"65 Cuda" complete dream resto.

-

Fonden

Reaction score
I just inherited a 1965 Barracuda S from my father in law that has been in an old tobacco barn for the last 30 yrs. The body is going to need some patchwork done but the interior is in great shape. The carpet has faded so will need a dye job and the seats are in great shape, not even going to re-pad them and take a chance of tearing anything. I have already made all the backings for the door panels and put the originals back on and they look like they just came off the showroom floor. I need to paint it and that's about the worst of the interior. Everything, Radio and all is orig, have the orig window sticker, Title maint records just about everything. I have just about everything off the car, motor is shot but just got a 67 318 (1st year fir LA model, 220hp, forged crank) and have a EFI set-up for it got the heads off and everything looks good. Am putting orig 273 in storage so when I do have the $ I will get it going. Very sentimental about this car, not only for Father in law but I was born in 65, :).I have a 8 3/4 rear end for it off a 72 Cuda but need to shorten it about 3-4 in. Am going to rebuild the 904 in it now but am eventually going for a 727. I have alot of exp motor and tranny wise but have never done any body work so am looking forward to learning. Have a full shop set-up, picked up the Concourse gun from Eastwood, my comp wouldn't be able to handle the cfm of the others and everything I have heard so far it seems to be a great gun especially for a novice. I have alway's wanted to do this and now that am disabled from MS and have bouncing off the walls it's time to "Get-er-dun"!!! My only fear is that larger than life rear window, going to leave it on until just before I get ready to paint. Plus am running into a real hard time finding the front dome parking/turn lenses that aren't cracked but other than that good to go. Ya'll take care and will keep ya updated on progress. MOPAR is the only true Muscle and if anyone wants to argue that point with this former Army Spec Ops is wastin their time.

Attachments

• 100_3930.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 100_4033.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_4027.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_3947.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_3941.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 100_3938.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 435
  • 100_3935.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 438
Wow ! That is a complete V8 Barracuda Fonden, Congratulations :cheers:

looks like great starting point. it helps if its all there! you will be able to find used parts here on FABO, post in wanted.

Nice! I wish my 64's interior was that protected. Have fun and cant wait to see the progress.

Where in NC ? I sold a 65 Cuda that looked about like that, not quite 40 years ago. I've always liked 64-65 Barracudas, and kinda been jonesing for one here lately. :banghead: Good luck with your project! :prayer:

Where are you in North Carolina. I'm in Kernersville. working on a 65 as well

I'm in East Bend about 15 miles West of Winston. Thank you for the compliments, been workin on the heads for the last 3 day's. Brought the crank in Tues, 1 1/2 wk wait so am goin Rooter-Rooter on the Heads and Block. Kernersville is 30 min away, would be cool to hook up and go over notes.. I decided to go with the 2 bbl Intake and port the gap as wide as I can get it, it's a dual plenum and has pretty descent sized runners so gettin a adaptor plate but am thinkin what would be my best Carb choice. Prob going w/the 340 Hippo or maybe a step up for the cam, found out it has 4" pistons and the heads have hardened seats so that's a big plus. I have a set of 5.9 Magnum Exh manifolds, twice thw size of the 318's and looks like I'll be able to squeeze the gap, very budget minded build but want to get everything in sinc. HaHaHaHaHA simple eh??? Been having a great time workin on it, Ya'll take care and if have any suggestions shoot away.

I lost the PM you sent, I am progressing on mine. Work seems to get in the way. I'm off Sunday and Monday. Sunday consist of church and family so Monday is my day to work. I did get off April 4th to go to Rockingham. They have a nice Mopar drag, show and swap meet. Taking my 3 sons for a day of fun. Keep in touch.

Great car to start with. The interior looks great. It seems that everything is there too.

I am going to try and do all work on the motor that I can myself and this worked way beyond my expectations. When I first started to tear this motor down I was in disbelief on how rough shape it was in. All but 3 of the original freeze plugs had been replaced, one side of the motor looked like the Sinai Desert and the other was like the Boggy swamp. I read up on using Electrolisis and built a tank w/a $13 plastic bin from the Dollar store and used some scrap Iron for the electrodes (I also built a larger tank using an old shipping crate and a pond liner - $50 at Lowe's). They say to use Sodium Carbonate but after some research found out that using baking soda that had been in the oven at 300 degrees for 1 hr produces Sodium Carbonate so I did that at first. I ordered some Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (which is Sodium Carbonate) and compared the two and saw no difference, the baking soda is much cheaper and easier to come by. I used a battery charger (plugged into a GFCI outlet) in series with a battery (the newer chargers will cut off w/out the battery in-line) and set it at 4 amps for 2 day's and pulled the pieces out and after a small amount of scrubbing afterwards they almost looked like brand new off the shelf. Best to use warm water and mix 1 tablespoon of soda per gallon of water. Check out Youtube there are several videos on setting it up. Just do not use STAINLESS STEEL OR ALUMINUM!!!!! Here are a few pic's of b-4 and after. Well worth the effort!!!!! P.S. remove paint and as much grease and gunk b-4 you do this as it only works on rust. :)

Attachments

• head3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 260
  • head2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 259
  • block3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 267
  • block2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 266
  • block1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 287
  • b44.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 288
  • b43.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 272
  • b42.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 287
  • b41.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 270
  • head4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 267
subscribed.Im a little lost on your direction, you said it had 4.00 pistons, thats a 360. Formula S had a tach just left of the speedo in s seperate bezel. Your asking what carb to use but you mentioned EFI in the first post? I myself am on a 18 year 65 "S"restification, its a constant project. You mentioned a 727 trans in the future. I would not recommend it as the 904 is a much better fit, and quite capable behind most LA's. Electrolysis is great, I have yet to try it on your scale (block size) but Armstrong home and garden had washing soda, $4 for a big box. I found it using a google search for retailers. Rear window is not that bad, remove locking strip and push up with your feet from inside, you will not break it, but may hurt your back! installation is laying it on and working the rubber seal back on with a plastic spudger. Hows your steering wheel, any cracks? Will be watching, let me know if you get stuck, had 2 over a 30 year span. Semper Fi

It has the s-package upgrade (it cost $83 at the time) and the steering wheel has a 1/16" crack in it (need to find a way to fix it) but came w/2bbl 273. I am currently building a 318 because the 273 needs more work than I can afford at the moment and I figure the guy I bought the motor from had previously re-built it due to the newer valve seats in it and size of the pistons. Still debating on the EFI thing, am still lookin for the ECU and wiring harness off an 92 - 93 Stang 5.0 (my son lives in Myrtle Beach and was at a salvage yard and said he found 1, he counted the plug wires and figured it was a V-8, pulled it and sent it to me and turns out to be 2,3 w/2 plugs per cyl) he tried, I have Mass air and throttle body plus a cpl other sensors off a 93 but VERY hard to find. Thanks for the tip on the 727, I do want to keep the 904 orig in it. I guess it all depends on what I come across first, a killer deal on a good Carb or to find the 5.0 parts I need. Thanks pishta and will give you a hollar when I run into a prob, "Airborne" Brother... :)

If you need the original transmission rebuilt, I had mine done in Thomasville. It's hard to find someone who would rebuild it. I will get you the number if you need

If you need the original transmission rebuilt, I had mine done in Thomasville. It's hard to find someone who would rebuild it. I will get you the number if you need

Those Transmissions are VERY easy to build....
You could do it in a few hours if your parts are already cleaned up and your new seal kit etc. are on hand. Get the book and do it yourself. Your AIRBORN after all....
Hell, I'm a Navy vet. Was Pilot Rescue and I did it and i'm just a stupid old swabby.

Hi fonden. I lost your contact information. PM me if you can. Would like to get together soon. Farmington is May 7. Hoping to see you there.

-
Back