65 formula s

-

Mopar 4 life

Reaction score
My daughter bought a 65 formula s that was produced on Dec 29 of 64....2 questions does anyone know when the first formula s was produced and since hers had a motor change would her block have a year of 64 stamped on it as I am currently looking for a needle in a haystack the original motor. The turn and tail lights have 64' on them . Any assistance is appreciated

Barracuda front.jpg

I may be wrong...I'm sure that I will be corrected if so...I don't believe that any Formula S,s were built in 1964. They came out a little later into the year of 1965. I had a 1965, factory 273 Commando, 4 speed, 14" wheels, that was built in October 64, but it was not a Formula S. The tail light lens on the 64s and 65s are identical, lending to the 64 molded into the lens.
Norm

I may be wrong...I'm sure that I will be corrected if so...I don't believe that any Formula S,s were built in 1964. They came out a little later into the year of 1965. I had a 1965, factory 273 Commando, 4 speed, 14" wheels, that was built in October 64, but it was not a Formula S. The tail light lens on the 64s and 65s are identical, lending to the 64 molded into the lens.
Norm
that makes sense, because the '64 barracuda was a mid-year introduction. I'm sure they didn't make too many changes in the '65 version to a model they just introduced a few months earlier.

my #s matching 64 dart had a 64 date code. It was a slant six car though . I hope this helps.

that makes sense, because the '64 barracuda was a mid-year introduction. I'm sure they didn't make too many changes in the '65 version to a model they just introduced a few months earlier.
Norm
Thanks Norm.....it may be an extremely late 65 then unless I am reading the tag wrong

20180208_024207.jpg

From my understanding there are no serial numbers on the block until 1968, so any 1964 dated 273 would pass as numbers correct.

The 65 Formula S Cuda was introduced mid year. Also, as others have commented there were no vin numbers on the blocks prior to 68 model years. Good luck in your search. 65'
20180126_192214.jpg

Thanks Norm.....it may be an extremely late 65 then unless I am reading the tag wrong

View attachment 1715139619
The number "31" under AB on your fender tag indicates the 273 hp engine. The number "2" indicates the car was built with the Formula S package.
My understanding is for 1965, the Formula S package was available beginning early in the model year, perhaps October 1964. My 65 Formula S has a build date of December 11, 1964.

The original motor was more than likely built a month or two before the vehicles scheduled production date. Any motor in that date range would be correct.

If it was a motor built for a 1965 car even though it was built in late 64 it would be stamped as a 65 which would be the letter A at the beginning of the numbers on the front of the block under the head. They weren't building 64 cars in October of 64 they were already selling 65 cars at that point.The model year started in the Fall

View attachment 1715139619
From what I see this tag is from 1965 model year. I'm pretty sure that the tags was different between 1964 and 1965 but I'm not 100% sure!
Above the paint code there was PNT up until mid October of 1964 and PAINT after that. I junked a badly rear ended 1965 Barracuda. The engine block was casted in January of 1964 but it also had a tag from Chrysler telling it was a power pack option engine. I have been thinking it might be a "test mule" before the 4bbl engine vent into production. I still got that engine in by blue baby!

DSC_0999.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG

1965 was the 1st year for the commando and formula s. A December 1964 build date is about mid way through the production year

Nice car

My Formula S has a scheduled build date of December 10th, 1964.

bSzebzu.jpg

There are two guys locally that were selling 273's. One guy claimed his was our of a Barracuda and fresh but he wants almost 4 grand. The other as I remember was reasonable. I'll try to locate those.

We have to replace the seats (covers) we see that there are reproductions in red and black does anyone know of anybody who makes them in different colors ? She is looking for gold or a med brown

We have to replace the seats (covers) we see that there are reproductions in red and black does anyone know of anybody who makes them in different colors ? She is looking for gold or a med brown

Gold is an available color, not sure about Medium Brown

A major difference between 1964 and 1965 was the 64's had push button automatic transmissions.

That sounds like a great combo. ....no way to find out for us on original as the build sheet was eaten by mice :(
I also once tried to buy a 64 dart gt convert, dark blue metallic with a baby blue "spear" down the sides, baby blue convertible top, and dk blue metallic seat bolsters, w baby blue seat inserts. Absolutely stunning combo.

Road trip? I got a 64 block. Orange County, CA. My SO number is 401 00001...April fools! bit it may have been the first of April 1. Block is stamped 63!

Any suggestions on best way to remove upper control arm bolts. ...we broke the nuts off and can't get them to tap out. Also the upper ball joint cap is it like most that push on or do they screw on?

20180221_153306.jpg

the ball joints unscrew with the proper special ball joint socket. They are one piece, or should I say, an assembly.
For the cam bolts, I'd suggest soaking them with a good penetrating oil and hit them with an impact gun to break them free

-
Back