65 Dart GT Project Started

-
Hi, I have a Dart (here in Argentina Valiant III), can you give me the address or the provider's web page upper wheel arch placed on your Dart. Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This car is one of the rare go/go package Dart GTs. They were offered by Dodge from April 1st. They were all yellow and could be ordered with stripes. These cars could be ordered from all Dodge dealersand were assembled at all their plants.

Enclosed is picture from the sales broschure. Good luck with the resto.

What was the difference with the stripe on the side and the one down the middle? Any other options on a GO GO Dart?

What was the difference with the stripe on the side and the one down the middle? Any other options on a GO GO Dart?

I've got the same brochure, same yellow car but no stripes. Convertibles came with the stripe off-set, hardtops down the middle. They were mostly dealer installed according to another GO-GO brochure I have. It even has all the factory instructions, measurements, etc for the dealer to do it.

The go go package cars could be had with whatever options. You could even have it witha 225 aut! I guess it was a way for Dodge to sell some cars. And the yellow paint was a spring option color too.

what are the widths on that offset stripe? I would love to make a Go Go wagon!

Per the brochure I have:

"On GT convertibles racing stripes will be offset from the center toward the driver's side. A three and three quarter inch (3-3/4")black stripe will be located starting at a point twelve and three quarter inches (12-3/4") from the centerline of the hood. An interval of one inch (1") will then be followed one and one half (1-1/2') black stripe. Stripes will extend from the grille rearward to the windshield reveal moulding and on the rear deck from the top well rearward to the bumper omitting the bright rear end panel applique but including the area between the applique and bumper. See attached sketch"

Well I got back at it today after a 5 day break!! I rebushed the leaf springs and also finished up mounting and running brake lines and master cylinder. I then pulled it all off and painted under the hood so the motor can go in!!! We played around with the color for a while (mixing off white and yellow) together to get this slightly muted out yellow. Not as muted as original color but it is what we liked. It will look god with that black stripe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 347
  • 4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 5.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 346
Very nice project. I am doing a 65 Gt hardtop myself. Factory yellow with black interior too.

well it has been a pretty productive 4 days got most bodywork done. Mounted tires on the rims and checked them out!! First coat of epoxy primer laid on real thick. I like that mint color i may just clear over that!!! LOL

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 4.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 329
yes i will have it done before 5-30-11 as i have a bet that it will be done. I also told the kid he could take it for graduation day on the 4th of june.

I havnt posted in a while because all the pics look the same!! 2 filler coats and lots of blocking and i put the first coat of color on tonight!!! Now i will let that sit for a week and then wetsand and then more color stripes and clearcoat. Getting motor ready tommorow for install mabey thursday!!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 13.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 12.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 285
  • 11.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 10.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 9.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 8.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 295
Well i took a little bit of a break (2 weeks) was getting burnt out so did some other projects. Got back at it a week ago or so and got the final paint on and got the motor and tranny in today. Now i will wire tommorow and see if i can get it to turn over. I will also be installing a lokar kickdown cable tommorow as well. Here are some pics. In the one pic look how close that water pump come to the radiator!!! I mat ave to find a electric setup off a car it is really tight!!

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 17.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 16.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 15.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 14.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 257
  • 13.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 264
Well i havnt posted in a while as i have been pretty busy doing stuff around the house!! Wife wanted a pool so that took a couple of weeks then it got way to hot!! but I am now on the finishing stages. I have most of it together and running and driving after i figured out that i cannot use a converter for a 360 on a 65 tranny!!! Used old one and welded wieghts so now all is good. Getting exhaust done this comming week and I should be able to use it a little before i have to put them to bed for winter.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 10.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 9.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 8.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 7.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 6.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 5.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 243
  • 13.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 226
Rapid I am not sure what you mean attached but if you are talking about the 3 vent port things this was factory installed on gt models. I need to find 1 more as i only have 2 for right side

Rapid I am not sure what you mean attached but if you are talking about the 3 vent port things this was factory installed on gt models. I need to find 1 more as i only have 2 for right side

hey thanks for being patient with me. i don't really know anthing about the model era of the darts

You have done a great work on your car. Enjoy the ride. Send me a pm with your address and I will send you the last exhaust port to you for free. Send us some pictures with the stripes added later.

Beautiful car. Mine is also a yellow 65 Dart GT, but 2 dr hardtop. I don't have your tools like the rotisory or sand blast, so I used just a drill wire brush and crawled underneath and inside the trunk. My main mistake was not disassembling everything first. I worked around parts that I later removed, especially under the dash. My suggestion to anyone doing this is to pry under the "seam seal" in the trunk with a putty knife. Much of mine popped off easy, and I found surface rust underneath. I used PL1 polyurethane caulk to re-fill.

I am using Interlux Brightsides 1-pt polyurethane and so far painted just the difficult areas - engine bay, trunk and under-dash. The original paint was a bit too "faded yellow". The car had been repainted, so don't know how yellow the original factory color was. I used 3 parts white to 1 part yellow, but found that slightly too yellow (but much lighter than yours). I will go with 4 parts white to 1 part yellow for the outside. The upside is that the yellow is sold only by the quart and is ~4x the price of white.

-
Back