65 Commando Cuda

-
congrads on a cool ride. Glad you had a good trip. Sorry I didn't get to see you guys. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks Tadams ! It was a great time for my son and I to do some bonding also. We left Michigan at 2am got to North Carolina about 12:30pm changed 3 tires on the car so it would load easier and got back in Michigan at 12:30am . Not bad time considering we drove through rain, sleet and snow in the mountains of West Virgina.

Very cool car! It should be fun and to have it running by the end of the month would be great.
ENJOY!

nice find,looks like all the chrome,stainless trim is there,,,im betting that isnt the orignal 273...looks like a little blue color on the front of the block,,and the oil sending unit is of a later motor,, not that the sender couldnt of been changed,,,is it the orignal 4 speed box ?? 4 bolt flange on the tail shaft ?? if it is thats a 3.09 first gear box,,,,ITS NOT JUNK,,,,

nice find,looks like all the chrome,stainless trim is there,,,im betting that isnt the orignal 273...looks like a little blue color on the front of the block,,and the oil sending unit is of a later motor,, not that the sender couldnt of been changed,,,is it the orignal 4 speed box ?? 4 bolt flange on the tail shaft ?? if it is thats a 3.09 first gear box,,,,ITS NOT JUNK,,,,

It checks out as date correct 273 and the heads are bare steel looking as if they were just redone. The only paint left on the block is red. Yes it is the original box with the ball and trunion shaft.

Some cool stuff about the car is it is nearly complete after all the years of sitting in a field. It was born September 15 1964 and was car #171. It is not a Formula S but is a Commando with the suspension package and power brakes. Being an early 65 it has the 7 1/4 sure-grip in it and believe it or not still intact. The #s I got were 4,874 made with 4bbl and 4 speed but did not find the # of those that were not a Formula S. It shows 2 paint codes for the silver w/black stripes. It should not take a whole lot of work to make it a driver then do a full restore after I sell my house and get a place with a barn. I am looking at this car as a piece of virgin Mopar history with very few mods done early in its life.

Whats to toggle switch and light too under the dash?

No S and no disks. The disk car would have a doughnut extension on the master cylinder reservoir, and an "S" would have a tach under the headlight knob. Blast and paint those cool rims body color. I thought all 4spd's got the 8 3/4. maybe that was a later 65 deal?

Nice find!!....that looks like something I'd buy & bring home! Looks solid & somewhat unmolested......(not 5 paint jobs)

(My buddy had a '65 4-speed "S" and it had the 7 1/4"......)

Can you read the casting numbers on the heads?

Nice find!!....that looks like something I'd buy & bring home! Looks solid & somewhat unmolested......(not 5 paint jobs)

(My buddy had a '65 4-speed "S" and it had the 7 1/4"......)

Can you read the casting numbers on the heads?

I didnt think of it till you said it but the head casting # is 2658920-1 so the heads are 66 and up.

That is very cool about the sure-grip 7 1/4! Something new for me, what a fine project, way to go.

Thats what my 66 started as also it was a 2.93 sure-grip 7 1/4 although I am unsure of this 65 it may be the 3.55 as thats what I am told was common for the Commando package. Heck being I am building 2 now maybee we will get ours done near the same time.

first year for an 8 3/4 in an A body was 1966 option not standard,,,66 8 3/4 are said to be a tad bit narrower,,but ive never measured one

i would think the fender tag would tell the story,,was your car a factory,,S or comando ?? i gues you could order it with a 2 bbl v 8 car,, i dont really get in to the numbers matching thing

Well I am close to seeing if she will fire agian. I worked a little today to end up at this.

PA250001.jpg

IDE PULL THE DIZZY OUT AND OIL PRIME THE PUMP AND MOTOR,,, if you have never done this before its simple,,you can use a long hex alan wrench,, make a note of where the dizzy oil pump drive gear is facing,,, pull it out and stick the long straight alan hex wrench in to the oil pump,,run the drill at a slow speed in a clock wise direction,till you see oil flowing from the rocker shafts,, or attach a guage and watch for oil pressure,,,sure beats wiping out a cam bearing,,,or dry lifters and rockers,

Thanks guys I plan on that because I am changing the pan to the 8 quart that dad had on his. These engine parts that you see me putting on this is what dad pulled from his in the early 70s and this is along the lines of my 66 build as a tribute to him. He taught me much during the years and I will only be able to repay him a little for the hell I gave him. This is helping to put a smile on his face and give him memories of when mom was still with us.

From what you said and the pictures, I would think it would be worth doing.

I think Hooker made some fenderwell hedders. I used them once, they came close to the hood. I think I had to be careful with tire size. Caught a lot of looks and was fun to drive.
I would check engine stampings/casting numbers to see if it is a 273.

-
Back