65 Barracuda Addco front sway bar install

-

JSL298

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Addco front sway bar for my 65 Barracuda. The instructions provided are very vague. I messed around with it and am not exactly sure how to install it. If someone has one installed, can you please post some detailed pictures and dimensions of possible. Any help/advice while be appreciated.

Best way to install an Addco sway bar is to put it back in the box and return it. Then get a Hellwig or Firm Feel.

Oh bullshit. There's nothing wrong with the Addco BAR. Their hardware is kinda crappy, I admit. That's how they're able to offer an economy price, but the bar itself is fine.

Here's how I did mine. I got some heavy duty mounts from Energy Suspension and mounted it to the front of the K frame and above the front valance cross member so it's way up high and does hit anything. Even with the better mounts, you'll still have less in it than the Helwig. I like Helwig stuff though. It's nice. The bar itself is fine and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the same factory doesn't make them all.

1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

I have installed several of the addco bars over the years in early a's its been a while since I did one so I will spell out what I had to do. Also you might get lucky as some 65 barracudas has the lower control arms with the sway bar bushing bracket already welded in place , its no big deal if it does not its just helpful if yours has that. . I never had to use the instructions as I just looked at what i did on one of my other cars to refresh my memory, so you dont really need the instructions. It is kind of self explanatory once you start to install it.

I like to start with by mounting the 2 sway bar end link brackets to the lower shock bolt- you need to remove the bolt to install the bracket. YOu can skip this step if you LCA already have the mounting tab from the factory.

next I assembly the links and the bar on each side

I get a bottle jack , floor jack or what ever you have to raise the front of the bar in the position that it calls for , i want to say it need to angle down as you go back to the links so the front of the bar is higher than the links , not by much though. Oh yeah you will need to remove the k frame to valance panel brace to get the sway bar high enough.

Next take the mounting brackets and look for a place for them. here you may be in luck as well as some 65 cuda k frames hav the indentations on where the factory bolts would go to hold the factory sway bar. If you have those then that is where you need to mount the bar brackets.

You will need to mark where you want the brackets and mark where you need to drill the holes in the k frame for the mounting hardware. I believe you need to dril 2 holes one on the bottom of the k frame for another mounting bracket and another on the face of the k frame to mount the lower bolt, I think the upper part does not require a hole to drill. it should start to make sense from that point forward

Its really pretty simple install should not take more than an hour. I will upload photos.

i had it backwards about the front bracket but you can see in the photo how it goes together

thumbnail_IMG_2990.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2991.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2992.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2993.jpg

-
Back