65 dart GT - exhaust fumes inside car

-

ZoltanKFJC

Reaction score
Just bought a 1965 Dart GT 273 - 2V in great condition. However, exhaust fumes inside car are strong. Where should I start to check to diagnose this problem?

Trunk lid seal. Hood to cowl seal will let engine vapors enter the cowl vent too.

The lower steering column bushing was gone on my 66 Dart. The speedo cable grommet was split also.

Are you sure it's exhaust fumes?
Sometimes as the engine ages and blow-by develops, the PCV gets overwhelmed, and some of those fumes get exhausted back thru the breather. The factory routed these into the air-filter house to be drawn in with the incoming fresh air. But now 50 years later, this system may no longer be still in use. And then those fumes can easily find their way into the cabin.
Since these fumes are essentially oil vapors, the oil will stick to your nose hairs, and if left there, you'll be smelling that funk for hours.
Exhaust fumes, in small doses, set my earlobes on fire. They say this is because the Co gets into my blood, replacing the O there, and the way it manifests in me is the hot lobes. In heavier doses it makes me drowsy.Then I get the heck outta there. When I come out of the fog, I have a horrible headache completely unlike a normal one. I have learned to trust my early warning system!,lol.cuz I hate those headaches.
The oil fumes do not affect me this way.

Where do your exhaust tips end? When at the rear end --> aggrevates the problem.
Otherwise same as above, trunk lid seal.

Are you sure it's exhaust fumes?
Sometimes as the engine ages and blow-by develops, the PCV gets overwhelmed, and some of those fumes get exhausted back thru the breather. The factory routed these into the air-filter house to be drawn in with the incoming fresh air. But now 50 years later, this system may no longer be still in use. And then those fumes can easily find their way into the cabin.
Since these fumes are essentially oil vapors, the oil will stick to your nose hairs, and if left there, you'll be smelling that funk for hours.
Exhaust fumes, in small doses, set my earlobes on fire. They say this is because the Co gets into my blood, replacing the O there, and the way it manifests in me is the hot lobes. In heavier doses it makes me drowsy.Then I get the heck outta there. When I come out of the fog, I have a horrible headache completely unlike a normal one. I have learned to trust my early warning system!,lol.cuz I hate those headaches.
The oil fumes do not affect me this way.

There's nothing like a Co headache to make you never want another, also makes me puke.
I learned early on in my life, I think a Briggs & Stratton is worse than a V8.

-
Back