on a switch. Obviously that's not why I'm putting an electric fan

This car is going to put up a fight till the end I just know it. I got so stumped with the wiring, I had my
Uncle come over who does electrical for a living. Everything was wired right. We pulled down the ignition switch in the car, and IRONICALLY that had lost a good connection.... :banghead: we cleaned the posts, wiggled the wiring around on it, and the starter engaged!

We also got the car to fire up last night. We didn't do too much because I still need to wire the fan, put water in it, and do some other small things. But it sounded mean. I'm looking forward to this weekend. I'll try and get some videos up:supz:

Wow it's been awhile since I've been on this website. Well I got a new daily driver. This is awesome because now i can REALLY do what I want to my car :glasses7: The 360 runs fantastic. No leaks, no ticks, no nothing... My buddy wants to buy the 360 and 727 and the radiator. So I'm gonna sell it to him, and work on the 440.... Any suggestions? I don't want to go broke on building it, but I think 500 horsepower is very reasonable. Here's my recipe:

Stock bottom end.
Comp Cams CL21-228-4 (.545 .545 lift and .285 .297 duration)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads with some port work
440 Source rocker assembly
Either an M1 intake, or a single carb Weiand tunnel ram.
Holley Terminator Fuel Injecction system, or Holley 850.

What does everyone think? :coffee2::blob:

-
Back