65 barracuda Commando 273 /Formula S?

-

robertjust777

Reaction score
im looking at buying a 1965 barracuda from a couple looks really good body only no motor or tranny. ive been researching up and down about it being a formula s there is no body tag. only vin it does have 273 badges on the side front fenders. tach, front disk, 14" rims 5 leafs spring maybe 6 hard to tell didnt really take a good look. 4 speed any real way to know for sure if its a formula s or maybe it was just the 273 commando with the rallye package .it has been repainted

who cares if its an s package? if ya like it and the price is right doesnt matter unless your sellin it? I don't think it adds much to the cars value but then again I measure gas mileage in smiles per gallon.....
im looking at buying a 1965 barracuda from a couple looks really good body only no motor or tranny. ive been researching up and down about it being a formula s there is no body tag. only vin it does have 273 badges on the side front fenders. tach, front disk, 14" rims 5 leafs spring maybe 6 hard to tell didnt really take a good look. 4 speed any real way to know for sure if its a formula s or maybe it was just the 273 commando with the rallye package .it has been repainted

Check under the back seat for the build sheet. If it's there, and you really think it matters, that should tell you...

yah body is 9/10 and inside is 8/10 needs a new back seat and front bucket seats done everything else is perfect.. almost all trim is there i believe all i need is a motor and tranny. and driveshaft.

i would have killed to find a 64/65 when i build my car,,a nice 65 is hard to find these days,,,the motor is the easy part,,, no 64/65/66 barracuda ever had 273 badges,,,only the darts,,pics please sounds like a killer deal,,,,

no barracudas came with the 273 commando badges??

i would have killed to find a 64/65 when i build my car,,a nice 65 is hard to find these days,,,the motor is the easy part,,, no 64/65/66 barracuda ever had 273 badges,,,only the darts,,pics please sounds like a killer deal,,,,

commando yes,,,,,V-EIGHT on lower fender 1966.no 273 on a barracuda 64 /65/66,,dont ever remember seeign one a 67/68/69 b cuda,,, only seen them on 66/67 dart

four barrell

i have a pair,,67 dart part number, N.O.S. not for sale,,lol

yeah it says commando v8 on the front fenders

commando yes,,,,,V-EIGHT on lower fender 1966.no 273 on a barracuda 64 /65/66,,dont ever remember seeign one a 67/68/69 b cuda,,, only seen them on 66/67 dart

four barrell

i have a pair,,67 dart part number, N.O.S. not for sale,,lol

Contact Chrysler Historical with some money and they'll give you a copy of the original IBM punch card and a print out of the options the car came with.

I just purchased a 65 and i am not going to use a lot of the drive train, i have the orig trans appears to be rebuilt with the drive line and conv, and many other parts.

I think the 65 is the best looking year IMO

It would say on the fender tag. I found the build sheet to our Barracuda under the carpet with the seat stud right through it. In my opinion a Commando Barracuda (like ours) thats not a Formula-S is rarer then a Formula-S. The non Formula-S Commando 273 cars got a fender badge thats says CommandoV8. Formula-S cars just got a badge with an S on it.

If it says Commando on the emblem it is a Commando car or it would have a round emblem there in place of the Commando and it would say formula S. Rare car either way.

Do you know that the vin is on the driver door support punched on a chrome tag? Also try the radiator support on the driver side , that would give some information about the car

First 2 digits will V8 but I think that will only tell you that it was a 273 car but not if it was a 2 bbl or 4 bbl engine.

FYI : I got this from the Chrysler historical Museum :

Subject: Your Request

Hello David,

I have enclosed a build card order form for you. The build car would be the only information we have available for your vehicle in our collection and within the company. The fee for this service is $45.00, payable in check or money order to Chrysler Group LLC. This will include a copy of the build card and decoding. We also require proof of ownership. A copy of the title or registration is acceptable. The documentation must be in your name and show the proper VIN. It may take up to 4-6 weeks to complete your request, once it is received. If the build record happens to be missing for our records, your payment will be returned.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for your inquiry!

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler Historical Collection
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288-5000

Fax: (313) 252-2928

Attachments

• Build Record Order Form.xls (1).pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 199

The rallye pack (non-formula S) and the Valiant with 273 commando both had a Commando V/8 emblem on the front of the fender- whee formulas s emblem was....- like on the 383 65 b bodies-

A 1965 Formula S would have a tach on the left side of the dash. Also the rear valance would have a rectangular cut out for the Commando exhaust resonator tip. Front sway bar too. Spare tire cover would have a "C" cut into it to accomidate the larger Formula S spare tire.

I have a 1965 non Formula S, Commando equipped Barracuda. I think they are more rare than the Formula S.

65 formula s would have tach on left but fender tag would tell the tale. I could tell you but I am in florida and my car and books are in maryland,. Badge on fender would be formula s badge not 273 tag. But honestly if it does not have all the original parts it is not worth enough to worry about correctness. If you like it do as you wish. Mine was a formula s with 273 but not original motor now has 318 as it is a better motor and faster. It looks like 273 color and valve covers reused but now has disc brakes and electronic ignition ect. Unless a perfect original car they are not valuable enough to preserve. Have fun and use your imagination I will add some picts of mine. sorry I cannot find my camera disc right now. but will later

65 formula s would have tach on left but fender tag would tell the tale. I could tell you but I am in florida and my car and books are in maryland,. Badge on fender would be formula s badge not 273 tag. But honestly if it does not have all the original parts it is not worth enough to worry about correctness. If you like it do as you wish. Mine was a formula s with 273 but not original motor now has 318 as it is a better motor and faster. It looks like 273 color and valve covers reused but now has disc brakes and electronic ignition ect. Unless a perfect original car they are not valuable enough to preserve. Have fun and use your imagination I will add some picts of mine. sorry I cannot find my camera disc right now. but will later

ya ether way i love the car and looking to put a 340 in it not sure how the swap will go i will post pics later today

-
Back