'65 Formula S with "factory" 727 and 8 3/4?

-
I might have gotten these Al. Nope, not quite.

Build Info   003.jpg

Build Info   004.jpg

@ddartdude Nope I can't get them. If I reduce the image small enough for the site to accept they are still not large enough to read. Let me see if I can divide them up and take a screen shot. BRB

TMM,
You did a great job. Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to post them at all.
As far as D/Dart stuff goes, Paul had a bunch of them going prior to his passing. The one that I really remember was the, installed, cam comparison. Got up to the D/Dart testing and he passed away. The nerve of him. RIP Paul.

I have a '66 V-100 with an 8 3/4 3.91 SG that looks to have been there from day one. The build code for the axle is 173,I can't find a reference for that # in the white book,but the 41 code for the pinion would seem to be correct for the ratio. I will start a new thread on this car & ask for help decoding the broadcast sheet.

I have a '66 V-100 with an 8 3/4 3.91 SG that looks to have been there from day one. The build code for the axle is 173,I can't find a reference for that # in the white book,but the 41 code for the pinion would seem to be correct for the ratio. I will start a new thread on this car & ask for help decoding the broadcast sheet.

I think you are correct on the "41" pinion. My 66 parts book show 41 tooth speedometer gear for vehicles with 6.95 X 14" and 7.00 X 13" tires and 3.91 to 1 ratio rear end.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Dart0019.jpg
I have found it interesting that they don't mention the rear axle size in their descriptions and options. Even the Galen books don't mention which rear axle in the 66 models. You have to look at the exact ratios and decypher which rear end it was.
Mike,
If you use the driveshaft code from your broadcast sheet & Galen's vol I book it will tell you the ring gear size that was installed at the factory.

Noticed most of y'all mention "modding" the trans tunnel lip for clearance. Guess I really am the lucky one as I have had 2 '65s that did not require any "attitude adjustment" on said lip. :thumbsup: Didn't have the opportunity to find out on my 3rd one. :( If memory serves, I had an inch or so on both.
And one other thing about my first one. My Dad did the install and used the exhaust manifolds & complete exhaust system from the '68 'cuda that the 340 came out of, including the tips & hangers. Notched the rear valance & you really had to look to notice them. I helped with the install & don't remember having to do anything with the column. Maybe him using 273 mounts he had modded helped?
Of course, it wasn't loud enough for a 16 yo & it wasn't long before I had cut from the mufflers-back off & hung some Walker Blue Tubes on it. Remember those? :D On my 2nd, I had bought a set of fenderwell headers from a '65 Dart.
My plan for the 3rd one was to exactly replicate my first '65 down to notching the valance for the tips. Sigh... maybe one day.:)

Noticed most of y'all mention "modding" the trans tunnel lip for clearance. Guess I really am the lucky one as I have had 2 '65s that did not require any "attitude adjustment" on said lip. :thumbsup: <<<>>>

Not sure how you got that lucky.
I know for a fact on my Burgundy 65 Dart GT (I sold it in Augusta GA back in 1984) I had to hammer that seam to put my A727 in it.
On my 65 Barracuda when we had the 383 and A727 it too had to have that seam hammered flat. And the left exhaust manifold had to be notched for the steering shaft.

...the axle is #178
[factory] 8 3/4 Sure Grip. 3.23
Quoting Govier's 1991 Parts Interchange Book: build code (not sales code)
011 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
178 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
I have no idea why the same rear in 1966 A-bodies would have different build codes for the apparently same rear end.

Good stuff in this thread. So..... Broadcast Sheet "Axle Build Code" 011 is a 7 1/4" 3.23 SG w/10" brakes (per GG's 1991 book), and code 178 (like TMM's) must be 8 3/4" 3.23 SG w/10" brakes (contrary to GG's 1991 book). Still not defined is crawsfire's axle build code of 138 for his 8 3/4" 3.23 SG (maybe has 9" brakes?). And rod440's code of 173 for his 8 3/4" 3.91 SG, does that have 9" or 10" brakes? The deeper you dig, the more questions you get. It's the Mopar way...

Not sure how you got that lucky.
I know for a fact on my Burgundy 65 Dart GT (I sold it in Augusta GA back in 1984) I had to hammer that seam to put my A727 in it.
On my 65 Barracuda when we had the 383 and A727 it too had to have that seam hammered flat. And the left exhaust manifold had to be notched for the steering shaft.

BB trans bell is very close to SB bell, size-wise. I do think I was very lucky also. Not sure why. :)

BB trans bell is very close to SB bell, size-wise. I do think I was very lucky also. Not sure why. :)

Big block A727 bellhousing is not anywhere near the size of a Small block A904. These early A bodies are made for stick shift bellhousings with a 9 inch clutch or a much smaller A904. That I know, no 1961-1965 A body came with a A727.
In the case of my 1965 Dart GT, it was a 273 4bbl, 4 speed, 9 inch clutch, 7 1/4 rear and 3.23 gears. When the driveshaft u joint failed at 70 MPH it also shocked the trans and broke one bellhousing to trans bolt dog ears. I was given a A727 for free and being bucks down military I used what I had.

Big block A727 bellhousing is not anywhere near the size of a Small block A904. These early A bodies are made for stick shift bellhousings with a 9 inch clutch or a much smaller A904. That I know, no 1961-1965 A body came with a A727.
In the case of my 1965 Dart GT, it was a 273 4bbl, 4 speed, 9 inch clutch, 7 1/4 rear and 3.23 gears. When the driveshaft u joint failed at 70 MPH it also shocked the trans and broke one bellhousing to trans bolt dog ears. I was given a A727 for free and being bucks down military I used what I had.

My reference was to 727s, not 904s.

I guess some may not have to pound the lip seam. YMMV

In my 65 Dart GT, I left the 273 engine in the bay and just tilted the trans down to remove the 4 speed bellhousing. Then the LA engine A727 was bolted up while still angled down. As I jacked up the tailshaft it would not go up due to interference on that lip seam. It was late, I was pi$$ed so I dropped the 727 back out.
The next day my wife held a huge rock on the tunnel floorboard as I beat that lip flater from under.

I guess some may not have to pound the lip seam. YMMV

In my 65 Dart GT, I left the 273 engine in the bay and just tilted the trans down to remove the 4 speed bellhousing. Then the LA engine A727 was bolted up while still angled down. As I jacked up the tailshaft it would not go up due to interference on that lip seam. It was late, I was pi$$ed so I dropped the 727 back out.
The next day my wife held a huge rock on the tunnel floorboard as I beat that lip flater from under.
Great story. They will fit but they aren't supposed to.

Thanks for the info on clearing an A727 in the trans tunnel. Once I got the engine and trans out I can see and understand what all the hammering was for in my Valiant!

Jim

-
Back