66 Barracuda Floor Console

-

PolarBear

Reaction score
I have a '65 Barracuda, automatic on the floor. Is there any reason a '66 Barracuda (or Dart) floor console would not fit this car? Anybody have experience with this swap?

i think the 66 uses the full console like the 67 up. the 65 is a small console.
might fit with a little work.
i am sure someone will chime in and answer this for ya

I believe the 66 shifter handle (which will not work with a 65 trans) is a round rod instead of the flat rod they used in 65. The 65 shifter is moved sideways to go through the detents and the 66 has a button. So I think it will probably work, but there will likely be a 1/4"gap around the shifter handle. And yes 66 was a full console.

The '66-type "full" console effect is what I'm after. I thought about trying to fab one for my '65, but by the time I buy the material and spend the hours - I could just buy a '66 unit. I've seen some used ones on eBay and other sites for anywhere from $200 to $600.

But my concern (other than the different shifter - thanks mcnoople - good comment) is the width between my bucket seats. Anybody out there with a bucket seat '66? How much space do you have between the seats?

As mentioned earlier in the thread you will have to adapt the '65 cable operated shifter to the console but I think that can be done with a good result.
You have a good point concerning the seats, the '65 and earlier buckets are no doubt wider than the later ones.
I knew I had this picture somewhere and finally found it. It's the interior of a (rough) '65 Valiant Signet that was for sale in Sweden some years ago. Original '65 buckets and later console. As you can see it's a tight fit but absolutely possible :)

Attachments

• bluesignetinterior.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 294
Great picture! Thanks Rocket-Racing. I think it pretty well eliminates my concerns.

Now I guess all I need is a '66 console from a black or gold interior. Anybody got one?

Floorpans are the same, so there should be no clearance issues. Seat width is also the same from 64 though 66. The shifter difference may cause you the most problem, and you need the floor mounting brackets from the 66 console as well. Heres a couple pics of my 66, which looks to have the same clearance as the 65 Rocket pictured!! Good luck with the install!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4292.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_4293.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,234
As stated above 65 has short shifter console and 66 has the long one with storage space in it. I have a nice 66 console sitting in my 65 cuda back in Maryland, soon will be getting it to my new home here in Chicago. The car is perfect driving condition done restoration, just needs some paint to finish the job. If you are interested in the console I am willing to sell it as it does not have use in the 65. It is left over from my previous 66 cuda and in perfect condition. I thought I could utilize it in this car but not worth the fight to set it up.

I would bet that you could use the plastic slider (black plastic that covers the hole in the shifter housing) from the 65 in the 66 and you wont have a gap.

I've had the console housing in black, red and gold, and may also be available in other colors as well. The top plates would all be silver with black accent though, unless it's a 70 or later unit!! Geof

-
Back