65 Barracuda

-
Looks to be a major project, but they all deserve to be saved.
Don´t know but maybe you can do something on the price.
What about the car to the right of this early A-body, looks to be a -70 Cuda?

it all depends on how much time / money do you want to spend to bring it back to live

IMO - i would say hands off - maybe "parting out" but no resto-object

"DESCRIPTION
1965 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA, You are looking at a 65 Barracuda Fastback missing the engine and trans. "

No Engine & Trans and tons of body rust - seems like too much money.

If you can’t afford $4500 how will you afford the $20,000+ it would take just to get the body of that hunk of crap straightened out?

I have time and I can do the work. I don't need to pay anyone to do what I need.

I have time and I can do the work. I don't need to pay anyone to do what I need.

It is a simple matter of material and component cost (exterior, interior and drive train). That car will be VERY expensive to get presentable even without labor cost.

It is simply not worth it.

……. You did ask…..

It is a simple matter of material and component cost (exterior, interior and drive train). That car will be VERY expensive to get presentable even without labor cost.

It is simply not worth it.

……. You did ask…..

Yes I did ask,but people like you who word things wrong can and do srive new people off by posting post like these. Do me a favfor and don't answer any more of my post.

[B said:
1968FormulaS340] [/B]
If you can’t afford $4500 how will you afford the $20,000+ it would take just to get the body of that hunk of crap straightened out?

There is a thing called junkyards to get needed parts along with elbow grease.

I understand…. Sometimes I am very blunt.

But…

I am trying to help. It is a matter of project cost vs finished value…..

Most of us end up upside down then it comes to our cars……. The question is how far upside down.

If you save and find a better starting point you will enjoy the build more, see results faster, spend less on the total build and be able to enjoy the car on the road sooner.

I woul bet that the whole underside, includeing the frame rails are toast.

And as far as "There is a thing called junkyards to get needed parts along with elbow grease. " These early barracuda's are not a dime a dozen item in any JY.

I started out with a much more solid car than this one and I am so far upside down into it that its a shame. Not to mention the 7 years to get to the point where its at now.

I'm not trying to run you out of the hobby, but there are much better candidates than this one. There are some nice driver projects to be had at the moment just be patient and keep stacking back the coin, the right one will come to you.

I just went back to take another look just now, it's a parts car period, the whole body is swiss cheese.

I´ll try to give you my thoughts about doing a resto of a car.
First of, try to make a plan of how you´re going to use the car, are you going to use it as a driver, showcar, racecar....?

When I started the resto of my -67 B-cuda, the intention was just to put an engine and a 4-speed in it, just to get it on the road.
I then bought a tranny and started to clean the tunnel above the tranny while I had the chance. With that done I just had to continue with the rest of the chassi.
Well, now there was some rust that showed up under the undercoating so now it was for the best to have it sandblasted. Couldn´t stop there but continued with the rest of the body, had it sanded down to bare metall and dealed with some rust issues around the windows. Since I bougth a well used 383 engine with timing chain issues, I might as well have the engine done too.
With a rare axle painted yellow I wanted to remove that paint and have it painted semi flat black but before that I would have that too sandblasted
and put in new bearings and a sure grip, the same goes for the front end.
This continues for the hole car, replacing and restoring the most of the car.
I believe that most of you guys and girls would recognize themselves in this process of working on cars.

The interior was treated the same way, one thing after another had to be replaced since they didn´t look that good with the rest of the car in the new look of a shape.
I guess the sensmoral is if you´re going to make a show car of it you´ll most likley be replacing or restoring most of the parts anyway.

As goes for the body, frames and sheetmetall it would probably take some skillness with the welder to get that -65 Cuda back to shape. But it can be done. Do a lot of research how the supply of mouldings and brightwork is (taillights and such items). These parts are really expensive for our cars, if they can be found. Try to make a budget for the build and then double it.

Don´t know but perhaps this is something that you already are aware of. (please, no offense ment)

And most important of all, if possible, go and have a close look at the car before you make any decision.

Sorry about the long post, LOL
/Lenny

Well if this is true than why did you ask how big of a project it is?? If it's true than you know that is a bucket of rust......virtually every panel will need rust repair and that's just what you can see in the pics, it's worse than the pics for sure

I would respectfully pass. I would almost grade this car as a free parts car with the purchase of another driver quality car. Just too much rust. On the other side, you can get an entire fiberglass tilt up front end for 500, door skins are available, the rear is rough, these cars are unibody so integrity is important. I would look out west for a roller and ship it, you would be years ahead in bodywork and would have a solid body to start filling with "restification" parts. Mechanicals are plentiful, its the body and trim that'll suck you dry.

I vote "NO" mostly because in my opinion....(from experience) time is precious. And that is a daunting task, changing out frame rails?!! I think for the average person, you'd have to be TOTALLY dedicated to that car.....maybe like it was your first car or something super rare.

We've all seen the project cars in people's garages get sold off after 10 years of diminishing interest, right?

it sure would be a PROJECT idk thats alot of work you can buy one in better shape for a lil more a member had a real nice one for 4500 obo just needed some paint

-
Back