65 Dart drag car project

-

Fireball

Reaction score
Just brought home a 65 Dart to turn into a drag car. Plans so far are to back half it and cage it with frame connectors. As far as the engine, undecided. It will either be a stroker small or big of course. Just depends on how much cutting (and money) I want to do. Goal is at least low 10's. I am leaning towards E85, as a co-worker of mine drag races with it, and he runs low 10's. It's a lot cheaper to run than racing fuel. This will be a long term project, and I will be doing most if not all of the work myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

My Dart 002.jpg

PA040003.jpg

My Dart 006.jpg

My Dart 007.jpg

I've got the fenders, just didn't want to take up another pic, they are shown in my pic gallery, along with lots of extra trim it looks like. As for the floor, not sure which to use, stock pans or aluminum. The back floor is still there and in good shape.

I've got the fenders, just didn't want to take up another pic, they are shown in my pic gallery, along with lots of extra trim it looks like. As for the floor, not sure which to use, stock pans or aluminum. The back floor is still there and in good shape.

Depends on what you are going to do with the car. A stock resto', stock floor, a race car, aluminum is the way to go.

Here's a really nice small block 422 stroker car. The guy who drives this car is the local high school auto shop teacher in Monroe. Beautiful car and super person. If I was building a 1965 for the strip I would go for this look. Jayson

_YOK8193_copy[2].jpg

Here's a really nice small block 422 stroker car. The guy who drives this car is the local high school auto shop teacher in Monroe. Beautiful car and super person. If I was building a 1965 for the strip I would go for this look. Jayson

That's a cool shop teacher. My auto shop teacher just sets up pre runners and goes out to ghost towns.

If thats Rob Eppler he has a pretty sweet Barracuda also.

That looks fantastic!! That's the look, including the color I wanted for mine, but I don't want to copy someone else. Does he usually race at Milan? I'd like to see this car in person. Anyone know if he will be racing this weekend? Is he a member on here? Looks like Bob Mazzolini front end from that pic. Geez, I sound like a kid. :toothy10:

That looks fantastic!! That's the look, including the color I wanted for mine, but I don't want to copy someone else. Does he usually race at Milan? I'd like to see this car in person. Anyone know if he will be racing this weekend? Is he a member on here? Looks like Bob Mazzolini front end from that pic. Geez, I sound like a kid. :toothy10:
Yes he does run at Milan. I only know him from when we talk at the track so I couldn't tell you if he's there every weekend being I only go out at the end of the summer and fall. I've never seen him or his car on here at FABO. jayson

if you would like to take pix or see some pix of my 65 and how I have put it together, just let me know...This did not occur overnight...long work and many ideas....some good some bad!

rob eppler

if you would like to take pix or see some pix of my 65 and how I have put it together, just let me know...This did not occur overnight...long work and many ideas....some good some bad!

rob eppler

Yes, I would like to see your pics of the build and any advice you have. If you would, send them to my email. 440coronet at live dot com

or you can view my profile and download my vcard with my email address in it. Many thanks. Roy E Watson

I will get together some pix over the next time period...feel free to "question" anything you like!

65 is not a Bad choice.. But 63 is the Bomb...lol... Good luck with your project.. it took me about 1 1/2 years to do mine from ground up...

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 001.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 004.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 006.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 016.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 009.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 012.jpg

Dart New Stance 5-3-09 014.jpg

65 is not a Bad choice.. But 63 is the Bomb...lol... Good luck with your project.. it took me about 1 1/2 years to do mine from ground up...

Thanks billyjay! I just received my rear wheels tonight. 15x14 7.5 backspace.

080.JPG

that's a nice looking 65, how long have you owned it? Is it all tube chassis?
Bought it in 1978, raced it with a 340, back halfed and 535 cube /440, 475 cube/440, went full cage over 2x3 frame rails, aluminum interior,ladderbars etc and 499 lowdeck, currently 528 cube megablock alky injected,440-1 indy heads.

-
Back